Does it hurt having the IUD (coil) fitted? - UPDATE page 4!

ttc_lolly

Mum to 3 girls :)
Reaction score
Ok, ok... I know I sound like a right chicken sh!t :rofl: but does it!?

I went for my consultation last week and she booked me in to have it fitted tomoro evening. I thought it was quite a simple procedure, and felt the same as a smear :shrug: however she told me to take some ibuprofen beforehand :wacko: is it really going to hurt!? Help!! I'm scared (only a bit though :haha:) hehe! x

Hehehe yes it is!! I'll edit the name of the thread incase anyone else is confused! x

EDIT: I'm having the non-hormone, copper coil if that makes any difference to procedure/pain!!

Sorry i cant actually answer your question, lol, but im also probably gonna get one fitted so will be stalking this thread! I'm sure its not bad and is over really quickly, a couple of friends got it done and they didnt say much about pain or anything xx

I'm not gunna lie yes it hurts but seriously, its done and its amazing to not have to worry. I'm having 1 until sept when we ttc again.

I'm not gunna lie yes it hurts but seriously, its done and its amazing to not have to worry. I'm having 1 until sept when we ttc again.

Oh... How long does the pain last for??

I had it fitted on 2 seperate occasions and even though they numb the area, mine hurt like hell to the point of having involuntary tears (something I didn't even experience in childbirth lol). I wouldn't put myself through that again.

I had it fitted on 2 seperate occasions and even though they numb the area, mine hurt like hell to the point of having involuntary tears (something I didn't even experience in childbirth lol). I wouldn't put myself through that again.

Oh dear...

I've had the copper coil for 3 months now. Having it taken out in August though as that's when we TTC again :happydance:

Having it in was uncomfortable. But not that bad. I felt crampy afterwards so took 2 paracetemol and all was back to normal.

I must say, it's fabulous. Can stay in for up to 10 years, no remembering to take it, no topping it up. It's done!

I had no bleeding afterwards, no bleeding since, no side effects, no weight gain, bleeding complications. Nothing!

I would recommend it to everyone, and best of all, ideal if you want to TTC again without messing your body around with hormones :thumbup:

let us know how it goes, ive got mine next week!!
and when i had my consultation app thingy they gave me a 'swab test' (to check for infection before hand or iud would make it worse if you did have one!) and that was uncomfortable, so im dreading the atual coil going in!!!

I had one fitted 4 years ago and it was the worst pain!! I even came out and fainted in the waiting room afterwards (the only time in my life ever).
BUT my doc did try and talk me out of it as I had never had children, I think your cervix is so much wider after childbirth that it wont hurt so bad.

Im guessing it also depends on who is fitting it - like some smears hurt and some dont because of the expertise of the person doing it xx

Oh god :wacko: so everyone's hurt accept aob1013's!?! That's not a percentage I like to see :dohh: hahaha!! Guess I'm just going to have to man up :nope: !!

aob- did u take any painkillers beforehand? actually did any of you?

Not looking good for us Nut_Shake :rofl: x

I had one fitted 4 years ago and it was the worst pain!! I even came out and fainted in the waiting room afterwards (the only time in my life ever).
BUT my doc did try and talk me out of it as I had never had children, I think your cervix is so much wider after childbirth that it wont hurt so bad.

OMG u poor thing :hugs: I googled and read on another forum that a lady had hers fitted before childbirth & she fainted too. x

Oh... How long does the pain last for??

For the time they were putting it in, about 20 minutes... and crampy after. Its not pleasant but not THAT bad... don't worry to much, the pro's out weigh the cons xx

I've got to have it put back in with knowledge!! Thats worse LOL!

They recommed you only have it once you have been pregnant.

I didn't take any beforehand, but i guess you could do to take the edge off it.

happigail you are brave!! but you're right - the pro's do far outweigh the con's! Looks like i'll be detouring to the chemist first to get a pack of ibuprofen! x

also this sounds nuts but I swear when it comes out it kinda clears everything out down there (sorry that sounds so gross!) but I caught REALLY quick after having mine out yet had ttc for several years when I was much younger and didn't catch.

also this sounds nuts but I swear when it comes out it kinda clears everything out down there (sorry that sounds so gross!) but I caught REALLY quick after having mine out yet had ttc for several years when I was much younger and didn't catch.

wow really!? amazing!! definitely a pro :thumbup: ... does it hurt coming out!? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->