Does anyone else have a 'what would people think' relative?

shirlls

Reaction score
My son is 2 years and 9 months old, he has gross motor delay and speech delay. He has hypermobility in his ankles so can't yet walk, he has recently got a walking frame which he enjoys using as he can walk holding on to something albeit very unsteadily. He can say the odd word, and the occasional sentence which he sometimes won't say again. He is on the waiting list for autism screening as there are a few red flags. However, he is a very happy and contented little boy.

My mum is a very self-conscious person and is obsessed with what people think, to the point of pushing my OH and I to the point of nearly exploding at her over the years however until now we have managed to successfully just bite our tongues. As well as what people think, she has 5 sisters and (some of them anyway) have this sibling competition thing going on. As I said, until now we just put up with it, however this is to do with our son so I fear if this situation escalates at all there may be an argument brewing.

We know from past experience that my mum will shut down and go quiet if we speak about something she is uncomfortable with. If you speak about it to her you feel like you are talking to yourself as you get no answer and then the subject will promptly be changed. I guess going quiet is better than saying anything, but eventually she will say something like 'don't tell people that...etc' or 'people might think....etc'.

Friends and family who are primarily are her contact know there are delays with my son however aren't told a thing, she just brushes it off as 'just a little delay and he'll get there' which just looks weird. Any time we mention our son's delays or talk about taking him out with his frame she shuts down completely and changes the subject and it makes my blood boil! When we mentioned the autism screening the comment was even made by my dad (I apologise for offending anyone, I am only repeating what was said) 'we don't want people thinking he is thick'! I know she will eventually come out and say something else and when this happens this will come to a head.

Has anyone else any experience of dealing with someone behaving like this?

Most people on the spectrum are rather intelligent. They even found out non-verbal adults with autism, when given the right tools to be highly intelligent. Heck my son went from classic autism (non-verbal and global developmental delays) to high functioning within the last year as he went to a new school who knew how to deal with autism as a whole and gave him the correct teaching he needed to progress. He's not fully up to speed with other 8 year olds yet and that's fine. He's learning what he wants to at his own pace.

As for people acting like that, only a couple of times. And one was from a respite worker who had a child with obvious special needs. Ossian was having a meltdown as he ran out of sweets as any 4 year old child would do. She then said he was distressing her child and I should take him home. I explained he had autism and then she turned around saying it was due to my lack of parenting and autism isn't real. Lovely people in the world. I've learnt to pick my battles. If people are looking at my son because he's different then I ignore it. It clearly doesn't bother my son as he's to busy doing whatever he's doing, but if someone says anything bad about him, I stand up for him.

My goodness...you have done soooo well to keep your cool with your parents for so long!:wacko:

My son is 2 and a half and not talking and the very few 1 syllable words that he does say are missing initial consonants, end consonants or just plain random lol. He is currently waiting for a Speech and Language assessment and a Hearing Screening and I have just started to learn Makaton in order to help him communicate. Although my Dad knows my son's speech is lacking, his response to the Hearing Test was 'why...we know he can hear' and his response to the Makaton was 'why are you teaching him sign language when he's not deaf!'

In my Dad's case he isn't callous, he's just naïve and looks at everything in black and white and doesn't realise that grey exists!

In my Sister's case she's a bit of both. She said 'so do you think he's going to be backward?' (I mean really get with the times. That nasty term is archaic!)

Anyhow well done for holding your temper thus far. Perhaps approach your Mum about your feelings in a calmer way BEFORE another comment makes you explode :hugs:

Oh definitely well done on holding you're temper I'm not so good when it comes to things like that lol.
I do think for your own sake and for helping your son learn and progress you have to talk to her you and your son need her support and if she's brushing it off and won't talk about it she can't help him.
She has to do what's best for her grandson here what and stuff what others think xx

oh man hun to be honest the best way to deal with it is to just rip that band aid off and have it out with them. It took me a LONG time to get my parents to even slightly understand the struggles my son has and even now (hes 5 and a half now) we still have fights as they say "nothing a good smack wont sort". I actually fought with my dad about it the other day. I dont bite my tongue with them any more as it just made them more ignorant.

what finally made them man up and stop being (for lack of a better word) twats about some things was how he couldnt cope at my mums birthday party with all the people and the noise. It led me to tears and we left early and she just said id "ruined her birthday" because id asked for the music to be put down a little till we left in an hour (8pm). a week later when i finally talked to them i got "well you should have said he was that bad" .. i felt like banging my head against a wall. so now i just tell them how it is. :hugs:

We have this too, burying heads in sand about poor health. My youngest has been extremely sick since day 1, he has some major issues going on that will be forever. My inlaws CONSTANTLY disagree with the paediatricians who tell us what's wrong and how to help him. They are forever saying 'oh for goodness sake!' whenever I tell them any new diagnosis or anything about an appt we had. So I don't bother sharing info any more, unless it's a major thing, and then I give myself a pep talk before I say anything so I don't get hurt when they make ridiculous comments.
Life is throwing us challenges all the time, daily life is a struggle without other people making me feel like I'm exaggerating issues too.
I know how you feel. Hugs xx

Thanks everyone for your replies, I am sorry for what all of you have to put up with, it really is very frustrating. Those of you who said I need to just come out and speak to them are right. What has stopped me up until now though is she isn't the easiest person to speak to, she takes offence at the drop of a hat and can be so defensive about things.

We have this too, burying heads in sand about poor health.

You have hit the nail right on the head, this is EXACTLY what my parents do. If there is a diagnosis in the pipeline of anything, or a health scare going on, (not just with my son but with anyone including themselves) they just go into total shut down and a state of almost denial over it all. And when made to face what is happening like with an appointment imminent or conversation that has to take place on the subject, behave very strangely because they HAVE to face it.

x

I feel so relieved it's not just me. This is my in laws to the letter. My son has widespread areas of small brain damage which is Bueno monitored for how it does. He has epilepsy,msocial communication issues, sensory issues etc. he is and always has been slow to do thighs eg walk but masters it well. Even though he takes medication for his epilepsy they still disput it. It really winds me up but now I jut tell them still and leave it at that,move to,d them if they choose to ignore it then I'm too busy focusing on my son to care!at 2.5 he still didn't speak he is approaching 3, he speaks a fair bit I. Comparison now. He is still behind but deff better, I attribute a lot of that to starting sign. Sign is amazing! He has a lot of flags for autism but we are waiting it out as he is complex so things cross over a lot.

We have the foot people today as his walking. Is deteriorating a little xxx

Gooduck with your appointment hub.

Op my parents are very hard to talk to aswell Hun. They think they are right over doctors most of the time. You just need to put to the side the thought you might offend them. If they are offended then that's their own tough crap. Your putting your son first and they need to get over it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->