Does anyone run a nursery?

missk1989

Reaction score
Iam looking at seting up a nursery with my partner and thought that done right this could be a great family buisness that would make us money doing something that we love. Watching Children develop and providing the foundations of an education is so important to us that i feel we could be great at this. I have a pgce and have worked with kids since I was 15. However, we would like this to be a joint venture and so it would have to be profitable enough to support a whole family. My main concern is that people claim that the 15hours free childcare means it is difficult to make a profit. I always thought the government paid this back to the nurseries? Any advice or information greatly appreciated. :flower:

I don't but a friend of mine is a childminder. Her husband is her assistant and they run it as a full time venture from home.

They've been doing it for nearly 4 years now - my eldest was their first paying customer lol - and they seem to be doing alright.

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but it's definitely doable - their website is
https://www.bluehousechildminding.co.uk/

I'm pretty sure the free childcare is paid back, or else nurseries wouldn't exist in areas where there is high unemployment.

They are paid back. When my daughter was at nursery I had to fill in a form which the nursery submitted to the council and I received a cheque each term from the nursery for my 15 free hours (£500 a time).

Nurseries and childminders do get paid by the local council for the 15 free hours BUT the rate tends to be lower than the normal hourly rate they charge.

Ok thanks. It's something I'll have to do plenty of research for!

They are paid back. When my daughter was at nursery I had to fill in a form which the nursery submitted to the council and I received a cheque each term from the nursery for my 15 free hours (£500 a time).

Was she at a private nursery? I've never received the free 15 hours as we were told the nursery don't have 'partnership funding'. I was even hoping to get a cheque every term to reimburse us slightly but it's never happened! Do you know if everyone entitled to it or not? I'd like to take it further if I could.

Was she at a private nursery? I've never received the free 15 hours as we were told the nursery don't have 'partnership funding'. I was even hoping to get a cheque every term to reimburse us slightly but it's never happened! Do you know if everyone entitled to it or not? I'd like to take it further if I could.

My son gets the 15 free hours in a private nursery, we pay the wrap around care.

That doesn't sound right at all!!!

River is at a private nursery and she gets her 15 hours.

We're opening a nursery soon and was told by ofsted and the council not every nursery has to sign up for this. So that could be what they ment. I know there's a few in our area who aren't.

Everyone is entitled to it but not all nurseries accept the funding.

Ok! Is there anything we can do about it would you know? I was going to talk to my local councillor and ask about, I was under the impression that the government paid out for every child! I'm not sure how it works though.

I thought all nurseries did the 15hrs free because thats what the government says EVERY child is entitled to! Didnt know it depends on the nursery? Oscar goes private and gets two year funding (15 hrs free) and is staying on for preschool from september where he will receive 15hrs free again.

Ok! Is there anything we can do about it would you know? I was going to talk to my local councillor and ask about, I was under the impression that the government paid out for every child! I'm not sure how it works though.

Not as far as I'm aware. Did they tell you they didn't accept it? If they did then you had the option to move your lo. Nurserys have to register for the funding if there a private nursery and so it's up to the owners if they do.

Nope. If your nursery doesn't accept the funding then the only way to get it would be to change to a childminder/nursery/preschool that does.

Not as far as I'm aware. Did they tell you they didn't accept it? If they did then you had the option to move your lo. Nurserys have to register for the funding if there a private nursery and so it's up to the owners if they do.

Yeah we were told by the nursery they don't have partnership funding! I actually never knew that nurseries could be refused it. Moving him wasn't an option as the nurseries around here have 3 year waiting lists and are really full! I spoke to a couple of childminders when he was around 3 but wasn't really that impressed with them.

Iam looking at seting up a nursery with my partner and thought that done right this could be a great family buisness that would make us money doing something that we love. Watching Children develop and providing the foundations of an education is so important to us that i feel we could be great at this. I have a pgce and have worked with kids since I was 15. However, we would like this to be a joint venture and so it would have to be profitable enough to support a whole family. My main concern is that people claim that the 15hours free childcare means it is difficult to make a profit. I always thought the government paid this back to the nurseries? Any advice or information greatly appreciated. :flower:

I'm thinking of setting up my own nursery (not yet - few years yet). But TBH, I wouldn't worry about the 15 hours thing. Because it could go either way - you could have more non-funded children than funded or vice versa...
Good Luck!

I'm thinking of setting up my own nursery (not yet - few years yet). But TBH, I wouldn't worry about the 15 hours thing. Because it could go either way - you could have more non-funded children than funded or vice versa...
Good Luck!

Thanks. Im a bit worried how my parents will react as i only have about 5 years on and off experience with nurseries and my mum had been a manager of a nursery for over a decade and has 20 + years experience so knows alot more than i do. Im not sure they will be very supportive about this.

TBH, I've been in the childcare industry since 2005, and currently planning to progress to my EYTS in the future. But I'd personally still consider myself that I need more experience. Because the first hurdle is Ofsted. As long as you can tell Ofsted how you will meet requirements of the EYFS, you're flying!!

Perhaps your mom would be supportive as she has the experience of managing a nursery??
But personally I think running a nursery is one of the hardest business there is. Not only do you have the normal things of running a business e.g. employing staff, balancing the books, but you also have to ensure the children receive the best possible care and education, that staff are keeping their qualifications and training current, and that you are keeping up with the changes in the sector. - But it can be done!!

Would was your degree in, if you don't mind me asking?

TBH, I've been in the childcare industry since 2005, and currently planning to progress to my EYTS in the future. But I'd personally still consider myself that I need more experience. Because the first hurdle is Ofsted. As long as you can tell Ofsted how you will meet requirements of the EYFS, you're flying!!

Perhaps your mom would be supportive as she has the experience of managing a nursery??
But personally I think running a nursery is one of the hardest business there is. Not only do you have the normal things of running a business e.g. employing staff, balancing the books, but you also have to ensure the children receive the best possible care and education, that staff are keeping their qualifications and training current, and that you are keeping up with the changes in the sector. - But it can be done!!

Would was your degree in, if you don't mind me asking?

It was in psychology

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->