Do you have any odd pregnancy or birth traditions where you're from?

zanDark

<3 IVF mom <3
Reaction score
Just a random thread. We have quite a few traditions here that most will find strange :haha: I thought it would be interesting to see if other countries or religions have any unusual traditions regarding pregnancy or birth :flower:

Some of ours are:

• After you give birth, both you and the baby need to stay in the house for 40 days. At 40 days you go to the church with the baby and are blessed by a priest, after that you're free to take baby out. (This stemmed from a lot of women working in fields and farms in the old days, it gave them a chance to rest, but kind of stuck as a tradition.)
  • Once the baby is born, you're not supposed to hang any washing that belongs to you or the baby outside during the night, or else evil spirits will come for you or your baby (kinda creepy lol)
  • During pregnancy you're not supposed to lift your arms over your head because it will cause the baby to get tangled in the cord.
  • While you're pregnant, if you crave for something you need to eat it, otherwise the baby will have big birthmarks.
  • You're not allowed to cut the baby's hair until you have him/her baptized...the priest cuts a piece of their hair off as a part of the ceremony and needs to be the first to do so.

Obviously a lot of women don't follow most of these any more (other than the staying at home for forty days, and not cutting baby's hair) and it freaks a lot of the older people out :haha:

What are some old traditions or old wives tales that you've heard? :flower:

Just a random thread. We have quite a few traditions here that most will find strange :haha: I thought it would be interesting to see if other countries or religions have any unusual traditions regarding pregnancy or birth :flower:

Some of ours are:

• After you give birth, both you and the baby need to stay in the house for 40 days. At 40 days you go to the church with the baby and are blessed by a priest, after that you're free to take baby out. (This stemmed from a lot of women working in fields and farms in the old days, it gave them a chance to rest, but kind of stuck as a tradition.)
  • Once the baby is born, you're not supposed to hang any washing that belongs to you or the baby outside during the night, or else evil spirits will come for you or your baby (kinda creepy lol)
  • During pregnancy you're not supposed to lift your arms over your head because it will cause the baby to get tangled in the cord.
  • While you're pregnant, if you crave for something you need to eat it, otherwise the baby will have big birthmarks.
  • You're not allowed to cut the baby's hair until you have him/her baptized...the priest cuts a piece of their hair off as a part of the ceremony and needs to be the first to do so.

Obviously a lot of women don't follow most of these any more (other than the staying at home for forty days, and not cutting baby's hair) and it freaks a lot of the older people out :haha:

What are some old traditions or old wives tales that you've heard? :flower:

The 40 days one here too!! Although I dont think anyone in our generation really follows it. I was in the mall 3 days after giving birth to my youngest dd.

The craving one too. If you craved something during pregnancy and didnt eat it, the baby will get a birthmark. Although my grandma says the birthmark will be where ever the mom touched on her body while craving it.

No having sex for 40 days after baby is born, after that the woman is allowed to have sex. Why?? I have no idea why.

Im sure there are more, but those are just what popped into mind.

Looking forward to hearing everyone elses too!

ooo there must be more ?? looking forward to reading them,

Here I don't think there are any (south wales GB)

Im a muslim and we have birth traditions that we must follow.

I.e. sacrificing one sheep for a girl and two for a boy after they are born.

Boys get circumcised

Both genders have their hair shaved off and the weight in silver given to charity.

Women arent allowed to pray for 40days due to post natal bleeding similar to not being allowed to.pray when you are on your period.

Im sure there is more but baby brain taking over lol

I had no idea Muslims cannot pray during their period? Why is that?

I have not heard any of these. Very interesting!

Don't have any where I'm from really, my hubby has lots!
You have to steam your vagina every dawn and dusk for 3 months after the baby is born - NOT happening!
Hang a rabbits foot from the crib to keep away evil spirits- also not happening!
Not cutting hair for a year too,

There's more but can't think of them off the top of my head!

As far as im aware its because you cannot be in a state of cleanliness whilst you have your period which is a requirement for the five daily prayers. However, you can still pray to God in other ways other than the five obligatory prayers muslims have.
Also it can be seen as a mercy to women during a time when their bodies are going through alot anyway. Eg. those who have really bad periods.

As far as im aware its because you cannot be in a state of cleanliness whilst you have your period which is a requirement for the five daily prayers. However, you can still pray to God in other ways other than the five obligatory prayers muslims have.
Also it can be seen as a mercy to women during a time when their bodies are going through alot anyway. Eg. those who have really bad periods.

*ritual cleanliness. Obviously a woman can be 'clean' during her period. But cannot be in ritual cleanliness i.e. wudhu which has requirements and one of those is not to have flowing blood.

Don't have any where I'm from really, my hubby has lots!
You have to steam your vagina every dawn and dusk for 3 months after the baby is born - NOT happening!
Hang a rabbits foot from the crib to keep away evil spirits- also not happening!
Not cutting hair for a year too,

There's more but can't think of them off the top of my head!

Steam your vagina? Where is your husband from? Lol. Although I suppose it could be soothing if the steam isn't too close, hmm.

Jamaica! Made it clear it wasn't happening!!

There is an article on it here, dont think its something I will be trying tho...
https://natural-fertility-info.com/vagina-steam.html

these are so interesting! thanks for sharing!! :flower:

Sept2010, our religion is similar when it comes to periods, we're not supposed to go to church when we have them since we're considered unclean...but I doubt people adhere to that any more :flower:

This is a really interesting thread!.... The one about the birthmarks and cravings made me laugh though :haha:

Sept2010, that must suck not being able to pray when on your period as everyone will then know why!.... I have a friend from Nepal whp says that women live on the roof during their period! I think they're Hindu, not sure.

We don't have any traditions, although my mil tells me off for putting my hands above my head or eating spicy food! Not sure why though!

This is a really interesting thread!.... The one about the birthmarks and cravings made me laugh though :haha:

Sept2010, that must suck not being able to pray when on your period as everyone will then know why!.... I have a friend from Nepal whp says that women live on the roof during their period! I think they're Hindu, not sure.

We don't have any traditions, although my mil tells me off for putting my hands above my head or eating spicy food! Not sure why though!

Its not that bad... i dont people knowing im on my period. Its natural :haha:

Its not that bad... i dont mind people knowing im on my period. Its natural :haha:

Its not that bad... i dont mind people knowing im on my period. Its natural :haha:

:haha: You're right, it is completely natural! Everyone knows you have one each month. It's a bit like when you tell your parents your pregnant, it means that they definately know you've been having sex :blush: No matter how old you are it's still daunting telling them!

1. Can't go to a funeral while pregnant or the baby's neck will be wrapped by an umbilical cord

2. After a month, there MUST be a party for the baby to welcome him/her and to bring luck for the baby

dont think we have any traditions here, but its very interesting to read this thread.

i know Indians(ppl from india) shave the babys heads shaved too. Not sure if they donate as I know that is important/one of the 5 pilars of muslims. I know my husband has some muslims who follow all this and others are not in the faith pick n choose. The mother/father of the boy children are usually the ones following it more closely. especially first born males.

Sorry our kid is keeping its hair I refuse to explain that no my baby is not dying of brain issue. Plus I am not muslim. I know when baby is born IF we see his family this will be brought up.

I have heard from my area(East Coast, USA) not to lift arms to high and not to stretch back to far. Spicy food will give you a crying baby/mean baby.

Eat to many strawberries baby gets a birthmark.

Conception could be prevented if an enemy tied a knot in a handkerchief at the time of marriage; no child would be born to that couple until the knot was loosed.

A pregnant woman had to avoid meeting a hare otherwise her child would be born with a hare-lip (séanas). If the woman on meeting the hare tore the hem of her clothes, she transferred the blemish to it, or, if she could catch the hare and tear it's ear she could prevent the hare-lip.

A pregnant woman shouldn't enter a graveyard in case she twisted her foot on a grave, then the child would be born with a clubfoot (cam reilge).

Pregnant women should not remain in a house while a corpse was being placed in the coffin, nor act as sponsor to a bride.

A child born after its father had died was destined to have special powers.

A child born at night would have the power of seeing ghosts and fairies; but one born on Sunday, at twelve noon or twelve midnight any day, or between twelve noon and twelve midnight would not have this power.

Whit Sunday was regarded as an unlucky time to be born; such a person would either be killed, or else was destined to kill; a live worm was crushed in such a baby's hand soon after birth to make sure it would not kill.

Animals or humans born on May Day were said to be assured of good luck.

It was not considered a lucky omen to have three persons born in any house on the same month.

The fairies (Fairies - poem)were always trying to take away new born babies or nursing mothers, so there were customs to prevent this happening:
A cloth exposed on the eve of St. Brigid's feast day was lucky and used on the mother and child. Oatmeal was given to the mother when the baby had been born, a piece of iron or a cinder (aingeal) concealed in the baby's dress; the tongs placed across the cradle; unsalted butter was placed in the baby's mouth; or a red ribbon was tied across the cradle.

How interesting! Thanks for the info. I learn something every day on here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->