Do you give money to people panhandling?

Absolutely not. If people are that desperate for money I'd gladly give them directions to the job centre!

I normally say no and get abuse. I think to be honest, there are times where you may as well do it for your own safety, but then wouldnt that be mugging?

Sometimes, yes. I've been known to give both money and food to people, and sometimes even a spare prepaid bus ticket if they're looking for change for one.

I know firsthand life isn't as simple as people make it out to be. I almost ended up homeless myself at one point in my life so there's no way I'm going to judge those people who ended up in crappy circumstances. I tend to kind of pay it forward a lot in general so this is no exception for me.

It's hard where I live because it's hard to tell who really needs it. We've got legit homeless, drug addicts, hipsters who don't want a job and hippies looking for money to get to the next festival/concert. And I've personally known people in each category.

Yes I have done, but usually buy the Big Issue, there are a lot of sellers where I live. I agree with what LavenderLove has said.

Absolutely not. If people are that desperate for money I'd gladly give them directions to the job centre!

I think it's very simplistic to assume the only reason someone might be so desperate for money is because they can't be bothered to get a job!

I have in the past, food too but depends on the situation. One guy I've become friends with, talking to them is just as important for some as many people act like they're invisible x

You can only get benefits with an address and a bank account so pretty pointless directing them there, when they won't help!

No I don't. I haven't come accross an actual homeless person looking for money where I live.

I've had a young lad asking for money because he had lost his friends in town and they had his bus ticket so wanted money to get home. Sounds fair enough....but the lad was there every day saying the same thing.

There is one woman who sells the Big Issue in our town. I have seen her texting on a brand new iPhone and been dropped off by her husband/partner (kisses him and says "bye, love you, see you later") in a Range Rover.....so no I do not buy the Big Issue from her.

No I don't. I haven't come accross an actual homeless person looking for money where I live.

I've had a young lad asking for money because he had lost his friends in town and they had his bus ticket so wanted money to get home. Sounds fair enough....but the lad was there every day saying the same thing.

There is one woman who sells the Big Issue in our town. I have seen her texting on a brand new iPhone and been dropped off by her husband/partner (kisses him and says "bye, love you, see you later") in a Range Rover.....so no I do not buy the Big Issue from her.

It's not always clear cut though is it, for example some Big Issue sellers are given iphones to report the news...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-13791691

Having said that, there are always going to be a small number of people taking advantage in all walks of life and it's quite sad that these people will make it harder for people who really need help.

You can only get benefits with an address and a bank account so pretty pointless directing them there, when they won't help!

I probably wouldn't even talk to them to be fair, or notice them. I'm too busy generally. If they asked me, I'd say no and walk off.

They're no way entitled / more deserving to my money than me, my daughter, her future, my retirement etc so they're not getting it!

I am referring to the same situation as linsey, I'm quite a generous person but it's the same faces, same types...have I got money, a cigarette...I wouldn't turn anyone down I could see was in genuine need but it's so common for people to collect money and spend it on cigs/drugs. I lived with someone like that when I was younger. money was never spent wisely and that's how he always got into that situation.

No I don't. I don't even stop and that's partly because when I was at uni, and just turned 18, I received so much abuse from a guy selling the big issue outside the underground!

I am referring to the same situation as linsey, I'm quite a generous person but it's the same faces, same types...have I got money, a cigarette...I wouldn't turn anyone down I could see was in genuine need but it's so common for people to collect money and spend it on cigs/drugs. I lived with someone like that when I was younger. money was never spent wisely and that's how he always got into that situation.

When I worked, I would nip out for a quick cig and you could guarantee every time "Ere, Mate, can I have a fag off ya?" I would point them to the Tesco Express over the road and explained that they sold them. 😁

When I worked, I would nip out for a quick cig and you could guarantee every time "Ere, Mate, can I have a fag off ya?" I would point them to the Tesco Express over the road and explained that they sold them. 😁

Aye every time :growlmad: and the abuse :nope: I was everything under the sun. At night i would go out for a cig outside our flat and there would always be someone asking for one. :dohh: It was one of the reasons I stopped, but I dont understand why I cant have my own things and suffer when I say no. I work for my little money, and the majority of people that ask me could sure do the same.

No I don't ever. I don't even stop to talk to them nor listen to their patter.

Id happily donate to a food bank/local charity etc but not somebody sitting on the street.

In general, no. I do help needy when I can, but I'd rather donate to causes I choose than just give handouts to people begging, when the majority may just blow it on drugs and booze. I did throw money at a homeless man once, though, as he scared me so badly. It was when I was in school for my masters, and had a night job at a private lab. I had just gotten in my car, it was dark, and this guy popped out of nowhere banging on my window yelling for money. So I threw what I had behind him, so he'd turn around to go get it, and got the heck out of there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->