Do you measure by amount of scoops added or the volume in the bottle after?

Jazzy-NICU

Reaction score
OK maybe its a silly question but it was easy when my LO was on 3oz bottles but now he's on 6/7oz its more confusing. I would obv put in 7ozs of water and 7 scoops of powder but then this takes the bottle volume up to nearly 8ozs, so do i judge it as 7 or 8ozs? If LO for example leaves 2ozs has he had 5ozs or 6ozs?
Obv if there having ready made you dont have that problem so i would be inclined to make a ready made bottle up to 8ozs as thats the amount of liquid he could sometimes drink??
I think im just confusing myself even more now lol

hhmm, ive often thought this. i'd like to think it's the total amount in the bottle after being made. it does say on the formula tins, nutrients per 100ml of prepared formula so this would suggest so too. i have a very poor feeder so counting them extra ounces in his daily amount would make a huge difference to my stress levels lol x

Me too! at the moment i count them coz even half an oz a feed adds up over the day!

I go by volume after powder is added. 210ml water + 7 scoops = an 8oz bottle in my book xx

Its volume of water before powder added. We had this question a while back and someone emailed the formula company, and that was their reply.

Aparantly, carton formula is per fluid amount, as its made differently ..

I go by volume after powder is added. 210ml water + 7 scoops = an 8oz bottle in my book xx

no, thats a 7oz bottle, as only 7oz of powder

My lo is on 7's too and I top them up to 8. Confusing!!

oh my life now I am confused!!!!

Its volume of water before powder added. We had this question a while back and someone emailed the formula company, and that was their reply.

i remember this thread, several formula companies were contacted by members, a few replied saying its fluid amount in the bottle after making and a few said its powder amount so i was none the wiser lol x

I was told by my HV that you go by the amount of water in the bottle, so if you put in 6oz water, it's a 6oz bottle regardless of the fact adding the powder takes it up to 7oz. That's how I've always done it anyway x

I just looked on the tin and a carton and the nutritional content of sma is exactly the same on both so I don't understand how it can be different if the nutritional value is per 100mls

yep i was involved in the last thread and we emailed sma and cow and gate. Sma said to go by whatever the volume is after mixing up, c&g said go by its on how much water you start with. My conclusion was that although volume wise there is a little more than you put in after mixing, nutritionally if there are 7 scoops of powder then it is 7 scoops worth of calories etc so you can't call it more. Jx

i remember this thread, several formula companies were contacted by members, a few replied saying its fluid amount in the bottle after making and a few said its powder amount so i was none the wiser lol x

Thats right; different companies said different things xx

yep i was involved in the last thread and we emailed sma and cow and gate. Sma said to go by whatever the volume is after mixing up, c&g said go by its on how much water you start with. My conclusion was that although volume wise there is a little more than you put in after mixing, nutritionally if there are 7 scoops of powder then it is 7 scoops worth of calories etc so you can't call it more. Jx

But the nutritional values are measured as 100mls of prepared formula not per scoop?

I just looked on the tin and a carton and the nutritional content of sma is exactly the same on both so I don't understand how it can be different if the nutritional value is per 100mls

I'm just passing on the message ..

Worth considering this tho....

Instructions say that for a 7oz feed, you (A) take 7oz of water and (B) add 7 scoops.

So if you do (B) and then (A), how would this ever give you anything other than a 7oz bottle

I think the reason you shouldn't do that is technically your not adding enough water so it could be too concentrated and baby could become constipated?
I'm just confused, surely if for example you make a 7oz bottle which goes up to 8ozs after powder and baby only drinks an oz of it- therefore leaving the bottle at 7ozs the baby would still have drunk an oz?? If you class it as a 7ozbottle and there's 7ozs left then it's saying baby has drank nothing when really they have drank an oz?? My god I'm confusing myself even more!!

No, you would add 7oz of water so its the same (you could measure it in another container for example, or if you know 7 scoops + 7 water takes it to 8, you can just top the bottle up to 8)

In your example, baby would have drunk 7/8ths of an oz.

Don't worry about it hun, it matters very little!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->