Do you have any odd pregnancy or birth traditions where you're from?

Thanks for sharing everyone! I love reading all of this!
I don't know of any traditions, how ever, this does remind me of a poem.

Monday's child is fair in face
Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go
Friday's child is loving and giving and
Saturday's child works hard for his living,
But the child that's born on the Sabbath Day
is loving and giving, good and gay!

Sorry our kid is keeping its hair I refuse to explain that no my baby is not dying of brain issue. Plus I am not muslim. I know when baby is born IF we see his family this will be brought up.

Baby dying of brain issue?.. thats abit insensitive...

Plus a baby with a hair loss due to health looks completely different to a baby with a shaved head. You can see where its been shaved from near the forehead!!!

Think you misunderstood.

I do not want to explain to non indians/pakis/muslims that my SHAVED infant is shaved for traditions and not shaved due to undergoing surgery for brain swelling or water on the brain(staples or incsion would be noticable even if glue was used). Or even chemo. I am white husband is desi so when we go out locally it is not usually to desi stores it is to general population who is not aware of the practice of shaving infants heads as part of culture.

Plus it is not my culture so I do not feel the need to do something like that. Husband sees no reason either as he is not muslim and was brought up as mostly non muslim minus the no dating and arranged marriage. They never prayed/went to mosque but did refrain from eating pig/drinking.

Think you misunderstood.

I do not want to explain to non indians/pakis/muslims that my SHAVED infant is shaved for traditions and not shaved due to undergoing surgery for brain swelling or water on the brain(staples or incsion would be noticable even if glue was used). Or even chemo. I am white husband is desi so when we go out locally it is not usually to desi stores it is to general population who is not aware of the practice of shaving infants heads as part of culture.

Plus it is not my culture so I do not feel the need to do something like that. Husband sees no reason either as he is not muslim and was brought up as mostly non muslim minus the no dating and arranged marriage. They never prayed/went to mosque but did refrain from eating pig/drinking.

Thats kool...what you n your hubby do is your business :)

Im not offended but you really need to remember you are writing on a public forum. Referring to pakistanis as 'pakis' is unacceptable. Just a word of advice.

I have only done it as I see no difference then saying the brits, jews, heck even in muslim forums they will say pbuh or swt abbreviated. It was not intended to be mean and I think most people can see that.

If he was even semi practicing I could understand but we are both not involved in any religion so no need. Around me you really just do no see shaved heads unless baby was born very sick and needed medical treatment. Go hour north to the desi community and you will see up to a dozen in a few hours. First time I was there sitting in car eating I was like oh my-that baby must be so sick the poor parents must have been through heck. He looked and had to explain that that was normal for his culture. I was born in USA and had NEVER saw or heard that in 25 or so years.

I have only done it as I see no difference then saying the brits, jews, heck even in muslim forums they will say pbuh or swt abbreviated. It was not intended to be mean and I think most people can see that.

If he was even semi practicing I could understand but we are both not involved in any religion so no need. Around me you really just do no see shaved heads unless baby was born very sick and needed medical treatment. Go hour north to the desi community and you will see up to a dozen in a few hours. First time I was there sitting in car eating I was like oh my-that baby must be so sick the poor parents must have been through heck. He looked and had to explain that that was normal for his culture. I was born in USA and had NEVER saw or heard that in 25 or so years.

Yeh..im not offended by the word 'paki' but i know some people would be. So just saying. As for 'pbuh' and 'swt' they are abbreviations. Slightly different to shortening words. Anyway this thread is about traditions etc so lets stick to that.

It makes sense if you dont associate with a religion etc that you wont be doing those rituals. Jus like i wouldnt expect a christian to do.muslim birth rituals and vice versa. :)

Well I do enjoy ramadan, but for all the wrong reasons I know. Amazing eating the foods not made often/can't get at any stall in community.
Curious anyone have any regarding the placenta/cord. I THINK it was chinese neighbor of my Aunt who kept it think she mentioned burying it at some point. I know placenta encapulation is gaining popularity.

1. Can't go to a funeral while pregnant or the baby's neck will be wrapped by an umbilical cord

2. After a month, there MUST be a party for the baby to welcome him/her and to bring luck for the baby

Just curious, where are those traditions from? :)

1. Can't go to a funeral while pregnant or the baby's neck will be wrapped by an umbilical cord

2. After a month, there MUST be a party for the baby to welcome him/her and to bring luck for the baby

Oh no! I went to a funeral last weekend! Maybe it doesnt count though as I had to leave the room 10 minutes into it as my toddler was laughing too loudly?

I cant really think of any traditions, apart from my mum and granny insisting that I tape the belly button shut so that it doesnt become an outie.

I had to leave the room 10 minutes into it as my toddler was laughing too loudly?

I am sorry but LOL!!! I went to a funderal many years ago for Aunt I rarely saw and there were a few younger kids doing the same. It really took the edge off the rest of the people though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->