Does this sound like thrush?

leigh5tom

Mum to two :)
Reaction score
Hiya ladies,

Since my lb was about 2wks old, I've had a burning feeling after feeds. His mouth was clear so my midwife wasn't worried & said it can sometimes happen and to see how it goes.
Anyway, I notice one day a thick white covering on his tongue, HV said yep oral thrush. I told her about my burning breasts (and also my nipples which are VERY sensitive to the point I can't hug my husband too tightly) and she said it was ductal thrush & to ask GP for treatment.

Saw GP who gave baby Nystatin and canesten cream for me. Doctor also says there's no such thing as ductal thrush? Cream made naff all difference so I saw another doctor who says the same!

My nipples were badly cracked from before LO had his tongue tie and have never healed fully. They don't hurt, they just look a bit funny. I heard this could be a sign of thrush too (that they aren't healing) The are also red & shiny.

What should I do? I'm sure it's inside my breast aswell but if the doctors say it doesn't exist what can I do? X

A lot of doctors out there have no knowledge of this subject! There is absolutely something called ductal thrush, I had it with my first. I had to fight looong and hard to get fluconazole tablets. In the end I had to print off a leaflet, think it was by la leche league to take and show the doctors. They are also very reluctant to give you fluconazole as it has not been formally tested on breastfeeding mums and babies, though anecdotally there are no problems.
I would get the leaflet and go back to your doctors and basically insist on the tablets. It didn't make me feel good but I had to do it for my baby there's no way I couldbe carried on breastfeeding with the pain I was in.
Some doctors do get it, last time I had mastitis the doctor said to me, it's most likely to be bacterial but can be fungal. I was very impressed with him.

Eta it's the breastfeeding network the leaflet not la leche league, if you google fluconazole breast thrush it comes up. Good luck

Thank you. The last doctor I saw told me the burning pain in my breasts was my milk ducts contracting lol xx

Sometimes GP's are seriously useless! Agree with PP as I had ductal thrush and fought the same battle!! Hope it gets sorted soon. Have you read up on boil washing bras etc so the thrush doesnt come back? I didnt know about it first time, hence it coming back again....:blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->