Does a dummy really satisy a hungry baby?

GypsyDancer

Mummy to Zach <3
Reaction score
So last night i took Zach's dummy to bed with me..i never normally do, ..But he was fast asleep when i went to bed..and didnt want to disturb him carrying him up..

I gave him his last feed around midnight..normally he wakes up probably around 4 hours later..then another 2 hours later..then it'll range from 1-2 hours until i get up..

I co-sleep so never really pay attention to how much he feeds at those times in the middle of the night while its dark..But i always kindve have a sense that he doesnt feed for that long..its more of a comfort thing im guessing

So last night as i had his dummy, i decided to give him his dummy first when he woke up instead of feeding him straight away..(I have to give him tablets with every feed so if he doesnt need feeding and i give him the tablets anyway he'll get a bad belly..) so i figured giving him a dummy was a good idea..

Anyway..it worked! He slept until 10 am! I was so shocked and excited, its the 1st time he's gone through the night without feeding..okay he woke a few times but i just gave him his dummy and he was fast asleep again..

As i was so excited i told OH..he then told me i was cruel to do that to him as he was probably really hungry and i just gave him a dummy instead..

Was i wrong to do that? Ive given him his dummy before when he's been hungry and he just doesnt settle he'll keep crying..so i wouldve thought if he was hungry he wouldve cried not gone back to sleep within seconds?

Was i wrong to just give him his dummy?:shrug:

I don't think you were wrong at all! A hungry baby will spit out a dummy and start crying.

Sounds like you did good to me! I know for Clara, if she wakes and I give her a soother and she spits it out and keeps crying it means she's hungry, if she goes right back to sleep then she's ok, just needed a quick comfort. Congrats on him sleeping through the night for you.

If he really was hungry he would of carried on crying x

Yep if he was hungry it would pacify him for a while but when he realised he was getting nothing out of it he would spit it out and start crying again

I agree. My LO does the same he uses it to soothe but when he is really hungry NOTHING will settle him but the boob. I would say you found something to help you both sleep through the night! Good for you!

Sounds like he might be waking up out of habit. If he's hungry a dummy wont settle him

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->