Do you think it's acceptable to turn up at someone's house unannounced?

Oh i hate that...fortunately it rarely happens. I have had my ex BIL turning up and my MIL. They always come too at the worst time! My mum is the only one i wouldnt be bothered about but thats it!

I HATE!!!!!! it. Its the pet peeve I wrote in the other thread. Can't explain how much I detest it. OHs mum is the worst! She arrived in last night knowing we had to get packed for hols. She's met my 11 week old three times now and had all the time in the world to come but chose last night.

I don't mind, usually if its family/friends we always pre arrange it anyway, but my nephews come over unannounced (usually with a group of friends) all the time, we don't mind.

I hate it!!! If i could get Erin to be quiet, i would hide in the pantry.... :haha:

i would never. i dont mind if someone does it to me though im usually doing nothing away. if i didnt want to see anyone id pretend im not home xD

I am the opposite to most of you, regularly I have family/friends/neighbours turn up unannounced and it doesn't bother me, and also on the other side I turn up at family and friends houses too without notice. However I do only do this with family and friends that I know do not mind and they can openly tell me to bog off :rofl:

I hate it!! I would never do it, so makes me angry when other people do it to me.

Doesn't bother me. If someone knows me well enough to "pop in," they know me well enough to take me as they find me. They will know sometimes my house is spotless and sometimes it looks like I've been burgled. If I've somewhere to go, I tell them when they get there.

I personally wouldn't do it to anyone who wasn't family, but that's only because I hate a wasted journey!

I'm lucky in that my mum and mil both don't drive so I have to either go to them or bring them here. Same with friends it's usually me who goes calling but that because I have the dogs n stuff. I ALWAYS text a few days before then double check that morning.

i hate it & would never do it unless its my mum and/or dad..
xx

No. I always phone ahead even if its family. I hate people just turning up.

I have a handful of close friends that I honestly don't care if they show up unannounced, but 95% of the time they call first. One of their parents live across the street, so if they are over there, I will usually get a text saying they are going to walk over.
My parents live very close, but they ALWAYS call first. They know not to just show up unannounced.
Everybody else, they better call or I won't answer the door!!

I honestly have bigger things to worry about- and after all, if they drop in its probably to keep me company for an hour or so. I couldn't care less if my house was a bit of a mess and there was washing to do...they aren't friends of me because of my washing and cleaning habits.

I honestly have bigger things to worry about- and after all, if they drop in its probably to keep me company for an hour or so. I couldn't care less if my house was a bit of a mess and there was washing to do...they aren't friends of me because of my washing and cleaning habits.

:thumbup: exactly

It depends. There is this one guy that drops by randomly (friend of DH's) and he stays and stays and stays! :dohh: Or the midwives turning up at 9am the morning after I got out of hospital with newborn Alex! :dohh:

I don't like it either but what really bugs me is the people who arrive unannounced and then stay for hours and hours!!!! That totally winds me up:growlmad:

I don't like it. But then the only people who turn up unannounced are my parents so then I'm not bothered. I don't do it to anyone either. I have to ring up in advance. The only person I do go round without advance notice is my grandpa

I just wont answer the door if people come unannounced. It isnt a mess thing with me, but just I have anxiety and a few other issues so get very anxious and panicky if I dont have a pre-set plan in my head, or if I do and it gets ruined.

This is a pet hate of mine, I really dislike people turning up unannounced, purely for the fact that I'm more than likely still in my pj's and not looking exactly fresh faced :haha:

I can just about tollerate my mum turning up unannounced and I know it's her by the knock she does on the window. Other than that then I don't usually open the door if I don't know who it is lol.

Im guessing it depends on what your preferences are. My hubby was brought up with his family always visiting each other unannounced and just walking into each others houses.
My family always arranged things in advance and never wanted unexpected visits, sometimes to the point of hiding in another room if someone turned up - yes my dad was way over the top!! :nope:

Sometimes my husband will say 'let's go and drop in on such and such', and I'm always saying 'well hadn't we better text them and ask?' I would never drop in on my parents unannounced as I know they would either not answer the door if they didn't know who it was, or it they peeped out of a window and saw it was us and answered the door they would say I should text in future.

So while I'm not over the top about things like my family are, I do think it's polite to check in advance whether a visit is convenient :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->