Does this woman deserve jail time? *Warning:Talk of death*

The reason I don't think she deserves jail time if it was an accident is because I think there is a good chance there is something wrong with her mentally, do you know what I mean? Severe PND, something like that. If that's the case I definitely don't think she belongs in a jail, she should be getting help, possibly in a mental institution. There must be something wrong for her to forget about her child like that. I suppose if they did a full assessment on her and found that she was of perfectly sound mind, then maybe I would feel differently, I'm not sure...but I can't imagine anyone who is of sound mind would forget their baby for that long. :(
If it were my child that she left in the car for 9 hours, I have to admit I would probably want her to go to jail - but that's because then emotion would be involved...and emotion should not be involved when it comes to the law and the justice system.
This is just my opinion. :flower:

What a sad,sad thing to read :cry:

I think I agree w/peanut that she needs a full pychiatric evaluation and that maybe some sort of mental institution is better for her.

It's hard to believe that anyone could forget their child especially for 9 hours .. but we don't know her full story.

It's still an awful horrible despicable thing to happen no matter the circumstance, and truly heartbreaking to read .. and that woman must just feel like dieing herself.

I don't even know what else to say .. i'm just so sorry for the baby that I can't even think what should happen to the mother ATM.

Not at all. It was a mistake. A horrible, heartbreaking mistake but still a mistake :cry: Be careful with the strength of your words guys cos I'm sure there was a thread about situations like this a few months back and some people said they had done it.

Surely if your 6 month old was in daycare you'd think to call them at some point to see if they're ok? No? Surely just the thought of your child would jog your memory and make you realise they were still in the car? Awful, tragic, that poor baby.
I never call to see if Noah is ok, if he wasnt ok they would ring me :shrug: But I do agree your mind would wander to them at some point of the day and you'd remember. But like a PP said maybe she was just too terrified to go back to the car? :cry: I can't even imagine...

I do not think for one second a MOTHER could forget her child for 9 hours. Barely 60 seconds pass when i dont think about harrison, where he is, who he is with, what he is doing... so i dont quite believe that it was an accident. I DO work full time, and sometimes i am sleep deprived - doesnt mean i forget my baby!

I believe in guilty until proven innocent in cases like this, because to read its bloody awful.
That poor child died because her mother forgot her for 9 hours.... if i forgot to change harrison's bum for 9 hours, its neglect. forgot to feed him for 9 hours, neglect. She forgot her altogether and that in itself is awful.

If its PND or something causing her behaviour, then maybe severe mental help is needed rather than jail.. but she needs something. She cant walk through life forgetting everything. Cause and consequence.

I really think living with the fact she left her child in a car to die is consequence enough. She's probably not all there, and jail would more than likely send her over the edge. Sitting in a cell 24/7 thinking over and over and over what you did? How you could have prevented it? What ifs? It'd be enough to send anyone loopy. Nope,she needs help not punishment

I just dont get how it seems so different from another form of accidental death(theyd get jail)... Just because a she is a mother? Who FORGOT about her child, where it probably suffered horrendously.. And she just get off scot free!! .. Even if she needs help it doesnt excuse anyones behaviour, she should have mental care THEN jail once of sound mind if that is the case! She took a life through negligence.. How is that different from another human form of manslaughter, as that is what it is!

Oh my, thats so awful! That poor baby! It breaks my heart to think of a baby left in that situation.

I fully believe that no mother could just forget about their baby for 9hrs. Surely even the momentum of thinking of the child would trigger the realisation that she hadn't dropped her off at daycare??

Wether she belongs in jail or a psychiatric facility, she needs to go through the courts to get complete assessments and let the judge make a decision, although, I work in a psychiatric facility for people who have committed crimes (formally known as an institution for the criminally insane) and let me tell you, it is not necessarily any better than prison. Many of the women I work with state that they preferred life in prison, mainly because they would get out sooner, lots of people choose the mental health route thinking they will get 'cured' and be released, it's just not the case, you are still subject to minimum terms in a lot of cases and quite often will go to prison anyway after treatment.
Yes, she would get the treatment she needed, if infact she was suffering a mental illness but she would still be experiencing the 'punishment' part of it, being locked up, kept away from society, expected to reflect on and learn from her crime etc, and lets not forget, that wether this was an accident or on purpose, this was a crime.

Oh my, thats so awful! That poor baby! It breaks my heart to think of a baby left in that situation.

I fully believe that no mother could just forget about their baby for 9hrs. Surely even the momentum of thinking of the child would trigger the realisation that she hadn't dropped her off at daycare??

Wether she belongs in jail or a psychiatric facility, she needs to go through the courts to get complete assessments and let the judge make a decision, although, I work in a psychiatric facility for people who have committed crimes (formally known as an institution for the criminally insane) and let me tell you, it is not necessarily any better than prison. Many of the women I work with state that they preferred life in prison, mainly because they would get out sooner, lots of people choose the mental health route thinking they will get 'cured' and be released, it's just not the case, you are still subject to minimum terms in a lot of cases and quite often will go to prison anyway after treatment.
Yes, she would get the treatment she needed, if infact she was suffering a mental illness but she would still be experiencing the 'punishment' part of it, being locked up, kept away from society, expected to reflect on and learn from her crime etc, and lets not forget, that wether this was an accident or on purpose, this was a crime.

Very good points Mrs. M! Yes, it is still a crime.
When mental illness is involved, it gets a little bit grey and not so black and white. While people will want her punished (rightfully) I also think she should be "fixed", know what I mean? IF there is a mental illness, of course.

Very good points Mrs. M! Yes, it is still a crime.
When mental illness is involved, it gets a little bit grey and not so black and white. While people will want her punished (rightfully) I also think she should be "fixed", know what I mean? IF there is a mental illness, of course.

Absolutely, and being 'fixed' IS the most important factor if she has got mental health problems, but I do believe that there has to be an element of punishment with it.

I think that some form of imprisonment is necessary or at the very least a suspended sentence and some form of psychiatric evaluation.

The police are suspicious that on the day she forgot her child was in the car she also changed her behaviour and didn't take a lunch break. They are obviously aware of factors we aren't being told in that article.

Whether she intended to harm her baby or not she did cause harm through neglect. That has to be looked into if only to prevent it happening again, either by her or someone else.

There are some very nasty people out there who would see her "getting away" with this and using it to justify doing things to their own children and trying to get away with it.

If this was a genuine accident then I feel very sorry for her even though I can't comprehend how she could forget her baby for nine hours.

I read an article once about a woman whose child died in the bathtub when she left the room for a moment. It said that a lifetime of caring properly for her children and three years of good care for this one were overruled in an instant for a momentary lapse of judgement. I felt sorry for her, and I think she did go to prison for causing death by neglect.

And I understand it could potentially happen to anyone. It's not possible to watch your children every single minute and sometimes even when you are watching them they can still manage to have an accident.

But there are some things that can be avoided and this is one of them. This wasn't a moment of looking the wrong way or leaving the room when you shouldn't, this was nine hours and a nasty way to die.

I don't think she should face a death penalty or a life in prison unless they can prove without any doubt that she deliberately left her baby to die but I do think she has to have some sort of sentence, be that in prison, suspended for a number of years or in some kind of rehabilitation place if mental issues are involved.

I havnt clicked the link. Is it an old article? Because i read something similar a couple of years ago. The car windows were blacked out and nobody could see. Its heartbreaking.
No I dont think she deserves jail time. Jail wont make her remember stuff in the future!
She probably needs councelling as it is, without locking her up.

Ah, just seen it is a recent story. Its happened before then :(

from reading this, i doubt she'll go to jail

In May 2007, Haley Sheri Wesley of Angwin in Napa County forgot that her 10-month-old daughter, Maddison, was in her car, and left her there when she went to work. The girl died, and Wesley was sentenced to probation after pleading guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment.

In June 2009, Alan Carey of El Cerrito left his 4-month-old son, Everett, in his car at BART's El Cerrito del Norte Station. The father was not charged.

Prosecutors in such situations consider such factors as the background of the parent and whether major distractions were involved.

(https://articles.sfgate.com/2010-04-20/news/20856776_1_car-seat-station-wagon-light-sleeper)

In May 2007, Haley Sheri Wesley of Angwin in Napa County forgot that her 10-month-old daughter, Maddison, was in her car, and left her there when she went to work. The girl died, and Wesley was sentenced to probation after pleading guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment.

In June 2009, Alan Carey of El Cerrito left his 4-month-old son, Everett, in his car at BART's El Cerrito del Norte Station. The father was not charged.

Prosecutors in such situations consider such factors as the background of the parent and whether major distractions were involved.

(https://articles.sfgate.com/2010-04-20/news/20856776_1_car-seat-station-wagon-light-sleeper)

Misdemeanor child endangerment? That doesn't seem right, considering an innocent child lost their life. :cry: I'm of the opinion that someone who possibly has a mental illness (severe PND, etc) should get help and not necessarily thrown in jail, depending on the circumstances...but I also don't think someone who does something that results in the death of an innocent child should get off basically scot free.
I wonder what kind of "major distractions" they consider.

Misdemeanor child endangerment? That doesn't seem right, considering an innocent child lost their life. :cry: I'm of the opinion that someone who possibly has a mental illness (severe PND, etc) should get help and not necessarily thrown in jail, depending on the circumstances...but I also don't think someone who does something that results in the death of an innocent child should get off basically scot free.

did you read the three page story that went along with that?
the parents worked 2 jobs each, had a second kid, and were comming home from doing the laundry (I guess those three things would be the distractions?)

mom thought dad had the baby, dad thought mom had the baby. the mom woke up after lunch time the next day and realised baby wasn't in the crib .. called dad at the gym, he went out to the car and found the baby .. .she'd been in the car for over 14 hours.

they said they don't go in their babies room at night because shes a "light sleeper" .. and even thought the two of them stayed up untill 3 am together they never clued in that no one had infact put that baby to bed.

so,so sad...

the parents worked 2 jobs each, had a second kid, and were comming home from doing the laundry (I guess those three things would be the distractions?)

mom thought dad had the baby, dad thought mom had the baby. the mom woke up after lunch time the next day and realised baby wasn't in the crib .. called dad at the gym, he went out to the car and found the baby .. .she'd been in the car for over 14 hours.

they said they don't go in their babies room at night because shes a "light sleeper" .. and even thought the two of them stayed up untill 3 am together they never clued in that no one had infact put that baby to bed.

so,so sad...

Really??? So no goodnight kisses before bed or anything? :neutral:

so,so sad...

Even so...11:30pm at night with a baby and a toddler. Did it need both of them to do laundry at a relatives house when the children should be at home in bed.

Also the parents stayed up until 3am and not once did they say "did Sofia go down alright" or anything like that.

Then the father got up at noon and went to the gym and the mother didn't get up until two hours later, 2pm, and noticed the baby was missing.

But who was taking care of the toddler while they slept or went out? Surely she was up and wanting some food and a clean nappy etc by that time? :shrug:

And a 7 month old baby doesn't sleep from 11:30pm to 12noon or 2pm the next day so why did the father not check on either child when he got up? A baby left alone that long will have a full nappy and an empty tummy, yet he didn't bother to check the baby or the toddler at all.

They sound like they left those children unchecked, unchanged and unfed for an awfully long time anyway while they stayed up until 3am and slept until late the following afternoon and that probably wasn't the first and only time things happened like that, the only difference being this time it had a tragic consequence.

so,so sad...

Even so...11:30pm at night with a baby and a toddler. Did it need both of them to do laundry at a relatives house when the children should be at home in bed.

Also the parents stayed up until 3am and not once did they say "did Sofia go down alright" or anything like that.

Then the father got up at noon and went to the gym and the mother didn't get up until two hours later, 2pm, and noticed the baby was missing.

But who was taking care of the toddler while they slept or went out? Surely she was up and wanting some food and a clean nappy etc by that time? :shrug:

And a 7 month old baby doesn't sleep from 11:30pm to 12noon or 2pm the next day so why did the father not check on either child when he got up? A baby left alone that long will have a full nappy and an empty tummy, yet he didn't bother to check the baby or the toddler at all.

They sound like they left those children unchecked, unchanged and unfed for an awfully long time anyway while they stayed up until 3am and slept until late the following afternoon and that probably wasn't the first and only time things happened like that, the only difference being this time it had a tragic consequence.

:growlmad: i didn't even think about the toddler!
their story is so fishy

and aparently their neighbour described them as careless.

sounds like they were drinking or something .. who the hell sleeps til 2 pm anyways?

so,so sad...

:growlmad: i didn't even think about the toddler!
their story is so fishy

and aparently their neighbour described them as careless.

sounds like they were drinking or something .. who the hell sleeps til 2 pm anyways?

Nobody with a baby or a toddler. I was awake until 1pm last night but I was also awake and ready at 7:30am this morning when LO woke up for breakfast.

Their story just screams of ongoing neglect in one form or another. Anyone with a baby and toddler in the house can't just sleep in while 12 noon or 2pm and then get up and go out to the gym without a care in the world. They'd have two hungry, screaming, soaking wet children to deal with if they tried.

i agree with the OP oh, she deserves to go prison and the death penalty!

u dont "forget" ur child for so long, that poor baby what a awful way to die

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->