Does omeperazole stop the contraceptive pill from working?

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
I've currently got some sort of bug and have been getting stomach pains. I've been getting heartburn on and off since I was pregnant with LO, hubby has chronic heartburn and takes omeperazole 20mg... When I get heartburn I take these. I've just been chatting with my friend and she told me that omeperazole stop the pill from working? Does anyone know if this is true? Some of the bug symptoms I have had/got are the same as the ones I had when I was pregnant and now I'm panicking :(

Please don't take your husbands Omeprazole, it's intended use is as a long-term medication to prevent heartburn, not to as a one off to cure heartburn when you do suffer from it. If you feel that you take it regularly enough, go to your GP for your own prescription.
Omeprazole doesn't stop the pill from working, the only medication that can affect the pill are certain types of antibiotics (as far as I know). However, if you have a tummy bug and are experiencing vomiting and/or diarrhoea, it is advised to use additional contraception (such as condoms) for 48 hours after symptoms stop.

I get the omeperazole prescribed to myself sometimes but haven't got any. My GP told me they are fine to take as and when needed and that you don't need to take them every day. I'm glad to know that they don't cancel the pill out!

Whilst I don't know about the pill (and assume not) I do believe Jen is right, it needs to be taken regular to have an effect, and can take several days to even start to work, so I suspect your doc is wrong. Zantac/ranitidine is more suitable for an on/off remedy for heartburn, the tablet form is great and I tend to use that

Whilst I don't know about the pill (and assume not) I do believe Jen is right, it needs to be taken regular to have an effect, and can take several days to even start to work, so I suspect your doc is wrong. Zantac/ranitidine is more suitable for an on/off remedy for heartburn, the tablet form is great and I tend to use that

I didn't know that. My silly doctor! He just told me to take as and when needed but no more than 2 tablets in a day! That would explain why I'm still getting stomach pains! I think I may have some ranitidine somewhere, will it be ok for me to take one if I've had an omeperazole today?

No it won't affect the pill, but agree with others about it being a long term thing, it lines the stomach and needs to build up, taking it on and off can result in a build up of acid in some
People.

Yes, in your case it will be fine. :)

You might want to get the pains checked out though, I've got a friend going through the same and she has a stomach ulcer, she's been hitting the tabs too xx

No it won't affect the pill, but agree with others about it being a long term thing, it lines the stomach and needs to build up, taking it on and off can result in a build up of acid in some
People.

I can't believe my doctor told me it was ok to take on and off! I'm a bit annoyed now actually! What a muppet!

I've taken them on and off myself as has my husband but they don't help unless you let them build up for a few days.

I've been taking one a day for the last 3 days and got a GP appointment tomorrow to get some more... I think I might have a stomach ulcer :(

It's a bacteria that lives in some people stomachs which can cause stomach pain, and go on to cause more problems like ulcers. I had it, anti biotics clear it up.

It's a bacteria that lives in some people stomachs which can cause stomach pain, and go on to cause more problems like ulcers. I had it, anti biotics clear it up.

Okay thanks I'll mention it to my doctor tomorrow.. I'll have to write it down, no chance of remembering that lol!

My OH has them and it is not long term use for him either he just takes as he needs them. It doesnt take a few days to work for him? He only suffers with bad stomach pains every few months so it is not worth his while to take them long term. His doc prescribes as and when he needs them.

Unsure about the pill sorry x

I used to be on it and I take Rividon (sp sorry!) all fine not pregnant

Turns out I didn't need the omeperazole anyway.. I've got a bladder infection, not a stomach ulcer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->