Does your 18 month old have access to water through the night?

jessmke

Reaction score
My DD had a bad cough about a week ago and would cough through the night and wake up crying and needing a drink of water, so we started putting a cup of water in her crib with her at night (a miracle cup so it doesn't spill!). She is over her cough now, but still gets her water in her crib as she does like to drink out of it through the night, and will often wake in the morning around 6:30 am, have a drink of water, and then go back to sleep for an hour or so (prior to giving her the water she would just be up at 6:30 am for the day). She has a humidifier in her room but it is very dry where we live, my OH and I each have water in our bedroom at night, so it seems a bit cruel not to allow her access to water when she obviously likes to have some, but I am worried about how this might affect her night time potty training once we get to that stage. She isn't close to potty training yet, but if we decide to take away the water I would rather do it now while it's still a relatively new thing than to take it away when she's been used to having it for a long time. Do you give your 18 month olds access to water through the night?

Both my kids have access to water and it didn't cause issues with my daughter potty training (ds is still in nappies) Dd rarely wakes for a drink, just when it's warm but my ds wakes in the morning has his cup if water and goes back to sleep. I only give him 3/4oz so doesn't cause him to have a bulging nappy. Dd had the same at his age and was potty trained in 3 days, has had only a couple of wet beds in the last year and a half so I don't see it as an issue xxx

We live in a super dry area too and I give both my boys access to water during the night. My oldest is three and it didn't cause issues with potty training. He doesn't have accidents at night and just gets up to use the potty if he needs to.
With my two year old, he's just started potty training and is in a diaper at night but I think it'd be cruel not to let him drink. It's so dry here!
Sounds like you're doing well mama!

From what you've said, I would just let her have it. As for "night time potty training," It will happen naturally. You shouldn't have to do much. Violet was using the potty day and dry all night at 2 years, 4 months and liquid intake did affect that. Once I had my 2nd baby and my milk came in, she went back into night time diapers (she still nursed). But as she got older, she learned on her own how to get up and use the toilet. Now she doesn't use diapers at night. She has been in and out of them, but with age and maturity has figured out how to avoid accidents.

Honestly, it's never even occurred to me and except for a few times when she's been sick, she's never woken up asking for a drink. Mine's 4.5 now, though still has 250ml of milk before bed so she's probably pretty topped up on fluids already. But if it's working and not leaking and making a mess, I'd keep it up. Being dry at night is a developmental thing and not caused by restricting fluids. My daughter hasn't ever been dry at night and she's been potty trained during the day for 2 years.

Both my girls have their own water bottle next to their beds. They have sports thingies (poptops?) so there is no risk of them getting water everywhere.

DD2 is just out of nappies and is a big drinker.

The key is to take her to the toilet after the drink. If she doesn't wee it's OK.

We've had a few accidents especially in the beginning and now when its really hot and she has difficulty sleeping but in general she's dry.

Yes all three of mine go to bed with a tommy tippee. They don't always drink much but I like to have a drink by my bed so it's just something I do. The older two have easy reach of theirs and the baby would need me to get it (as she would just pour it on herself). It's never bothered me in terms of night time toileting, my older two are dry at night

My DS has just started taking a cup of water to bed when he wakes in the morning he likes to drink quite a bit of it and sometimes means he goes back to sleep for a bit instead of getting up. We haven't potty trained yet but if it means it will take longer to be dry at night then the odd morning of him sleeping till 5 instead of 4 will be well worth it.

Mine never had, we had bedtime milk until 2 but while her nappy was drier in the morning when we stopped it didn't make any other difference.

We're in the uk though so usually not very warm or dry

My son has always had access to a drink in the night. Now he's toilet trained if he wakes for a drink he always has to pee before going back to sleep.

Mine do and they were both dry at night before potty training so I guess it didn't make a difference for them.

Thanks everyone, I will continue to let her have her water through the night, we are all getting to sleep at least an extra hour every morning which has been amazing!

My son has access to water through the night and has done for a long time. It never impacted on potty training.

Mine both have access to water in the night, it never affected affected my son's nighttime potty training I've never restricted fluid intake for any reason including potty training!

I think DD will be perfectly fine with access to a few oz. of water. If you find that you want to remove the water at night to see if it improves her success, I would keep lowering the quantity til it is next to nothing. Keep the rule that once its gone-no refills starting now. Dry mouths can be rough. Here's to good sleep and quick potty training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->