Do You Like Your Own Name?

hawalkden

Reaction score
Just wondering if you ladies like your own name?

No don't like it.

1. It's boring and was the most popular name of the mid 70s so there were always loads of people around me called it at school etc. Even now at work I am always referred to as Clare B (even if there are no other Clares in the room). I even went to a meeting the other evening and someone I don't know from another hospital came up to me to introduce himself and said "you're Clare B aren't you?". WTF!

2. It is one syllable so can't be shortened at all. I prefer names that can be shortened so you have some options if you dislike your name (OK you also have the option of your middle name too I guess). My DD is called Arianna which could be shortened to Ari, Anna, Ria or even I guess Aria at a stretch, if she doesn't like Arianna and wants to play around with it. My parents deliberated wanted a name that couldn't be shortened with me, whereas I deliberated wanted one that could be shortened for my child!

i like mine. sophie.. i get soph, sophia, sophs. or my brother calls me soap..im the only sophie at work and was all through school...i dont know many my age..

My first name is Cassidy, but I hate it so much I go by my middle name, Erin. I've never really liked it, but it wasn't until 2nd grade that I started going by Erin. I remember there were 2 other girls in my class named Cassidy and we were labled Cassidy 1, Cassidy 2 and Cassidy 3. Guess who was Cassidy #3? :(

My first name is plain and simple - and my nicknames don't always reflect my name. When you put my first and middle names together it sounds quite professional, which was what my parents were going for. I'm quite content with my name.

I really like my name, Rebecca. Most friends/family call me Becca. I've never been a Becs or a Becky, though. It really irritates me when I introduce myself as Becca or Rebecca, but people call me Becky. I don't identify or recognise myself at all as a Becky, so often don't respond. It's as odd to me as someone calling me Sarah instead.

I've always like my name (Layla) as it was unusual when I was growing up, but still recognisable. I was haunted by people singing Eric Clapton at me though...

I am finding it hard to get used to the fact that it's becoming more common, and frequently look up in playgrounds when people are calling their daughter! I've only ever met one other person my age with my name. I also quite it because it can't really be shortened.

I didnt like my first name (Zoe) growing up and wasnt given a middle name that I could go by, so was stuck with Zoe. I dont mind it now though, as I have gotten older it has grown on me and it is not very common. The most irritating nickname it attracted at school though was Bozo which I didnt appreciate!

My name is Marissa and my middle name is Belle. I like it. Marissa is a little old fashioned but a lot of my friends call me Marie for short. :) I got made fun of in middle school for my middle name being Belle though. My first boyfriend in 8th grade had kind of shaggy hair so everyone would be like "Oh Look, it's Belle and her Beast." And we'd get referred to as Beauty and the Beast. Not fun. :( But it is kind of funny looking back at it now. :p

I love my name, Lara :)

It has always been quite unusual, but not too out there. I have never met another one, although heard of a couple. I was named after the book/film Dr Zhivago and walked down the aisle at my wedding to 'Lara's Theme' from the film :)

It has become more well known now because of Lara Croft, Tomb Raider!!

Yeah, I quite like my name, Tamsin. I've never had to use my surname so people know which Tamsin I am :lol: Fairly unusual but still easy to pronounce etc.

mines Katie, and yes, its ok it suits me, i dont think id suit any other name.

hmm yeah i guess i like mine lol

its Lisa, my friends call me Lee

middle name is Maria..

xo

Nope :nope:

For exactly the same reasons (and spelling, and second initial) as post 2 :wacko:

I like mine (Sinead) there was another Sinead n my class though so I was always Sinead D. My mum and family all call me Neady x

My name's Rachel and I like it. My mum didn't think it could be shortened but now I'm only ever really called Rach! I don't know too many other Rachel's, only one in my school actually and there's only two of us at work (quite a big company). Never had to use my surname to differentiate.

I'm surprised actually that more babies aren't being called Rachel.

ANOTHER Claire here. Very boring but could be worse I suppose.

I like being Molly. It wasn't too common in my generation, so I was usually the only one in the class, but it wasn't obscure either so no one found it weird. It's also quite easy to spell and pronounce, which is always a plus!

I hate my name, I always have. It's so boring, normal, common etc. I was always one of several Sarahs in my class, and I hated feeling so forgettable. Probably the reason with my sons I've tried to give them names that are no where near the top of name lists.

I love Melissa, growing up it was to popular for me and always had to go by Melissa G because there were several of us. I would love to name a little girl Alyssa but hubby won't go for it.

I usually get Mel, Liss, or Lissa

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->