• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you think this is right?

v2007

Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-11653189

I honestly dont think it is, i have just had a massive debate with my OH about this, My OH defending Kershaw.

This poor bloke just snapped and i do think he should be punished but 5 years is rather extreme imho.

V xxxx

'Just flipped' or not he killed someone, I don't think 5 years is enough tbh. xxx

I agree too. How can you just flip and stab someone to death? I can understand the stress, especially if this is some intimidation thing that's been going on a long time but what part of the brain turns off and allows someone to stab away?

Yep totally agree! you don't just flip and stab someone! it takes a really dark mind to do something as horrid as that! should have got longer. IMO

I dont know, i know someone who flipped and killed her husband as a result of domestic and alcohol abuse and she served the same sentence.

I dont agree with it at all, and think there should be harsher sentences for people who commit such things, but it can and does happen to you average person.

I'm speculating but I would imagine years of domestic abuse would have a different toll on someone's mental health, making it outside of a normal response iyswim.

They were only together perhaps 3 or so years, one arguement too many and she stabbed him, locked him out on the balcony and left him to die.

It was a total shock to the system, id know here for as long as i remember, and it was a million miles away from "her", i'll see if i can find a news article

https://www.biggleswadetoday.co.uk/news/local/woman_gets_four_years_for_manslaughter_1_1123535

So sad, especially to think that my childhood best friends daughter was there when it happened :shock:

:( It's a bit like the self defence when being robbed things, the guy shooting a robber. It's always complicated but when a life has been lost it's not ok, especially not if the perpetrator is basically mentally sound.

Its hard for me to make a firm stance on things like this because i would be a total hypocrite if i sat here and said they should be hung, when i know someone who has been through it any continue to speak with them.

Difficult one, but you cannot ignore the severity of the situation, lives are being lost :(

Thank God no-one can be hung here! I think it is difficult and every incident will have its own set of circumstances that make it more or less 'reasonable' (not the right word really!). That's why it's good we have trials and those circumstances are aired and the sentence can be judged accordingly. I wouldn't like the jury duty though!

With rehards to the man I can understand flipping and maybe going to hit him etc (not that I would) But stabbing? He knew there was a possibility he would kill him. I think he should have more than 5 years, he killed someone

With regards to domestic abuse. If a women if defending her self agaisnt her husband and lets say hits him to hard and kills him. I think the courts should be more leniant as it was self defence
xx

I'm actually more on the side of the man who did the stabbing than the man who was stabbed.

He does deserve to be punished for taking a life but I can understand how he may have felt pushed to do something to defend himself and his home.

I can't imagine how upset and disgusted I would feel if someone urinated through my letterbox into my house. How disgusted and degraded must you feel seeing someone do that and then you have to kneel on the floor to clean it up? It's humiliating and revolting to have some drunk and drugged up yob do that to your home and a fragile person has snapped and is now facing the consequences for his actions when by rights he should never have been forced into that position.

And it wasn't the first time it had happened to this man, someone had done the same thing before and he'd also had to put up with vandalism and intimidation.

This is why antisocial behaviour needs to be dealt with more seriously and why police chiefs like ours in South Yorkshire need to understand that ignoring and dismissing an entire estate of people being intimidated by scum may lead to someone snapping like this poor man. If the police won't or can't deal with it for whatever reason then eventually someone will take the law into their own hands.

This is why I think ours don't take antisocial behaviour seriously. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...aps-down-Chief-Constable-Meredydd-Hughes.html

I might be harsh, but I cannot feel sorry for the man who was stabbed, his yobbish actions weren't just peeing in the street, he violated someones home and unfortunately for all concerned he picked on a man who could take no more. The way he dealt with it was wrong, but he was in his own home, he didn't go out looking for or causing trouble, trouble came to him.

When my Dad was a boy he used to put dog poo in letter boxes (amongst other 'tricks'). I don't think it would be acceptable for someone to open the door and have stabbed him.

I agree that antisocial behaviour is horrible, intimidating, and very hard for the victim but that is the fault with the current policing system not picking things up. To open the door and stab someone is kind of a nuts response imo.

When my Dad was a boy he used to put dog poo in letter boxes (amongst other 'tricks'). I don't think it would be acceptable for someone to open the door and have stabbed him.

I agree that antisocial behaviour is horrible, intimidating, and very hard for the victim but that is the fault with the current policing system not picking things up. To open the door and stab someone is kind of a nuts response imo.

I wasn't saying it was an acceptable thing to do but urine or dog poo through a door is disgusting and a fragile person can be pushed to the limit by such things, sadly in this case the limit was the taking of one life and the ruining of another.

And if it is nuts to respond that way then a prison sentence without coresponding professional psychiatric help is the wrong punishment too. This man is a victim too and although he does need to be punished I don't think it's unreasonable to also pity him as a victim who was pushed to for by a gang of antisocial yobs.

Even the police gave a list of antisocial crimes the dead man and his friends were responsible for on that estate and if those crimes had been dealt with more severely when they happened then this might never have happened.

but the guy who stabbed him is not all inicent when he goes doing weed and drinking loads? ok someone should not pee in a letterbox however stabbing someone for it is way extreme and killing them. Its not like this guy broken into the mans house to claim selfdefence he just wee'd though a letter box!

but the guy who stabbed him is not all inicent when he goes doing weed and drinking loads? ok someone should not pee in a letterbox however stabbing someone for it is way extreme and killing them. Its not like this guy broken into the mans house to claim selfdefence he just wee'd though a letter box!

It wasn't the homeowner who was drunk and drugged, it was the man who he stabbed and he was also part of a gang responsible for a lot of other antisocial crime on that estate.

I wasn't saying it was an acceptable thing to do but urine or dog poo through a door is disgusting and a fragile person can be pushed to the limit by such things, sadly in this case the limit was the taking of one life and the ruining of another.

And if it is nuts to respond that way then a prison sentence without coresponding professional psychiatric help is the wrong punishment too. This man is a victim too and although he does need to be punished I don't think it's unreasonable to also pity him as a victim who was pushed to for by a gang of antisocial yobs.

Even the police gave a list of antisocial crimes the dead man and his friends were responsible for on that estate and if those crimes had been dealt with more severely when they happened then this might never have happened.
I don't know for sure but it seems unlikely to me that anyone who has killed someone, whatever the circumstances, won't have both psychiatric assessment before trial and care during the sentence.

I have plenty of pity, it's a complicated situation, have you seen my other posts?

Like I said, if the policing system was better people wouldn't be pushed in this way. We are on first names terms with our local neighbourhood officer because of the issues with antisocial behaviour where we live. We've had allsorts happen, most recently graffiti on our wall threatening someone's life. When she came to visit me recently to chat about how things are and I mentioned the graffiti she had no idea. Not only had she not seen it on the beat (I don't know how not nor did she) but she'd not been informed of it. She'd been told about the theft of fence panels all along our road (the reason for her visit). The graffiti report was passed on to victim support. The antisocial behaviour unit team have been told nothing of any of these offences. There are about 10 different units that are totally unconnected and this is why you get people commiting suicide and the police then find out there have been 400 calls over 5 years about the intimidation they've faced. It's farcical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->