Do you think they will give me another ultrasound?

ltrip84

Mom and pregnant
Reaction score
I went for my first appt at 6w3d and was able to see and hear baby's heartbeat through a transvaginal ultrasound. They scheduled me for an appointment 4 weeks later and the ultrasound lady said that they may have to do another quick ultrasound at the next appointment since the doppler won't pick up a hb that soon. Anyways, they had to reschedule my appointment and I chose to do a week earlier instead of a week later :winkwink: The scheduling girl on the phone said they didn't have me scheduled for an ultrasound. Just a 4 wk check up.

Do you think they will go ahead and do the ultrasound since they won't be able to pick the heartbeat up on the doppler?

Am I able to request an ultrasound if they aren't planning on doing one?

I don't see the point in even going to the appt if they can't tell me that everything is okay/not okay.....

I may not be a ton of help, but if they said they may give you another ultrasound i would call them back and simply ask for one. Just say that you were told you may be given one and you just wanted to know why/why not.

Id ask.. just even so someone can explain things to you.. doctors have this knack of not telling anyone anything lol

I had ultrasound at 6 weeks and again at 10 weeks and they said I will nto have one next appt but the next appt will be my big one with ultrasound!

I had my most recent appointment last Monday and wasn't scheduled for an ultrasound but the Doppler couldn't pick up the heartbeat cause of the way the baby had itself positioned so they sent me to have one so maybe you will get one! They weren't really supposed to let me see much since it was just to check the hb but she gave me some pics :) even though baby was not cooperating lol

I'm not sure, just came in to pray that you will be able to get another ultrasound, we can never see those little beans enough, can we?!

My doctors office has a little machine that hooks up to a 42 inch plasma. Maybe they don't record it on the schedule if they just take a quick look on their little machine?

By the answers I have received, it seems to me that they will do a quick ultrasound if they are unable to pick up the hb on the doppler. I doubt that they will be able to pick it up on the doppler because I will only be 9w3d at my next appointment and I'm overweight to begin with.

Thank you all for your answers!

Never go in expecting to get a scan, it can only lead to disappointment.
You never know with the doppler. Over here they won't check before 12 weeks with a doppler as there's a high chance of not finding it, but they won't scan you either. First scan is at 12 weeks. The first appointment really is quite pointless, it's just a case of 'congratulations, here's a list of things we plan to do in the future'.

That said, I'm obese myself and still managed to pick up DD2s heartbeat at home at 9 weeks.

Good point on not getting my hopes up. Although I would prefer an ultrasound, as long as they can tell me that baby is okay, I will be happy--whether they do it through ultrasound or doppler.

I have ultra sound 5, 6, 6+2, 7 and at my 10 week. You probably will get one. I had so many because of bleeding but my 10 week appointment was my actual ob who I was assigned to.

Never go in expecting to get a scan, it can only lead to disappointment.
You never know with the doppler. Over here they won't check before 12 weeks with a doppler as there's a high chance of not finding it, but they won't scan you either. First scan is at 12 weeks. The first appointment really is quite pointless, it's just a case of 'congratulations, here's a list of things we plan to do in the future'.

That said, I'm obese myself and still managed to pick up DD2s heartbeat at home at 9 weeks.

Erised, what doppler do you own? Also , do you know if it has a 3mhz or 2mhz probe?

It's the Angelsounds doppler that I have: doppler. Not sure if it's available in the states, also not sure about the frequency I'm afraid. In fact, it doesn't have a separate probe, it's just a big circle at the bottom of the device that you use.

Have a very full bladder when trying it for the first time, and check a lot lower than you'd think. Early on you really want to angle it into your pubic bone as the uterus hasn't risen above it yet.

I believe they do sell the Angelsounds one in the US. I have seen it on Amazon.com. Thanks for the tips!

In the uk we always have an nt scan at 12 weeks. Is it different in the us? I know you have early scans but don't they do another one at 12 weeks x

In the uk we always have an nt scan at 12 weeks. Is it different in the us? I know you have early scans but don't they do another one at 12 weeks x

I got one at my first visit (6w3d) and they said my next big one would be at 18-20 weeks (gender determination), then she said something like wks 28 and 38. Those might not be exact. I had a lot of information to take in and remember. I think everything in between checks for the heartbeat on the doppler. I don't think she said anything about one at 12 weeks. She DID say that you can usually hear the hb on the doppler by then. That's why she mentioned MAYBE doing a quick one at my next visit because it will be 9w3d.

The main reason for the 12 week scan in the UK is to get an accurate due date and to do the NT scan. Going by what I read on a different post on this forum, someone said they test with a blood test only in the States for down syndrome and other conditions? As for due date, I guess they have quite an accurate idea from the early scan, so eliminating the need for a 12 week scan perhaps?

I had scans at 6 and 10 weeks, then they used a Doppler at 14 weeks, then another big scan at 18 weeks.

Sounds like it could go either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->