Does this mean my milk production is decreasing???

Mrs.iwnamkabb

A Family Begins with Love
Reaction score
Is anyone able to answer a breastfeeding question for me?

When Isaac was first born and my milk came in, my boobs got so large and full that they leaked all over the place. After we got home and I started pumping, I was able to get a minimum of 5oz each time I pumped. 3-4 oz out of one breast and 2-3oz out of the other. One time they were so full I got 9oz total at one time.
Well my LO is more of a snacker and sometimes he'll sit on there for 5 min before passing out so we gave him a bottle. He ate 3oz and slept the longest that he ever had at tht point and I was a me to get some sleep. Yay.
Well I'm not sure if that's inhibited me. I nurse him about 4-6 times a day and before he takes his 3 hour naps I feed him my milk out of a bottle so that I know he's getting the full amount.
Well now when I pump I'm only getting 1-1.5 oz out of each one.. I nurse him regularly and I read that as long as I'm nursing my milk production shouldn't decrease.. But it's seeming that it is.. As far as pumping goes.

Now after I pump and only get that amount, he can still latch on and fully nurse.. And get full (I think) as he seems content and falls asleep.. But why can't I pump that much out of them?
I need to start stockpiling for when I return to work and the bags of frozen milk that used to be 6-8oz full have gone down to only being 2-3oz full :?

Is something wrong? I've never gone to the breastfeeding clinic as I feel completely confident in my abilities.. But I'm starting to wonder..?

We spent $240 on this pump.. And I will be heartbroken if I have to start supplementing... Or possibly not be able to bf anymore. :( I can't help but feel sad right now... Any advice??

When your milk first comes it, it's due to the fall in progesterone, most women will have more than what baby needs, over the weeks your milk supply becomes regulated by supply and demand. If you want to stockpile, maybe you can pump from one side while baby feeds from another, or pump in the early morning, these would normally yield more milk from pumping. Some women don't respond as well to a pump as they do to the suckling of a baby, so if you've been replacing baby's time at the breast with bottled bm, that could impact your supply, during this time try to have baby feed from the breast as much as possible to ensure your supply stays high. Be aware that some babies cannot cope with oversupply and overactive letdown but it doesn't sound like it's a problem for your baby.

Your supply is regulating to how much you're demanding but until 6 weeks you should pump for every feed that you give him a bittle

I would suggest checking out "Kelly Mom" it is a great breastfeeding resource website. I would say that for most women 1.5oz from each breast is around average. I know in the beginning I produced tons of milk, but as my LO and I established our BFing routine my supply regulated. At first we also topped her off with bottles, but soon realized that she was getting more than enough from me alone.

I stuck with pumping while LO napped and soon I have a 100oz stash I pumped way more than baby needed this week

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->