Does it hurt having the IUD (coil) fitted? - UPDATE page 4!

Well i had a cesearean so my cervix hasn't widened.

So erm maybe i'll stick to good old fashioned condoms... Or maybe i just won't have sex ever again...

Well i had a cesearean so my cervix hasn't widened.

So erm maybe i'll stick to good old fashioned condoms... Or maybe i just won't have sex ever again...

nooooo dont worry, my first one I hadn't given birth either! I adopted my first child!!

also this sounds nuts but I swear when it comes out it kinda clears everything out down there (sorry that sounds so gross!) but I caught REALLY quick after having mine out yet had ttc for several years when I was much younger and didn't catch.

wow really!? amazing!! definitely a pro :thumbup: ... does it hurt coming out!? x

Just a little but its FAST!

Does it hurt anymore than when the mw's check for dilation?
If it does can i ask for gas and air?

oh god i sound sooo silly.
It did hurt though!!!

I was really nervous about having mine fitted - especially as someone told me they'd heard it was 'like being raped'!! Charming. I can honestly say it was uncomfortable for about 2 minutes and then it was fine. I took nurofen 30 minutes before and had some cramping afterwards. For a few days after it was uncomfortable - like if you have a tampon not in properly but now its fine!! And i had only ever had one smear before because I was so scared!! If I can go through it and not cry/scream etc anyone can!!

:rofl: @ sarah10 - i don't think they have g&a at the clinics hun!!

i am actually shitting myself now :wacko: arghhhh!! ahhh well, it has to be done!! ibuprofen it is! i'll let u all know how i get on! x

:rofl: @ sarah10 - i don't think they have g&a at the clinics hun!!

i am actually shitting myself now :wacko: arghhhh!! ahhh well, it has to be done!! ibuprofen it is! i'll let u all know how i get on! x

Yes please do let me know, i told hubby i dont want it anymore, lol!!

BTW i'm sure it will be over before you know it!

I've had the copper coil for 3 months now. Having it taken out in August though as that's when we TTC again :happydance:

Having it in was uncomfortable. But not that bad. I felt crampy afterwards so took 2 paracetemol and all was back to normal.

I must say, it's fabulous. Can stay in for up to 10 years, no remembering to take it, no topping it up. It's done!

I had no bleeding afterwards, no bleeding since, no side effects, no weight gain, bleeding complications. Nothing!

I would recommend it to everyone, and best of all, ideal if you want to TTC again without messing your body around with hormones :thumbup:

Can I just ask what kind of coil you had? If I remember correctly my doctor told me one type can make you have really heavy and frequent periods and that doesn't sound fun!

lou&ivy - it is the copper coil (non hormone) that can make you have heavier, painful periods so is advised not to have this if you already have painful/heavy periods anyway! x

Eeek thanks for making this thread ttc_lolly, I hadn't thought about the procedure at all before this and now I'm crapping myself :rofl:

I've had the copper coil for 3 months now. Having it taken out in August though as that's when we TTC again :happydance:

Having it in was uncomfortable. But not that bad. I felt crampy afterwards so took 2 paracetemol and all was back to normal.

I must say, it's fabulous. Can stay in for up to 10 years, no remembering to take it, no topping it up. It's done!

I had no bleeding afterwards, no bleeding since, no side effects, no weight gain, bleeding complications. Nothing!

I would recommend it to everyone, and best of all, ideal if you want to TTC again without messing your body around with hormones :thumbup:

Can I just ask what kind of coil you had? If I remember correctly my doctor told me one type can make you have really heavy and frequent periods and that doesn't sound fun!

Copper hun x

Oh gosh, I was thinking this might be a good option for me after this baby is born but now I'm not so sure. Do they have to stretch your cervix to insert it? Is that why it hurts a woman who hasn't had a vaginal birth so much more?
Can anyone tell me how the copper one prevents pregnancy?

I won't lie to you, I had a Mirena (that's the hormone one I think) fitted in-between having my two girls, it hurt like hell but I also had someone fit it who had only just qualified in fitting them and wasn't very confident, I took paracetamol just beforehand and it took the edge off it - just felt like bad period pains for a few days after. (I did take to my bed for the rest of the day after having it fitted but that's more cos I'm a drama queen and don't cope with pain very well!!) when I had it taken out I didn't realise she had taken it out until she showed it to me!! Good luck xx

Eeek thanks for making this thread ttc_lolly, I hadn't thought about the procedure at all before this and now I'm crapping myself :rofl:

no problem hun!! me too :rofl: but it is true... pro's definitely outweigh the cons (although still crapping my pants!) painkillers here i come!! x

Oh gosh, I was thinking this might be a good option for me after this baby is born but now I'm not so sure. Do they have to stretch your cervix to insert it? Is that why it hurts a woman who hasn't had a vaginal birth so much more?
Can anyone tell me how the copper one prevents pregnancy?

it prevents pregnancy the same as the mirena hun... doesn't allow sperm to reach the eggs, or fertilised eggs to get to the uterus. sperm also hates copper too, so it has a small piece of copper inside to deter the little buggers!! x

EDIT: the cervix isn't stretched, just the vaginal passage opened so they can see inside :haha: they do stick a long plastic rod (it's only thin) inside of the cervix to measure the length of the uterus to determine what size coil u need x

i'm worried I've put people off or scared people, it's not like a NICE experience, but its quick and you just dont have to worry, or have fake hormones and be INSTANTLY fertile when it comes out!!

Hehehe awww don't be worried hun... I needed to know the truth, now I can prepare myself (and probably for the worse, and it'll be absolutely fine so that'll be a bonus in itself :lol:) I've been off and on with all different types of pills & the injection for all of my sexual lifetime :haha: and it proper messed my body up (weight, skin, etc etc!) and then ttc :wacko: so this IS the best solution! x

Hope you are right that you get instantly pregnant happigirl!!

Yup it hurts a lot! But loads better than any other contraceptive method IMO. I'm gonna see if they put it in under sedation at a Marie Stopes clinic and if so I'll save up. I had a section so I know it won't be any less painful second time round.

Happygail - funny you should say that: I had my IUD out on Jan 15th and got my BFP on Feb 7th! So maybe it does whip out any gunge when they take it out! Mmmm nice! :haha:

well ladies had my appt at 6.45pm today and was absolutely crapping myself :haha: made OH come to the clinic with me incase I felt faint afterwards but was 96% sure I was going to chicken out and ask for the pill! :rofl:... but I had a lovely dr who was really friendly, I told her I was really scared and she said not to be, it's nothing & over within mins! so she talked me into it basically, and thank god she did! I felt nothing... literally not a thing, except when the speculum (sp?) pinged on my ''sensitive'' bit down there :haha: I did take 2 ibuprofen around 30mins beforehand so that may have helped... I like to think it was just down to my toughness :rofl: Still no pains or cramping either :happydance: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->