Does anyone know anything about pap smear results?

Natsku

Reaction score
I got my results today and they say I have to come back for another smear in 6 months time.
These were the results:
Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance (ASC-US)
Atypical glandular cells, NOS

What does that mean? Should I be worried?

Not sure what results mean, but I had a borderline abnormal smear a few years back and I had to have another 6 months later to see if it was just normal cell grow(which it was and usually is) I would imagine it could be something similar.

Wish they wouldn't use stupidly hard to understand things in medical letters.
Try not to worry, just ask the doctors to clarify
Xx

I study biomed, not qualified, but I'll try and help!

It's fairly normal to have some atypical cells in the cervix as there are junctions where cells go through metaplasia - where one cell type (squamous cells) turn into another cell type (columnar cells). But, abnormal cells can also suggest an abnormal growth.

If they're only asking you to go back in 6 months, then it is unlikely to be serious. Usually if they see a lot of worrying growths or abnormal cells in a smear then they'll send the patient straight for a colposcopy. Normally if they ask you to go back in 6 months time it's because although they have found abnormal cells, they're only mild and may return back to normal. So, they want to see you in 6 months to check if the abnormal cells have settled down or whether there is further abnormal growth.

At this point I wouldn't be worried! If they were worried then you'd be sent for a colposcopy straight away.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks. Kinda worried cos I've been googling and seems these glandular cells can be worrisome but hoping they're not too concerned as they haven't sent me for a colposcopy as you said.

Ah don't google! I'm a hypocrite for saying that as that's what I did, but it gets you stressed.

For me, it could have been the start of abnormal cell growth, or just normal-so I made sure I ate well, and had plenty of green tea and waited for my follow up. Looking after myself made me feel I was being proactive.

It's annoying you have to wait, but it's the only way they can see how the cells are behaving. Do go back though if you have bleeding between periods though.

As op says, they would likely give you a colposcopy if had big concerns.

Xx

I'm a bit concerned that they're not following up sooner because they are really busy (one gynecologist for the whole town and surrounding area) so I've decided I'm going to wait a month or two and then if I'm still feeling really worried I'm going to go to a private gynecologist.

I'm a bit concerned that they're not following up sooner because they are really busy (one gynecologist for the whole town and surrounding area) so I've decided I'm going to wait a month or two and then if I'm still feeling really worried I'm going to go to a private gynecologist.

Good idea hun :thumbup:
You don't want to be worrying about this too long.
Could you ask to see the gynecologist or speak to him to discuss your results in the meantime?
xx

There wasn't a phone number for the gynecologist on the results paper

hi i got a similar result after i had my son i called in to see my gp who talked me through it.

Nats, ive had 2 procedures done after abnormal results (pre cancerous cells) and they just got on and did it fairly soon . if they are re doing the smear in 6 months they are not that worried. If they do need to do anything it will probably be an outpatient appt. FWIW my last few smears have been normal and are back to every 3 years :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->