Does anyone feel possessive over their chosen baby names even though they aren't preg

buttons1

Mummy to 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
We have already chosen our baby names for our next baby even though we aren't trying again until next year. But every time a family member or friend gets pregnant I worry they might choose the same name and then we can't have the name we LOVE.

Does anyone else feel this? I think i'd be so upset if I couldn't use the names we have thought of

I definitely know what you mean...Two people in my family are pregnant at the minute and we've put so much effort into picking out names that we both finally agree on so I really hope that doesn't happen!

I also really liked the name Catelynn, but now my OH doesn't like it because someone on TV had the same name...

It's so easy to suddenly change your mind on a name you were set on because of things like that or people in real life.

Yep I am very possesive about our names, especially as I always wanted the name Benjamin for a boy and then my sister named her son Benjamin 5 years ago and so I lost that one! they have been warned off my girls name!

I am really hoping that no one we know has a girl and names her our name as we will not be happy

it's tricky to know whether to let ppl know what you are thinking or keep them a secret. ppl know our boys name as it's the same as when i had dd but our girls is a secret

I know the feeling! A friend of mine is pregnant and I asked the gender and name, just because I was praying it wouldn't be similar to what I had chosen for my - not yet conceived - baby. xD

And my sister mentioned how she loves the name I picked for my potential boy child, and how if her friend hadn't named her son that, she would have liked to... which whatever, except it's a family name from my husband's family, so that would REALLY have made me mad if she had used it. -_-

I really don't worry about it much as everyone has there own naming style around me, and no one in my family likes my names haha. I don't think I have anything to worry about.

Yep, I am!

My sister is due in 4 weeks and when she first got pregnant I made a claim on my boys name and she promised not to use it, she's having a girl though and she won't tell me what they're naming her. She's promised that she's not using my girls names though.

I do! I don't have a girl's name picked yet, but I lovelove our boys name, and I do worry that someone else in the family or a close friend might pick the same one before we conceive. I don't let on to anyone about it and no one but DH even knows that future babies are so much on my mind, but it's a little bug in the back of my head worrying that someone might snatch it up first.

Hopefully that doesn't happen of course - and let's face it, the likelihood is rather small - but if it does I'd just let myself feel sad for a bit and then move on to finding another. I don't feel so possessive that I'd feel the need to stake claim publicly over it - I think our friends and family might think I'd gone a bit :wacko: if I did. ;)

Yup!! Can totally relate. Our best friends just announced the name of their little girl who is due in 14 weeks... and sure enough.. it was one of our top 3 favorites :(

It sucks, but we have 2 other girl names picked out and our boy name, surely will not be taken!!! ;)

Yes! I refuse to talk about our names with people because I'm so possessive about them. We have had 2 friends use names on our list! It's not like they stole them because they don't know what's on our list, but it is super frustrating. Coming up with new names that we both love is so. hard.

One of my good friends had a name picked out & told another close friend & they went and named their DOG what my friend was going to name their SON....?? They were all kinds of pissed. I would have been too!

I am kinda possessive, but not to the point where it will potentially cause a problem. My SIL and I like a lot of similar names, but they are ttc now and I think that they should be able to choose any name they'd like as they have been wanting ttc for a while! A name that MIGHT cause a problem between me and my other brother is Alexander. It is our grandpa's middle name & we all love it! He said he had claims on it, but recently got divorced, and is now dating....I told him that I wanted it for a girl, but I wanted to change it to Alyxandrya and for her to go by that or Alyx for short. He got mad, but I think that whoever gets to it first.... I know that sounds terrible, but I don't know of any other way to do it/think about it ??

^ that is sooo annoying naming your dog that i'd be more upset as i'd lose the name to a dog not even another baby lol.

How far would people go with keeping the same name out of interest? Ie I imagine if it was a family member you obv couldn't call it the same but just friends? cousins children etc?

No, I try not to let myself get worked up over that. Maybe it's because I like several names though so I have a backup. :) It's not worth the stress to me.

I'm dead set on my names. So I don't care who chooses them, I won't let that stop me from using the names I love.

Plus if one of my siblings took my girls name, they know I'd kill them as its MY middle name lol.

I keep my favorite names quiet just in case. On the flip side, I really don't want to hear that someone doesn't love the name I've chosen. It wouldn't make me reconsider if someone didn't like it, but I'd always remember their blah reaction when I do give my future baby that name. Best to just keep my mouth shut.

I not too possessive since the names I like are very unconventional but I have posted a couple on here.

What are the names you have all chosen? I still cannot decide on any boys names ! xx

yes im very possessive over our names. When I was pregnant with my ds, my dh's cousin was also preganant but 4 months behind us. In a convo one day she asked me what names id chosen and i told her. A few weeks later we were talking about names again and i asked her this time and the name I had said I wanted for a girl, she said she wanted to!!! i was fuming, , luckily she had a boy, but even if she has a girl next time and i do too, im not changing it as ive loved that name since i can remember, its alsomy confirmation name, so tough titties!!! xx lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->