Does the father have to consent to the name on the birth certificate?

iakyri

Reaction score
Really, really long story. I'm married, but my husband just told me that he wants a divorce. I still want to work out the marriage (obviously) but he is unwilling.

My question is this: if he follows through and continues through with his plan, I still don't think we will be divorced by the time the baby is born.

If we are still married, does he have to consent to the name on the birth certificate?

No he's doesn't even have to be there to register the baby.
And I am so sorry you're going through this :( :hugs:

I don't know the law in Texas but in the UK, either parent can register the baby's birth. So in theory, he could go and do it first and pick the name he wants. Not saying he'd do that of course but might be worth finding out whether that's a possibility where you are. Sorry you're having to deal with this. :hugs:

Check out the regulations in yr area. I wouldn't know. I would not mention the rules to him though.
See if you can find common ground fr the name as your husband will always be the father & you surely don't want him to hate your/his child's name. If he's not even willing to discuss, at least you tried.

Wishing you strength & I hope you can create a supportive network around you to get you through.

Sorry you're going through this :(
I think it's in your hands. Either way, I wouldn't stress about it. U have bigger things in your plate right now. Focus on your beautiful baby and the blessing you are about to receive. Don't stress about how you can eff over your stupid soon to be ex bc you will lose the connection with your baby due to anger about the loser that's leaving you while you're pregnant. Everything will work out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->