Do you use a humidifier?

FAB mama

Reaction score
Do you use a humidifier in your home? Does it help? What is the main reason (colds, allergies, etc)? Do you have any mold issues? LO and I are both kind of sick unfortunately and winter is coming soon!

We had one that we used for our daughter when she was having a bad cold. The only thing we ended up with was a soaking wet room and then mold. Terrible and we had the room well ventilated. So we just sat with her in the bathroom instead with a hot shower going, vapo rub on the chest and a onion next to the bed (tip from granny and it works). We also put a bowl of water on the radiator to keep the room a bit humid but in a gentle way.

I've never had one or needed one. I live in southern California so it doesn't get too cold/dry around here. But I've also heard of using an onion in the room when you're sick!

we have to use one. Here in colorado plus up in the mountains where i am it is super super dry. My son always got sick with runny/stuffy nose and such. His pediatricion recommended to use a humidifier every night. Since then he has been much better and rarly sick. We use it everynight. No problems with mold and wet floors. xx

We're in Louisiana so it's super high humidity most of the time, but the pediatrician is still recommending to use one. But of course if I create a mold problem, that's probably worse...

Nope, my understanding is that there isn't conclusive research to recommend them for common colds and the like (though if someone knows of any, I'd be interested to see it). The only time I wished we'd had one was when LO had croup, but we just used the shower steam to help with that.

I recently brought one as lo has such a blocked nose and she was waking herself up. She's also gotten a really bad cough.

I personally have round that it has really helped, although we only use it at night in her room. I've also added a couple of drops of baby olbas oil to it.

No problems with mould; I'd read the reviews on the one we brought and people said it was noisy (it's not) and also that it left marks on the walls but it hasn't, it does leave little yellow marks on the ceiling but I just wipe this off in the morning and all is fine.

I'm glad I brought mine, got it for £30 from Argos - not sure if you're uk based or not

X

I'm using humidifier for my baby. I would choose the Crane Adorable Cool Mist Humidifier Owl. My daughter’s room has Owls all over it and this humidifier would fit right in. I love that it also adds soothing moisture to the air.

No, unfortunately, our house is drafty and damp as it is. We run a dehumidifier just to try to prevent as much mould as we can already. My mum used to use a humidifier with me when I was little and it did help, but my rationale is mould is worse for respiratory problems than some dry air, so I'd rather not. It depends what sort of climate you live in though and how well ventilated your house is. Our house is poorly ventilated, which we can't fix as we rent, and our climate is already wet and damp enough.

Yes we have one in our room and in the kid's room, but we live in a very dry climate (especially in the winter). We use them every night and I turn it on for nap time as well. Just last night we forgot to turn ours on and I woke up with a very dry throat. When we replace our furnaces we will get ones that have a built in humidifier so we won't need the little plug in ones anymore.

A humidifier adds moisture in the air and is useful in relieving colds, coughs, congestions, asthma, sinus, allergies etc. The mold issues come about due to high moisture content in the environment. The recommended level is between 30-50%. Get a hygrometer to measure the humidity level and only use the humidifier when the level is below 50 and a dehumidifier if the level is above 50.

We use a humidifier in our boy's rooms at night in the winter, but we live in Chicago and it can get so so so dry here in the winter. It helps with coughs and such. We only use them at night, and we set it on a low setting. If you can see condensation on windows from a humidifier, then the setting is much too high. :)

NZ is pretty humid so I've never used one. 85% humidity at the moment and that's not really that bad.

NZ is pretty humid so I've never used one. 85% humidity at the moment and that's not really that bad.

Yeah, like we would need one in our damp country with mouldy rental houses. :lol: Can understand the need for one if you live in a dry climate though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->