does anyone know

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by storm11, Nov 16, 2011.

1. storm11

storm11 Well-Known Member

hello there was just wondering if anyone knows how far along in pregnancy can the baby open there eyes. its just i went for a scan and the baby had his eyes open i got a picture of it will upload it in a min was just after some thoughts around how many weeks this can happen thank you x

2. AngelUK

AngelUK Mummy of twin boys

I thought the eyelids are fused till about 27 weeks and they can open their eyes after that? Not sure though.

3. auraobie

auraobie Well-Known Member

I think the old thinking was about 28 weeks, but since the increase in 4D scanning, the general consensus is that perhaps it is earlier for some babies. (not that they can see anything!)

4. storm11

i am just trying to upload a pic so you can have a look it was on an ordinary scan machine

5. Mummy of Ange

Mummy of Ange Well-Known Member

I had my babies at 23 weeks and their eyes were still fused shut xx

6. storm11

oh bless hun x. i am trying with the photo but not very good at it, well i can say the scan pic was taken at 24 weeks and his eyes are clearly open as the pupil has reflected the laser of the scanner machine and can clearly be seen, i didnt think it was possible for baby to open eyes this early on. will try and scan it on to comp x

7. Angharad87

Angharad87 Expecting no.1

If it's a normal ultrasound be careful scanning! Iv heard the scanner can damage te film paper and black out the photo! :( take a photo on your phone and upload is safe I think.

8. kat2504

kat2504 Well-Known Member

I thought they were fused shut until 26 weeks or so. i read this in a pregnancy book.

9. kirbyland1986

kirbyland1986 expecting number 2

I'm not sure but I know they are closed till later in pregnancy and copying and scanning the pictures are fine - I did it on both mine and all was ok.