Do you wake your newborn to feed?

Laeyla

Reaction score
Hi All!

Had my baby girl on the 23 of December! :D Breastfeeding has been going well so far. she has gained her birth weight back, plus some.

I was just wondering if you all wake up your LO to nurse in the middle of the night? Here we are told to wake them up if it has been 4 hours since their last session. Which is what I did with my Son but have been doing so far with her but the last few days she does NOT want to wake up at the 4 hour mark. I change her diaper (which usually gets her moving), get her naked, even sometimes put a cold cloth on her face and she still just wants to sleep...I can usually get her to nurse by doing all that for 3-5 minutes. She usually nurses 8-15. Is she getting anything from that 3-5 minutes? Should I try to something else to wake her up?

What do you do regarding nighttime feedings?

I heard that once babies are back up to the birth weight then you can leave them to wake up on their own

Oh congratulations by the way and well done for breastfeeding so far. My little boy was due on 23rd but he was too comfy and didn't make an appearance untill Boxing day.

I'm also in Canada, and have heard such mixed messages about this because, you're right, they do advise us to wake them for a feed at the 4 hour mark (from start of a feed to start of the next, which for me with a LO who nurses for a good hour most times, feels so frequent!) during the night (and then not to go more than 2-3 hours start to start during the day). BUT, I asked my midwife, and she said that if they are past the 2 week age AND have also regained their birth weight, are thriving (i.e. continuing to gain weight), your supply is still high, and you are doing your regular 2-3 hours feeds all throughout the day, you can let them sleep through the night and self-wake to feed when they feel hungry. Most nights (unless he's going through a growth spurt), I can get 4-6 hours of my little guy sleeping without waking for a feeding. It kind of makes me feel guilty because I know some would still advise that I wake him, and I really don't want to neglect any of his needs whatsoever, but he's super healthy and seems to be doing very well. If your LO is the same, I'd say it's fine not to wake her once she reaches the 2 week old point. And congratulations!! :)

Our ped said that once DS was back to birth weight to leave him be at night as long as he was nursing fine in the day, that he would wake when he was hungry. As a NB he was up every 2 hours so I wound up never having to worry about it. As long as she still is having good wet diapers and doesn't seem lethargic when awake (which could indicate blood sugar issues) I would let her sleep if your doctor doesn't have any other concerns. Congrats on being blessed with a good sleeper :)

I let them sleep! My babies were both on the bigger side and I never had issues with supply (at least not early on), so I just let them sleep!

Early on, I would wake him every 3 hours, only because we were trying to get him back to birth weight or more (it took about 3 1/2 weeks for him to gain enough weight). Now I watch his cues and allow him to sleep at night, and feed him only when he wakes on his own.

Don't wake a sleeping baby!
I was told to wake every 3 hours after we got back from the hospital, even though when we were discharged she was the same as her birth weight.
She had jaundice, and in general didn't like to eat. We also fed her with just her diaper and thin blanket to keep her awake.
I woke her up for about 2 days at home and then just let her sleep.
I usually get about 4-5 hours of sleep during the night, but she goes for about 5+ hours without feeding at night. She'll let me know when she's hungry.
Sleeping is just as important for newborns and little babies. If she's gaining weight, or is at the right weight she should be right now, I wouldn't worry. Try to weight her and you'll see.

I heard that once babies are back up to the birth weight then you can leave them to wake up on their own

She was 4 oz more than what she was when she was born at her week check up.

Oh congratulations by the way and well done for breastfeeding so far. My little boy was due on 23rd but he was too comfy and didn't make an appearance untill Boxing day.

Thank You :) Congratulations to you as well!

I'm also in Canada, and have heard such mixed messages about this because, you're right, they do advise us to wake them for a feed at the 4 hour mark (from start of a feed to start of the next, which for me with a LO who nurses for a good hour most times, feels so frequent!) during the night (and then not to go more than 2-3 hours start to start during the day). BUT, I asked my midwife, and she said that if they are past the 2 week age AND have also regained their birth weight, are thriving (i.e. continuing to gain weight), your supply is still high, and you are doing your regular 2-3 hours feeds all throughout the day, you can let them sleep through the night and self-wake to feed when they feel hungry. Most nights (unless he's going through a growth spurt), I can get 4-6 hours of my little guy sleeping without waking for a feeding. It kind of makes me feel guilty because I know some would still advise that I wake him, and I really don't want to neglect any of his needs whatsoever, but he's super healthy and seems to be doing very well. If your LO is the same, I'd say it's fine not to wake her once she reaches the 2 week old point. And congratulations!! :)

Thanks! My sister in law also said her midwife told her to let her son sleep through. I didn't set my alarm the other night just to see what would happen and she woke up every 3 hours! haha. Figures. The next night she went for a five hour stretch, which I don't see a big difference in (between 4 and 5) so I think I will just let her wake up on her own from now on.

I let them sleep! My babies were both on the bigger side and I never had issues with supply (at least not early on), so I just let them sleep!

I'm mostly worried about having supply issues if I don't keep waking her.

Early on, I would wake him every 3 hours, only because we were trying to get him back to birth weight or more (it took about 3 1/2 weeks for him to gain enough weight). Now I watch his cues and allow him to sleep at night, and feed him only when he wakes on his own.

I'll have to try and weigh her again and see what she's at now.

Don't wake a sleeping baby!
I was told to wake every 3 hours after we got back from the hospital, even though when we were discharged she was the same as her birth weight.
She had jaundice, and in general didn't like to eat. We also fed her with just her diaper and thin blanket to keep her awake.
I woke her up for about 2 days at home and then just let her sleep.
I usually get about 4-5 hours of sleep during the night, but she goes for about 5+ hours without feeding at night. She'll let me know when she's hungry.
Sleeping is just as important for newborns and little babies. If she's gaining weight, or is at the right weight she should be right now, I wouldn't worry. Try to weight her and you'll see.

That's what my SIL says too - don't wake a sleeping baby! And considering how hard it is to wake her up sometimes I think I will let her sleep if she wants to and just keep an eye on her weight.

Thanks ladies! I am worried my supply will decrease but I don't see it making that big of a difference between 4 and 5 hours?

I think you're right; I can't see that extra hour making a huge difference to your supply. Also, I know it's early to be thinking about her sttn, but if that's the eventual goal, then you'd want your body to adjust to her sleeping schedule, iykwim.

I say just go with your gut. :)

Your supply will just regulate to what she is actually eating. You may be engorged for a couple days since she will go longer but it will work itself out. It should not affect supply during the day at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->