Do you think it's acceptable to turn up at someone's house unannounced?

porkypig

Reaction score
Or do you not mind? Does it depend on who it is? This is a real bug bear of mine, I like people to at least give me an hour to get myself straight, but ideally the day before to let me know, so I can organise my next day. What are your opinions on this?

I hate hate hate it. I don't mind if its my Mum but that is it. I'm seriously jumpy with my door and terrified to open it especially at night unless I'm expecting someone so I don't appreciate people causing me a heart attack just to 'pop by' but no one really knows my address so its not a big problem for me.x

No I don't, I never just drop in without calling first and it really annoys me when people do it to me. Most people I know have the same opinion thankfully but I know one person who's terrible for it, turning up when we're in the middle of dinner etc.

For me it depends. Who it is, what time of day etc. If a friend turns up and I am busy/just going out I will tell them so and arrange to see them when it's suitable.

Here is my cringingly embarrassing true story from a few years ago:

My Father in law called me on the phone. He said "Next month we are coming to stay with you, We'll be with you at lunch time on the 25th"
I put the phone down looked at my extremely messy house and thought to myself, I really must sort this messy place out, I'd be so ashamed if he could see it as it is.
Thinking is as far as I got. A month was plenty of time to get sorted and if I did manage to tidy up it would only be tidy for a day before it all went to pieces again.
The month became a fortnight and then a week and I thought I really must do something about the mess, but I didn't!
Five days before they came I thought very hard about sorting out and did a bit of the huge washing pile and then the next day I was invited by my mum to go shopping. It's fine I thought, there is plenty of time.
Three days to go and I went to help a friend paint her house.
Two days to go and I went to watch the sports day at school.
One day to go. I woke up and fully intended to get on with it, but a new consignment of Beads arrived and they looked far better than the tidying up! it's ok, I told myself you can tidy up tonight!...... well I could have except that I had forgotten about the parent evening.
Never mind, said the laid back me.... They aren't coming until lunch time.
The following morning I was up at 6am. Got the kids up, breakfasted and dressed and then sent them on their way. I began to tidy up the bedrooms. Folding, packing, dusting, shoving rubbish into bags. This is going really well I told myself as I piled the black bin bags onto the landing. There would be plenty of time to tidy up and then get a shower and get dressed. After all it was only half past eight and I was well on the way to having the bedrooms sorted.
Now for the down stairs with all the mess, last nights pots piled in the sink etc. (and believe me when I say my home is messy I mean it!)
I was just going to go down stairs to tackle the mess when I looked out of the window and saw to my horror my father in law and mother in law walking up the drive...... They were here and I wasn't ready.

I have since learnt my lesson and with clients calling in unexpectedly all the time, I now keep a much tidier house!

Here is my cringingly embarrassing true story from a few years ago:

My Father in law called me on the phone. He said "Next month we are coming to stay with you, We'll be with you at lunch time on the 25th"
I put the phone down looked at my extremely messy house and thought to myself, I really must sort this messy place out, I'd be so ashamed if he could see it as it is.
Thinking is as far as I got. A month was plenty of time to get sorted and if I did manage to tidy up it would only be tidy for a day before it all went to pieces again.
The month became a fortnight and then a week and I thought I really must do something about the mess, but I didn't!
Five days before they came I thought very hard about sorting out and did a bit of the huge washing pile and then the next day I was invited by my mum to go shopping. It's fine I thought, there is plenty of time.
Three days to go and I went to help a friend paint her house.
Two days to go and I went to watch the sports day at school.
One day to go. I woke up and fully intended to get on with it, but a new consignment of Beads arrived and they looked far better than the tidying up! it's ok, I told myself you can tidy up tonight!...... well I could have except that I had forgotten about the parent evening.
Never mind, said the laid back me.... They aren't coming until lunch time.
The following morning I was up at 6am. Got the kids up, breakfasted and dressed and then sent them on their way. I began to tidy up the bedrooms. Folding, packing, dusting, shoving rubbish into bags. This is going really well I told myself as I piled the black bin bags onto the landing. There would be plenty of time to tidy up and then get a shower and get dressed. After all it was only half past eight and I was well on the way to having the bedrooms sorted.
Now for the down stairs with all the mess, last nights pots piled in the sink etc. (and believe me when I say my home is messy I mean it!)
I was just going to go down stairs to tackle the mess when I looked out of the window and saw to my horror my father in law and mother in law walking up the drive...... They were here and I wasn't ready.

I have since learnt my lesson and with clients calling in unexpectedly all the time, I now keep a much tidier house!

Ha ha! I know what you mean. Tbh, my house isn't too bad, just toys everywhere, but I don't mind toys, I always keep the kitchen and bathroom clean, especially bathroom If I know someone's coming, just in case they want to use it and it's not a state! I think what bugs me more is the fact that some people have turned up and literally f'd my day up, like If I wanted to get some chores done, or I wanted to go out r even have a rest, which is rare these days, or even if i had a friend round.I just think its rude, as I'd never just turn up to someone's house. I'd never do it, so I not really expect it to be done to me, I think ts common politeness to let them know. I think the only people I don't mind turning up is my mum, dad and bro, anyone else, but they dont even do it, always call first and never come at an inconvienient time like dinner time. Is that bad?

No I don't, but guess it depends who it is too. However these days anyone popping in woud be nice as I see no one.

I hate it!

I dont mind if they just stay for 40mins or longer than a cuppa but if they stay ages its annoying x

I prefer to be notified but if for some reason (although I don't think there are many acceptable excuses), I don't mind friends and family to turn up unexpectedly.

I do however really dislike it when people turn up out of the blue and stay for hours which means everything planned that day has to be put on hold.
I also really dislike it when people turn up round about tea time which means you either have to put everything on hold or ask them to stay for tea. I don't want to sound mean but I usually do not cook for an additional person just in case someone turns up randomly GRRR

It really annoys me! I always prefer people to let me know in advance. Unexpected visitors will invariably turn up when I'm in my pyjamas!

Most of the people I know have their front doors open for anyone to call by whenever. If I am going to their houses I wont call first.

I don't have an open door myself though, I tell people to call or message me first as I like to know when to expect people. Not so much to tidy up, as I tidy every morning anyway, but I just don't really like unexpected visitors when I dont know how long they are staying for. xxx

It depends on who it is - family i don't mind and some friends it wouldn't bother me either. However i'm out more than i'm in so people actually catching me is fairly low.

I will turn up at my sisters or parents house without calling - they don't mind at all. Friends though i don't.

I would expect someone to at least text me first, but it never really happens as I don't like having people round full stop. I feel really uncomfortable with people in my house and much prefer to meet for coffee or lunch than have someone in my house

I hate it. I don't like to have people in unles the house is immaculate and if they just turn up there's likely to be a few dishes to wash. Laundry out waiting to be taken upstairs etc etc. Sometimes I don't feel like tidying up so the place could be a right mess and I'd be devistated if someone turned up lol. Plus I like to scrub and bleach the bathroom before I have guests. Xx

I would expect someone to at least text me first, but it never really happens as I don't like having people round full stop. I feel really uncomfortable with people in my house and much prefer to meet for coffee or lunch than have someone in my house

Same here. X

I hate it too.

People always drop in unannounced! I really don't mind...unless we are eating.

Yup this is me too. I'm getting "better" in some ways than I used to be, and have had Mummy meet-ups in my house since having Midgelet. But it's something I find really stressful, and I don't really enjoy it at all unless they are *very* good friends and I genuinely feel the house doesn't have to be a show home :haha:

Oh I think its a bit rude too. Even 20 minutes notice is okay for me to do a quick tidy up but its mortifying if I'm in trampy clothes, no makeup, roman is naked apart from a nappy and amelie is in pants and a tshirt, the livingroom is a toy tip and my kitchen looks like a chinese laundry!

I hate it as I'm always in my pjs when people do! I always text others first and give an hours notice though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->