Do you think it's acceptable to turn up at someone's house unannounced?

no its not on, Im not always dressed, house is sometimes a mess, no one visits us anyway so not really a problem here lol

I hate it,I get more housework done in the half and hour warning i get of some of my family that there visiting than in the whole week when I know not a soul is coming.

I think it's very rude whoever it is! (saying that I don't have any of my own family who wud do it so I can't comment how I'd feel about them) but yeh, I don't want to look presentable all the time and have a clean and tidy house incase someone happens to want to pop by, how easy is it to send a text or ring to ask!

I'm quite lucky as I moved to a different country and when I have people visiting I know which flight or ferry they are on. My friends here don't know where I live (my choice) so if anyone knocks on my door, I know it's a sales person. Lol.

When we lived in England, I lived in a third floor apartment which required an intercom buzzer thing. If it went, I would look down to see who was there and decide if I wanted to let them in or if I was out.

Before we moved there we lived in a three bed house and people would just 'pop in for a cuppa' whilst they were out shopping as we were close to town. That's why I moved. I hated it. I would usually be doing housework/studying and they would expect me to sit down and talk. I think it's very unfair to drop by someone's house and interrupt their day because you were bored.

I ALWAYS call at least the day before. Common courtesy. You need to give people the opportunity to decline your company.

I compleatly sympathise with this post, I have a "friend" who calls by now and again, not to often but when she does i dread it. The first time i remember pulling up outside the house in the car (having just been out - so i wanted to get in and chill) and she was ringing the door bell so i had to invite her in. She stayed for 4 HOURS !!!!!!! We were dur to move house in a couple of days at this point and our living room was just a pile of boxes literally with a path to the kitchen, we had to sit on the floor. We even made hints that it was dinner time, and she still stayed! Second time she text, but stayed for 3 1/2 hours, there was NO conversation in the last hour, i just get so irritated i don't want to talk to her, she said she was waiting for her bf to pick her up on his way home from work (and she lives just at the other end of the estate), then just a few days ago she knocked the door unannounced, i answered but made a point of standing on the doorstep and not inviting her in. I've learned my lesson!!!!

I compleatly sympathise with this post, I have a "friend" who calls by now and again, not to often but when she does i dread it. The first time i remember pulling up outside the house in the car (having just been out - so i wanted to get in and chill) and she was ringing the door bell so i had to invite her in. She stayed for 4 HOURS !!!!!!! We were dur to move house in a couple of days at this point and our living room was just a pile of boxes literally with a path to the kitchen, we had to sit on the floor. We even made hints that it was dinner time, and she still stayed! Second time she text, but stayed for 3 1/2 hours, there was NO conversation in the last hour, i just get so irritated i don't want to talk to her, she said she was waiting for her bf to pick her up on his way home from work (and she lives just at the other end of the estate), then just a few days ago she knocked the door unannounced, i answered but made a point of standing on the doorstep and not inviting her in. I've learned my lesson!!!!

4 hrs??!! Wtf?? Has she got nothing better to do than to bust your balls?? I hate long visits too, I think 1 hour and a half is just about the limit, more than that, they're taking the piss Xx

I hate this too & would never dream of turning up unannounced anywhere

once a girl (who's brother I used to be engaged to but) I hadn't spoken to for at least 10yrs turned up & waltzed right into my living room while I was wearing my pj's was just about to put my LO to bed & my house looked like a bomb had hit it with toys/baby clothes/changing mat etc... all over the floor! I was absolutely mortified!!!

she was drunk & had spotted my hubby walking the dog so latched herself onto him & informed him she was coming to see me as id be happy to see her!

I was NOT happy :nope: I literally couldn't get rid of her quick enough! :argh: im cringing now just thinking about it

seriously awkward!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have popped in unannounced to neighbours and friends, e.g. am happy to stand at the door to hand over something and then go on my way, but even if asked in, usually refuse....so, nope, I personally think it's rude to insist on coming in, if that makes sense?

best wishes

ps. am thinking of when I have dropped presents off for neighbourhood childrens' (am friendly with parents) birthdays, etc., when I did stop by, but didn't stay long....

It's fine with me - I have friends and family that will turn up on the off chance that I'm home (which is actually most of the time :)). I like the fact that feel comfortable enough with me and my home, whatever the state, to do it.

If for any reason they couldn't come in, I.e. on my way out etc I would just say and they would be fine with that.

It has never happened to me (I don't really get visitors) but yeah I wouldn't be happy!
At my mam's house everyone just turns up as they please, no-one even knocks anymore :lol: We have a friend who lives on my mam's road who will even let herself in of a morning when everyone is in bed to wait for my sister to get in from work! Would drive me MENTAL :haha:

It depends on who it is and what time of relationship with that person for me, I dont mind my mum, dad, brother, bestie,cousin, gramps turning up unanounced but anyone else id hate like health visitors, extended family, casual friends etc.

I think it would annoy me too. The only times I would think it was acceptable to come round unannounced would be if they were dropping something off (Xmas/birthday present or something they'd borrowed for example) and had no intention of staying, or if it was an emergency (but then most people have mobiles so even then in most cases I'd know they were coming).

Most people I know would ring or text beforehand anyway, I mean what if I was out it would be a completely wasted journey for them. I have been known to just not answer the door if someone comes round unexpectedly and I'm not in the mood for it:haha:

My OH friend comes round EVERYDAY!! Hell cone in after work (around 7) and won't leave til gone 9.. he knows were in because our cars parked outside so Hell jus keep knocking :(
I wouldn't mind if he came once or twice a week but everyday is exhausting!!! All he does is watch tv or read a book on is phone... he lives about 10 houses down from us

So yes I think it is rude lol

Cx

I don't mind really, but now we live quite far away from most of my friends and all my family (not that far but about an hour) they won't just be passing by so they will normally call first!
There are a couple of people I would drop in on like my grandad for instance because everyone always has done, but most people I would ring in the morning or night before and make sure they'll be in x

I don't min at all our house has a open door policy. I always have food on and drinks and biscuits or cake made.

I hate it when people drop in unannounced too. You can guarantee It'll be 11am and I'm still in my PJ's, unwashed hair, Tegan's wearing a vest and pants or a pull up. Urg

I hate it! If i'm not expecting anyone i like to slob out in my PJ's or joggers and vest top, hair tied back, no make-up and house a tip because of the kids getting everything out! lol I get so embarrassed if someone turns up without telling me first and my house is a state and the washing up isn't done.:blush: I would never ever turn up at someone elses house without telling them first.

I hate it too,especially when I sit here all day on my own in a tidy house then the kids come in,turn the place upside down and we are sitting eating dinner when someone shows up.It takes 2 seconds to send a text to say you're calling in,whats so hard about that?

I always text or ring people first,even if Im literally around the corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->