Does anyone here keep chickens ?

Rhi_Rhi1

Reaction score
I was just having a think, and i THINK i would quite like some chickens, but i'm not sure where to start, obviously i need a coop etc, but was just looking for some hints/ tips? on housing/ food/ how many/ what kind ....

Thanks ! :coffee:

what do you want the chickens for? pets? or do you want a decent amount of eggs? Chickens, like dogs, have many different breeds, and depending on what you want in a chicken, depends on what breed you go for.
The number of chickens you get will depend on the size of your garden.

I have an excellent book called 'Choosing and Keeping Chickens' by Chris Graham. I really suggest you have a read as it explains the different types of coop, feeds, breeds and their temperament, and what each breed is good for (laying, table or decorative)

For pets mostly, The idea of getting eggs seems "fun" though, but i wouldn't need a great deal of eggs :) thank you i will have a look on amazon now ! x

We've got 3 isa browns in a coop with long run at one end, they have a section of garden too. We have more eggs than we can use lol. All I would say is be prepared for large quantities of poo!

We've got 3 isa browns in a coop with long run at one end, they have a section of garden too. We have more eggs than we can use lol. All I would say is be prepared for large quantities of poo!

but if you grow your own veg, you don't need to buy fertiliser!!! :winkwink:

That is true! Our veggie patch is well nourished!

Arr, brilliant, my OH is very into growing his veggies :) so that will be great !

Aw, I'd love to keep chickens but unfortuently my Garden is too small :(

When I was younger we had chickens at the bottom of the garden (wire fenced off though) but our neighbour always used to let us help feed them and collect their eggs.

If I move in the future to a house with a bigger garden, I'd definately consider them :)..

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->