Do you mind lo's grandparents giving them medicine....

porkypig

Reaction score
without your consent? Im probably overreacting but when i leave my lo at my mils, if hes a bit 'niggly' she'll give him calpol. Obviously there are times when he does need it but, hes the kind of baby thats awlays a bit moany and 'niggly' anyway, i'd be giving him calpol everyday otherwise!!!!

She tells me after shes given it to him, but it just annoys me as i dont really like giving him medicine at the best of times.
what do you think ladies? am i overreacting?? :shrug:

Id want Lilys grandparents to ask my permission, i would want them just giving it her unless she really needed it.
I understand it annoys you, it would annoy me, tell her to ask you in future

No, you'r not overreacting hun. My mum who lives with us, will not give Omar any medicine before asking me. DH used to drop calpol in Omar's feeds without telling me, & I used to get really frustrated & was sooo clear about it, no one is allowed to give him Calpol before asking me. I dont like giving LOs too much calpol, if they dont really need it, why should we give it to them.

i would be pretty annoyed to spesh if shes giving it when there is no reason just because she "thinks" he needs it because his moanin

he does get a bit niggly, and he had been teething a few days back, but he'd been ok these last couple of days. Think is i cant really say it to her as i dont want her to get the hump and i appreciate her looking after lo etc its just this little thing ( and a few other bits) that really annoy the hell out of me. How can i tell her nicely? xx

you are not overreacting and i would be really annoyed. I think its common sense to ask the parents first especially in regards to medicine. x

I would expect a phone call to be asked also what if you gave him that before you brought him over? I would have been double the dose, communication is very important and a phone call to get permission. Your not over-reacting on your feelings.

I would want them to get permission.

V xx

I'd want to be asked first too. You could just tell her that you give him Calpol sometimes too so she needs to check he hasn't had any recently before giving him it. You don't want him getting two doses!

I would expect a phone call to be asked also what if you gave him that before you brought him over? I would have been double the dose, communication is very important and a phone call to get permission. Your not over-reacting on your feelings.

that is a very good point, one in which i hadnt thought of xx

every time i think about it it really infuriates me!!!! thanks everyone xx

I'd want them to ask our permission first too. When Joe was teething really badly, I did take some calpol to my mums and let her know when and how much to give, but I would be annoyed if either her or MIL gave it without asking x

I would be annoyed if my lo's grandparents were willing to give my lo Calpol regularly. I can think of a time when I went to pick my oldest up from my mil (when lo was teething) and mil had given her some Calpol but she was in such pain from her teeth that I was relieved they had some there to give her. But, my dp does work for his parents so he was around so she had probably asked him before she gave it to her.
But if I got back and my lo seemed fine but they had given her some because she was "niggly" I would be really annoyed.
I would just tell them that you have had to give lo Calpol a few times lately due to teething and you would appreciate it if they could ring and ask before they give lo any when your not there.

:flower: xxx

:hugs:

I would feel just like you do.

You can step back from that though and put it together more constructively (should take my own advice :dohh:) Could you tell your MIL what you DO want her to do? ie "If you think he needs Calpol can you give me a ring first?" saying you want to be sure it's not doubling up on doses might soften it if you think she's likely to get annoyed.

Generally people don't want to annoy you, so saying what you do want helps - they don't have to know you're already wanting to poke their eyes out :haha:

I would be pretty annoyed as well!
Can you explain nicely that you only use Calpol when he really needs it ie: for a fever or really bad teething?
If I was to give Charlie Calpol for him being niggly he'd be full of the stuff these days! :flower:
I think it would be best of her to ask you first.

i would be annoyed if LO didnt need it but my gran had calpol at her house when she was watching morgan twice a week for me when morgan was 6months old and morgan was teething really bad i only got a call once because the other few times they used their judgement my gran also has teething gel at hers but i was with her when she bought it and it was me who suggested keeping it at her house

My MIL gives Beth medicine if she think its needed. It never bothers me as i trust her 100%. Its a tough call though - guess its depends on how comfortable u are with it xxx

yes but they know he cant have tylenol (which Im assuming is the same thing) unless he has a fever I just dont give it to him otherwise :shrug:

My mum once gave Ruby medicine when she thought it was needed, I was kind of surprised she didn't check with me first but I do trust her judgement.

I would be the same way. NO one should ever giv eyour child medication without asking first. My mom and dad no better than to do that, or I would be so peeved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->