Do you let your baby get messy?

I

Ilikecake

Hi ladies. Just a simple yes or no question.

James started at nursery a few weeks back and they always do messy play which he adored. I decided to start doing the same at home with various foods and paint. Whenever I put pictures of him on FB I always get the "omg how can you let him get messy like that". I've never actually had anyone say that they do the same. He's in hospital at the moment and they're doing arts and crafts for all the children, James got well and truly stuck in and as per usual LOVED it. Posted some pictures on FB and was met with the usual responses.

Which got me thinking...am I really that odd and am I the only person that doesn't mind her baby/house getting messy. It always cleans off :shrug:

So simply...do you let your LO get messy?

Well, I didn't answer because Alex isn't at the messy stage yet :winkwink: But isn't that the point of being a kid? To get messy? Some people are too uptight :nope:

I will when she's older!!!

Aye, my eldest has always been a muck magnet, he loves painting with his hands, making colages etc, I do too :) we've had a few accidents, painting the cat for instance, but he enjoys himself! I'll be the same with Cas, it all comes off with a wipe/bath so why not?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one, even my friends with toddlers won't let them get messy.

Lol @ the poor cat :rofl:

Kids were made to play in muck & dirt all day. I've never been concerned about mess. Of course, with a reflux baby, that's never been a choice anyways!

My BIL's son cut his forehead open at school and his mom (BIL's fiancee) had drilled into him not to get his clothes dirty that he was more worried about getting in trouble for dirty clothes than his wound :nope:

My BIL's son cut his forehead open at school and his mom (BIL's fiancee) had drilled into him not to get his clothes dirty that he was more worried about getting in trouble for dirty clothes than his wound :nope:

Poor boy :nope:

My friend has a 3 year old and she's that worried about him getting messy that she's asked nursery to remove him from any messy activities :wacko:

Yep, Holly loves messy play. They do it at a baby group I go to. It surprised me that quite a few parents didn't let their babies do it, even though they weren't young babies.

I don't mind her getting messy but I'll let her save the strip to nappy/pants and rolling around with full body paint for nursery thanks :D

This is where me and OH disagree. I believe kids need to get messy to learn about everything around them and able to just have fun. Hubby cannot stand it whatsoever, but he has OCD and super neat freak. When my daughter was learning to eat with a spoon he always cleaned her face in-between bites. Drove me crazy! LOL

I dont have a choice with chloe, the house could be spotless (which it never is!!) and chloe would still find something to put over herself and she has also decided each mealtime to rub at least one spoonful of food in her hair!! I think children learn through messy play and like you said it always washes off:shrug:

This is where me and OH disagree. I believe kids need to get messy to learn about everything around them and able to just have fun. Hubby cannot stand it whatsoever, but he has OCD and super neat freak. When my daughter was learning to eat with a spoon he always cleaned her face in-between bites. Drove me crazy! LOL

That would drive me mad!

I'm a freak, I love getting messy and arty stuff so it's as much for me as James :haha::haha:

My mum even called me odd for letting him sit in the grass during the summer playing with the grass and dirt :wacko: he's had all his immunisations, he didn't eat it...I don't see the problem :shrug:

Yes, fi loves getting messy and I have hot running water! My friend hates it though so I'll be having her lo for messy play sessions when she's older like I did with our big kids lol

Maria gets filthy about half an hour after getting up in the morning :rofl:

I'll be rolling through the mud with her I would think!
And I bet it's more fun painting mummy than the paper. And I really don't care!

I let him get messy, after i have fed him i let him play with his bowl of left over puree and he ends up covered in it, he also has finger foods that get smooshed everywhere and i cant wait until i can get the paints and things out.

I think ill probably be more excited about messy play that he will be!

I think its a bit of a shame tbh when kids arent allowed to join in with messy play especially like someone mentioned about asking for their child to be removed from messy activities at nursery when they see the other kids playing and they cant.

Yes. I will allow my LO to get grubby indoors and out. Pet hate is mothers sanitizing their children continually, probably why we have such a serge in asthma, eczema and allergies in children.

Does a child good getting grubby and even if its just playing with playdough or painting, its good for a child to be creative and inconsequential things such as washing clothes after shouldnt really come into their play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->