Does this woman deserve jail time? *Warning:Talk of death*

from reading this, i doubt she'll go to jail

In May 2007, Haley Sheri Wesley of Angwin in Napa County forgot that her 10-month-old daughter, Maddison, was in her car, and left her there when she went to work. The girl died, and Wesley was sentenced to probation after pleading guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment.

In June 2009, Alan Carey of El Cerrito left his 4-month-old son, Everett, in his car at BART's El Cerrito del Norte Station. The father was not charged.

Prosecutors in such situations consider such factors as the background of the parent and whether major distractions were involved.

(https://articles.sfgate.com/2010-04-20/news/20856776_1_car-seat-station-wagon-light-sleeper)

Misdemeanor child endangerment? That doesn't seem right, considering an innocent child lost their life. :cry: I'm of the opinion that someone who possibly has a mental illness (severe PND, etc) should get help and not necessarily thrown in jail, depending on the circumstances...but I also don't think someone who does something that results in the death of an innocent child should get off basically scot free.
I wonder what kind of "major distractions" they consider.

did you read the three page story that went along with that?
the parents worked 2 jobs each, had a second kid, and were comming home from doing the laundry (I guess those three things would be the distractions?)

mom thought dad had the baby, dad thought mom had the baby. the mom woke up after lunch time the next day and realised baby wasn't in the crib .. called dad at the gym, he went out to the car and found the baby .. .she'd been in the car for over 14 hours.

they said they don't go in their babies room at night because shes a "light sleeper" .. and even thought the two of them stayed up untill 3 am together they never clued in that no one had infact put that baby to bed.

so,so sad...

Even so...11:30pm at night with a baby and a toddler. Did it need both of them to do laundry at a relatives house when the children should be at home in bed.

Also the parents stayed up until 3am and not once did they say "did Sofia go down alright" or anything like that.

Then the father got up at noon and went to the gym and the mother didn't get up until two hours later, 2pm, and noticed the baby was missing.

But who was taking care of the toddler while they slept or went out? Surely she was up and wanting some food and a clean nappy etc by that time? :shrug:

And a 7 month old baby doesn't sleep from 11:30pm to 12noon or 2pm the next day so why did the father not check on either child when he got up? A baby left alone that long will have a full nappy and an empty tummy, yet he didn't bother to check the baby or the toddler at all.

They sound like they left those children unchecked, unchanged and unfed for an awfully long time anyway while they stayed up until 3am and slept until late the following afternoon and that probably wasn't the first and only time things happened like that, the only difference being this time it had a tragic consequence.

:growlmad: i didn't even think about the toddler!
their story is so fishy

and aparently their neighbour described them as careless.

sounds like they were drinking or something .. who the hell sleeps til 2 pm anyways?

Nobody with a baby or a toddler. I was awake until 1pm last night but I was also awake and ready at 7:30am this morning when LO woke up for breakfast.

Their story just screams of ongoing neglect in one form or another. Anyone with a baby and toddler in the house can't just sleep in while 12 noon or 2pm and then get up and go out to the gym without a care in the world. They'd have two hungry, screaming, soaking wet children to deal with if they tried.

i completely agree. this story infuriates me.
it said some where in the article too that after this incident their toddler was placed in care. which i'd imagine is the best place for her

Unfortunatly iv read a few stories like this

I agree with Kala that its usually because of a change in routine, maybe the father usually took the baby to day care?

I once read a story about a woman who accidently left her baby in the car when she went to work, when she finished work she drove to the day care to pick the baby up and it was only when the staff informed her that the baby wasnt dropped off that morning that she remembered the baby was still in the car. The poor thing. I think it was all because the dad used to drop the baby off but he was ill so the mum did it. She obviously went into auto pilot and just didnt remember, the baby was in the back and behind her chair, so out of sight as well. Which is why its recommended that you put your baby on the passengers side in the back.

Deserve jail time? I not sure. It would depend on many many things. Sane? Pnd? A 'forced' routine change? Maybe she just had extra work to do that day so forgot about lunch?

Who knows

from reading this, i doubt she'll go to jail

In May 2007, Haley Sheri Wesley of Angwin in Napa County forgot that her 10-month-old daughter, Maddison, was in her car, and left her there when she went to work. The girl died, and Wesley was sentenced to probation after pleading guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment.

In June 2009, Alan Carey of El Cerrito left his 4-month-old son, Everett, in his car at BART's El Cerrito del Norte Station. The father was not charged.

Prosecutors in such situations consider such factors as the background of the parent and whether major distractions were involved.

(https://articles.sfgate.com/2010-04-20/news/20856776_1_car-seat-station-wagon-light-sleeper)

Misdemeanor child endangerment? That doesn't seem right, considering an innocent child lost their life. :cry: I'm of the opinion that someone who possibly has a mental illness (severe PND, etc) should get help and not necessarily thrown in jail, depending on the circumstances...but I also don't think someone who does something that results in the death of an innocent child should get off basically scot free.
I wonder what kind of "major distractions" they consider.

did you read the three page story that went along with that?
the parents worked 2 jobs each, had a second kid, and were comming home from doing the laundry (I guess those three things would be the distractions?)

mom thought dad had the baby, dad thought mom had the baby. the mom woke up after lunch time the next day and realised baby wasn't in the crib .. called dad at the gym, he went out to the car and found the baby .. .she'd been in the car for over 14 hours.

they said they don't go in their babies room at night because shes a "light sleeper" .. and even thought the two of them stayed up untill 3 am together they never clued in that no one had infact put that baby to bed.

so,so sad...

Whoops I didn't read the story...:haha:
That's terrible! It seems so unbelievable. Parts of the story seems a bit fishy though...but I guess you never know. :shrug:
So sad though.

they way i think about these things is if someone killed my son this way because of a routine change i wouldnt care id rip them apart with my bare hands.

there really is no excuse thos woman or another person could give, that poor baby still died in such a horrible way so she should be punished

Unfortunatly iv read a few stories like this

I agree with Kala that its usually because of a change in routine, maybe the father usually took the baby to day care?

I once read a story about a woman who accidently left her baby in the car when she went to work, when she finished work she drove to the day care to pick the baby up and it was only when the staff informed her that the baby wasnt dropped off that morning that she remembered the baby was still in the car. The poor thing. I think it was all because the dad used to drop the baby off but he was ill so the mum did it. She obviously went into auto pilot and just didnt remember, the baby was in the back and behind her chair, so out of sight as well. Which is why its recommended that you put your baby on the passengers side in the back.

Deserve jail time? I not sure. It would depend on many many things. Sane? Pnd? A 'forced' routine change? Maybe she just had extra work to do that day so forgot about lunch?

Who knows

I think that is the story that I was waffling on about. I didnt realise it happened more than once!

whats so shocking about a life for a life?

yes there are accidents where people are killed and then there is just down right stupidity which then someone has to pay for with their life, that to me is shocking

I'm not convinced it's an accident. How can anybody forget their baby is in the car? Okay maybe if you have a lot on your mind you forget to drop them off, but I couldn't imagine forgetting to drop him/her of at daycare, then leaving the car and not remembering at any point in the day.

I hate to think what that poor baby went through in that day :cry:

I agree, maybe if you were tired/busy you may forget to drop the baby off but would you not remember at some point during the day? Why didn't the daycare phone? Why didn't anyone hear/see the baby in the car? Seems a bit weird to me and if she did it on purpose then she needs to be jailed but i would have to hear the whole story and details i guess.

whats so shocking about a life for a life?

yes there are accidents where people are killed and then there is just down right stupidity which then someone has to pay for with their life, that to me is shocking

Cos thats not the way our society works...

That story about the couple doing laundry or whatever sounds soo fishy to me. Either they are lying, in which case, what are they hiding? Or if they are telling the truth it sounds like some serious neglect has been going on for some time!

I remember on the last thread about this (I think it was when the other story came out a while ago) there was all sorts of things to help you "remember" your baby like an alarm that went off if you left the car or locked the car or something when there was a weight in the carseat

^^ yup this story mentioned to keep a stuff toy in the car, and when you take your child out of the car seat, you put the stuff toy in the childs place. When you put the baby into the car seat, put the stuff toy in the front of the car where you can see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->