Does breakthrough bleeding make the pill less effective?

Booksmart

Me and my OH
Reaction score
I've been on the pill for over five years now. Within the past six months or so I have had some breakthrough bleeding (I usually don't have this problem). I may have missed 1-2 pills and I know that this will account for the bleeding.

This past month I have been much more careful not to miss any pills but still had some very minor bleeding (more like brown discharge, sorry TMI). I'm thinking stress caused this to happen. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if breakthrough bleeding is any indication that the pill is less effective?

I will search the internet but thought I would ask you ladies first.

:D

are u on the combined or mini pill?

Combined. The generic version of Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo.

If your bleeding unless due to your week break you should realy talk to your doctor as this shouldent realy be happening.

This happened to me, i bled for 2 months constant because i missed 2 pills, i had to be put on noisterone (sp) to make it stop!

This happens to me. I've been on BCP for 8 years...the past 2-3 years I've had breakthrough (brown) bleeding each month. I had a sonogram and everything looked fine. The ob/gyn said it often occurs when women are on the pill for a long time. It does not mean the pill is less effective and there is no danger. It's just an inconvenience.

I would also be getting a check up and a smear - abnormal bleeding can be a sign of a cervical erosion (easily fixed) or changes in your cervix that may need treatment. Let us know how you get on x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->