Do you give money to people panhandling?

Sometimes. It's not a black and white issue. Life is a complicated mess of a game and people can fall into absolute poverty for any combination of thousands of reasons. Jobcentres are sanctioning people on ludicrous grounds, leaving them with no money whatsoever for weeks on end and not everyone has a support network. As for those with addiction problems, the system has a lot to answer for in treating them as criminal scum rather than individuals with difficulties in life that need support.

Sometimes. It's not a black and white issue. Life is a complicated mess of a game and people can fall into absolute poverty for any combination of thousands of reasons. Jobcentres are sanctioning people on ludicrous grounds, leaving them with no money whatsoever for weeks on end and not everyone has a support network. As for those with addiction problems, the system has a lot to answer for in treating them as criminal scum rather than individuals with difficulties in life that need support.

totally agree :D

Usually not because generally the people that panhandle here are the Roma professional beggars who drug babies to keep them quiet while they sit with them on the street to get extra sympathy so I don't want to encourage that. But I do sometimes give money to buskers etc. and I gave money to disabled veterans on the streets in Russia.

Its pretty hard to end up homeless in Finland thankfully so don't really see many panhandlers, none in my town whatsoever.

Usually not because generally the people that panhandle here are the Roma professional beggars who drug babies to keep them quiet while they sit with them on the street to get extra sympathy so I don't want to encourage that. But I do sometimes give money to buskers etc. and I gave money to disabled veterans on the streets in Russia.

Its pretty hard to end up homeless in Finland thankfully so don't really see many panhandlers, none in my town whatsoever.

Busking is not the same at all :flower: panhandling is explicitly asking strangers for money, whereas busking is street performance, providing entertainment, to which people can walk on by if they wish or choose to give money if they wish. It's an important distinction which has been unfortunately muddied in some places where local lawmakers have decided to try and get rid of beggars. These policies and their implementation have the direct effect of encouraging beggars to make a token and often dismal attempt to play a tune on a penny whistle or something similarly cheap and easily acquired, to avoid arrest or whatever else. Which gives good street entertainment a bad name.

It's good to hear it's hard to end up homeless in Finland - policies must be rather more progressive than here.

Busking is not the same at all :flower: panhandling is explicitly asking strangers for money, whereas busking is street performance, providing entertainment, to which people can walk on by if they wish or choose to give money if they wish. It's an important distinction which has been unfortunately muddied in some places where local lawmakers have decided to try and get rid of beggars. These policies and their implementation have the direct effect of encouraging beggars to make a token and often dismal attempt to play a tune on a penny whistle or something similarly cheap and easily acquired, to avoid arrest or whatever else. Which gives good street entertainment a bad name.

It's good to hear it's hard to end up homeless in Finland - policies must be rather more progressive than here.

Yeah I wasn't really sure if it was considered the same thing or not, thanks for for clearing that up.

Policies definitely are more progressive here. Even though there are some kind of sanctions with unemployment money there's still always welfare to fall back onto.

It's a real thought provoking thread!

I asked because while I do often give money/food/gifts at Christmas to people on the street and try to be nice to them (not including the obviously Roma people selling the Big Issue- not for racist reasons, honestly, the only thing I'm remotely racist about is my bread, but because it was been shown that it's all linked to Romanian gangs and the money doesn't even get near to homeless people) I've always had it in the back of my mind, oh what if they spend it on drink/drugs? But then even if you're desperate and in the throes of addiction I guess you still need help and need food? I read an article the other day which made me think, though can't find the link now unfortunately! Anyway it said a lot of things that made sense but one point that stood out is that yes, people may buy alcohol, but when you're sleeping on the streets sometimes it's the only way to get warm and manage to get any sleep at all.

No. Never. Had a few bad experiences with that sort of thing and it put me off.

If they're pestering and generally being a bother I don't. There's a guy in particular I see in all different parts of the city, asking for walking directions to a hospital miles away (always the same hospital, and there's about four hospitals between where he is and the one he's going to). He often has a bandage wrapped about his person with obvious red paint on it too. If you give him the walking directions he goes into a big conversation about how he can't afford to get there by public transport, so most people feel sorry for him and offer the money. Honestly this guy is pretty well dressed, often has a smartphone pressed to his ear, I don't know why he does it. But he always gets the directions from me :lol:
I've given food/clothing/money to homeless on the streets though, and I donate to homeless charities on occasion. Tbh for some reason Lucas is really affected seeing people on the streets so whenever we walk past he pesters me for money to give to them.

I have given money, but I often give food or a warm drink as I prefer to know what the money goes on. I can see needing alcohol to get you through a cold night though.

No never, I have on occasion asked a person as I am going in to get food for myself if they need a drink or some food though.

xx

Here's a question for you... is it better to give money to someone begging, knowing they could spend it on drugs OR not give the money but that person then mugs someone/steals to get drug money because they're desperate and nothing is going to stop them finding a way to get drugs?

I don't know what panhandling is, but I give money to buskers (I have only seen them sitting outside the supermarket and so will get a couple of dollars out with my purchase) and I bought a pizza for a homeless lady once.

Having actual cash on my person isn't common though and pretty old fashioned in this day and age. So I don't usually have anything more than a 20c coin.

The buskers here are usually German and Dutch backpackers and quite cool people.

You guys must be pretty generous! I don't think any donation of mine would buy a box of paracetamol let alone any drugs that could sustain a high lol!

No never, I have on occasion asked a person as I am going in to get food for myself if they need a drink or some food though.

xx

I've given food before too. Actually, I'm much more likely to give them food/drink if I have it on me, as at least I'll know what I'm giving, and won't later worry that money went to drugs/alcohol.

I can see the point about alcohol keeping them warm on cold nights, but I still don't think I could support that. I'd rather just give them food if I have extra.

I don't know what panhandling is, but I give money to buskers (I have only seen them sitting outside the supermarket and so will get a couple of dollars out with my purchase) and I bought a pizza for a homeless lady once.

Having actual cash on my person isn't common though and pretty old fashioned in this day and age. So I don't usually have anything more than a 20c coin.

The buskers here are usually German and Dutch backpackers and quite cool people.

You guys must be pretty generous! I don't think any donation of mine would buy a box of paracetamol let alone any drugs that could sustain a high lol!

Agree! I rarely ever have cash on me, even if I were so inclined to give. I pay mainly with debit/credit, I just don't like carrying cash on me. Only if I know I'm going to need it for a parking garage or something like that do I even have it on me.

I think when you live in a town long enough you can identify those with genuine need and those are considered "professional beggers" making a fair amount a week on top of benefits and actually being housed.
I absolutely will give to genuine causes, nobody can predict how life will go and its an incredibly selfish thing to think "well its not me or my family so why should i care?" that kind of attitude disgusts me, what society can build and grow and move forward if its people have that kind of mindset?
Buskers i will give too if i like what they are doing.
Whats a pound to you really? Is it that much? If you'll spend it on booze or krap food or something you don't need is it so hard to give it to someone who might need it to survive?
Our Government is seriously lacking in helping our homeless, they can't work without a fixed address, councils will say its difficult to house the homeless because they are uncontactable. Drug addiction is looked at as a crime instead of a cry for help.
It makes me feel sick to think our councils, mps and governments can get away with leaving its own people on the streets to starve and beg and the people, us, can sit and say "oh well not my problem" its your country, its your fellow humans and it SHOULD BE your problem.

I will. My best friend and my daughter's father have both been street homeless at points in their life. It's easy to just pretend that this sort of thing doesn't happen, they they can just walk into the council and say "gimme a house" but it simply doesn't work like that.

What if they spend it on alcohol? Well once it's left my hand and entered theirs, it's not my money anymore. I don't worry what tescos is gonna spend my money on when I buy loo roll.

As the child of a homeless mother, as well as having been homeless myself as a teenager, it is depressing to read some of the responses I have. When I was a teenager, my father broke his back (he was a construction worker) and my mother lost her job due to downsizing. The economy was terrible, my parents didn't have a "rainy day" account, and our only option was for me to drop out of high school and work fast food to try to support our family. Unfortunately, the pay just wasn't enough and we soon found ourselves living both in our car, and at a campground. It was only due to the generosity of non-judgemental strangers that we were able to have clothes on our back and food in our bellies during a very dark time in our lives. Had you asked me a year prior if this would be my reality, I would have smirked, rolled my eyes, and laughed off the possibility of it with an emphatic "That would NEVER happen to me!". Oh how wrong I was.
After obtaining my GED I joined the Navy, and proudly served as an airborne cryptologist for 10 years before taking a job with an intel agency. I am now a college graduate, speak 3 languages, and serve as an intelligence analyst protecting the lives of our forward-deployed service members. I would venture to say that not many would have predicted such a future for me having seen me climb out of a tent to throw the same tattered clothes on day in and day out, or waking up in my car searching for a waterfountain in which I could brush my teeth. It took a lot of hard work to get where I am, but it also took individuals treating me like a human being when I was at my worst. It took compassion. I can almost understand if someone can't be bothered to spare a dollar, that's their choice. But to not look someone in the eye? Ridiculous.
One last thing: As a disabled veteran, I have witnessed firsthand the issues, both mental and physical, that many servicemembers face as they return from war. The stigma that surrounds PTSD is still alive and well, and causes many servicemembers to refrain from seeking mental health assistance that they may need regardless of whether or not they recognize it. Once they separate from the military, they are turned over to the VA system (don't get me started). Not only is the financial safety net of the military gone, but the mental heath care they may or may not receive while stuck in the VA system is typically minimal at best. One cannot begin to understand the consuming anxiety someone with PTSD faces until they witness it firsthand. For many of these veterans, they have difficulties keeping themselves on their feet and employed. Sadly enough, many begin to self medicate and travel down a road that leads to homelessness. The next time you see a dirty man on the street talking to himself or yelling nonsense, understand that he may be suffering from something more than you can comprehend. Something that is ugly and possibly out of his control. Perhaps he's not there just to annoy you or offend. Perhaps he has chosen or been forced to degrade himself to begging (and being seen as less than worthy) because he truly has no other options.

Some beg because they are lazy, some beg because they are thieves, and some beg because they are desperate. I'm living proof that you can never judge a book by its cover.

Hugs Trichick :hugs:

I think the main issue here is how you distinguish those who are in real need of a bit of loose change and those taking advantage of peoples good nature, taking money when they dont actually need it etc. How do we make that call? And of all the people in real need, how do we choose who to give to? We can't give freely to everyone?

I live in a small village so you don't come across this situation at all but when I moved away to uni aged 18 (to a big city) I was SHOCKED that there were people living on the streets and people frequently asking for money because Id never actually encountered it before (only ever heard of it and seen it on tv). Naturally I helped people out as often as I could until eventually over the three years I lived there I became so much more aware of who was in real need and who wasnt. I was no longer prepared to give the man sat outside Wilkinsons everyday a bit of change for him to go and spend it on the Special Brew he used to hide under his blanket. I wasn't prepared to give to the man who sat outside the Bookies who would wait till he had a nice little kitty in his change pot and then go inside and spend it. It is very difficult to KNOW these things unless you experience it frequently and get a good idea of who is taking the p*ss and who isn't. Idont think it is fair at all to berate people for not giving to strangers who openly ask for your hard earned money because it isnt always as simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->