Doctor won't test baby

Laylagirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone... So I found out I was pregnant June 29th.... I had my first appointment July 7th... I had an ultrasound done on July 20th... I was 9 weeks 1 day according to the measurements... There was a baby with a beating heart, but there were two sacs.. The other one was empty... So on July 25th I went back and the sac was still there and the baby was measuring 9 weeks 4 days and the other sac was still empty... They said it was a vanishing twin and would be re absorbed by my body... On August 1 st I was scheduled for my genetic testing because I'm 35. After about an hour and a half of hearing every common complication the dr said they could not run ANY test on the baby I am carrying... She said the reason is because of the vanishing twin.. Since there was a second sac, there would be remnants of it floating around in my blood... And would corrupt the test results... I asked it there were any tests.. Even the nt scan at 12 weeks.. She said they wouldn't even do the nt scan on me.. I would not be able to receive ANY testing. The only ultrasound that will be given is the Anatomy scan at 20 weeks... I am very worried and concerned... Has anyone else has this happen and do you know if there are any other options for me?

Is this a maternal fetal medicine doctor (as opposed to your regular obgyn)? I've had exams in 3 states - and such a doc has always been responsible for testing, and you should be advised asap by a group like that (before it is too late for the NT exam). It is entirely plausible that they can't do the Maternity blood draw for trisomies (or even other blood draws/estimates), as they may not be able to interpret the results - but I can't see why they couldn't do a NT/nasal bone etc exam around 11-12 weeks, or a cvs/amnio if desired.

Is this a maternal fetal medicine doctor (as opposed to your regular obgyn)? I've had exams in 3 states - and such a doc has always been responsible for testing, and you should be advised asap by a group like that (before it is too late for the NT exam). It is entirely plausible that they can't do the Maternity blood draw for trisomies (or even other blood draws/estimates), as they may not be able to interpret the results - but I can't see why they couldn't do a NT/nasal bone etc exam around 11-12 weeks, or a cvs/amnio if desired.

Thank you for your response... It was my ob/gyn who said no to the NT scan.. They cannot do cvs test, but said they can do an amnio... I know this probably sounds selfish, but I really didn't want to go the amnio route because of the risk for miscarriage... I asked them why they wouldn't do the NT scan and they would not give me an answer.. They said that they were told that they could not give it and that is all they can tell me.. I will try and call Monday and ask again.. Thank you for your response..

Hi Layla :wave:
Sometimes I think the NT scan is a regional thing. Even though I've had several different OB's with my children it's not something I've ever been offered, despite being considered high risk. I think it's because it is quite a faulty test. I was given the same explanation with my twin pregnancy, even if both babies were healthy the blood tests would be corrupt. I know it's hard to wait until the 20 week mark to see if there could be complications, I'm sorry. I would feel the same about the amnio. I hope that your 20 week scan gives you some peace of mind and that baby looks great. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm very sorry for the loss of one of your twins, I understand how hard it can be to grieve and be hopeful in the same breath.

I think they probably don't want to do the NT scan, as they can't do the usual risk calculation (isn't that scan combined with the blood results?). BUT they can still scan and give you info on the translucency (there are even papers on the web that will give you increased risk information based on that measurement alone - but you'd need to know your statistics; the doc may not know this - but a maternal fetal doc should be able to help you a bit more). Ask them to refer you asap.

I would hae thought they would still offer the NT scan to make sure baby is developing properly at that stage. If they wont though you could always book a private scan :)

We started with twins and I was also told they may not have been able to do the nt scan, but they never said why- I just assumed with being 2 they may not have been able to get a clear enough view.

We lost one baby at 7 weeks and the nt scan and blood screening on remaining baby was done at 13 weeks with no issues.

They were identical if that makes any difference, and in the same sac.

Thank you for your responses... they agreed to do the NIPT but said if it comes back abnormal I would have to have the amnio. I did the blood draw on Thursday and its 10 days until the results come back. Ill update when the results come in. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->