Does anyone know how much their LO stirs in the night?

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by ginab, Nov 15, 2011.

1. ginab

ginab Mummy to Maggie Mae

For my sins I have a video monitor which I stare at far too much, but regardless of that I have noticed that my little girl stirs in the night LOADS.

Sometimes she wakes up and cries then goes back to sleep and sometimes she just goes back to sleep with no crying but it seems she stirs and changes position about 10 times in an hour sometimes less???

To me she seem really restless, and she's always been like this, im wondering if this is normal??

2. RachA

RachA Well-Known Member

I've never monitored mine but from the bumping against headboards etc i can say they do move around a lot. I also had to share a bed with my eldest when he was a little under 2 - the boy did not stop moving all night and i didn't get any sleep at all.

3. ginab

ginab Mummy to Maggie Mae

Ah thanks hun thats made me feel a bit better, ive been googling about all sorts of disorders and medical conditions that could be related to restlessness at night.

so maybe its an age thing perhaps? I should turn the monitor off really... I hate the thought of her being awake and me not.. so sad i know :dohh:

4. Kitten

Kitten Mummy to Theakston & Nyah

Theakston definitely does, the positions we find him in are interesting!

5. stardust599

stardust599 Well-Known Member

I don't have a video monitor and wouldn't risk going into my LO's room to check but from our normal monitor I hear her wake/stir about 8times a night, maybe more? She cries and wriggles and settles herself back down within 10-15mins xx

6. Bexx

Bexx I'm a mum!

In the early months, babies have a 40 minute sleep cycle. This increases to just over an hour I believe throughout the toddler years. So towards the end of that time, your LO will be in very light sleep and may even wake briefly before settling down again.

As adults, our sleep cycle typically lasts 90 minutes and many people stir but don't remember in the morning. It's perfectly normal.

I'm very aware of Zachary's movements and look at the video monitor whenever he wakes. He tends to whine a bit before finding a comfy position and going down again. At the moment, he's waking and making noise 2-3 times per night, but I know he stirs and shuffles around regularly throughout the whole night.