does your dd wear a dress everyday? and a rant.

DCS

Reaction score
I'm curious. We have just been at stay and play and dd asked to leave early because she was tired. As we got up to leave, one of the mums said " they only seem to like wearing boys clothes. " i shot a look and waked out as all 3 of the mums started giggling.
DD was wearing , black jeans, with a white tshirt, and a blue lumberjack style shirt. Hair up and had some clarks shoes on that are tan and pink ( I know they don't match but we appear to have lost her pair that would have matched). I gave her the option this morning of the out for she chose or a jumper dress and leggings and she picked what she did. I was wearing an oversized hoody, skinny jeans and boots. ( I didn't look like a scruff or anything, I had makeup on) So yes, we were not dressed " girly". But we were both comfy and warm, and we picked our own outfits.
It annoyed me quite a bit because it's not the first time we have had comments on her outfits, ( is she a girl or a boy because she was wearing a batman tshirt, and when she wore a spider girl costume everyone made a huge deal about how she was wearing a dress and kept asking her if she even liked spiderman. She loves superhero. She has no idea what they do or who they are but her brother is into them so she recognises them and makes their sounds). It's also not the first time some of the mums have made comments in a different language about me and oh, they obviously still don't realise I understand what they are saying ( one of the most annoying being, do neither of them work? They are both always here, they must both sit at home claiming benefits. Which annoyed me because oh does work. Just he is lucky in that he works 3 or 4 days a week and brings in a decent wage which means he can be at these sessions. )
DD doesn't wear skirts and dresses often, I offer her 2 outfits everyday and she picks what she wants. Saying that, she has been wearing skirts for the last 2 days.
So yes. Just curious if your dds Wear dressed everyday? And I'm sorry about the rant. I feel like my 21 month old baby is being judged already for her choice of clothes.

I don't have a girl yet but I am angru on your behalf! I'm expecting a girl at the moment and I fully expect her to wear quite a few of my son's old clothes as a baby and for as long as she's happy to. Micah's best friend at nursery is a girl and she adores Spiderman, has Spiderman t-shirts and shoes on most days. She doesn't have a brother she just chooses those clothes. My son also has a fair amount of "girls" clothes, and I've posted on this topic before. He likes cats and often cat t-shirts are from the girls section for some reason. He also has red flares that I adore on him and flowery sunglasses that he chose and loves. Ignore the silly people making comments. As adults we don't all go about wearing dresses every day, I'm sitting here typing this in jeans and a long sleeved T-shirt but I'm pretty sure I don't look like a bloke! (Massive bump might give it away though ;) )

My girls only wear dresses and skirts in the summer or for special occasions. They just aren't practical especially living in Scotland where it's cold most of the time. I love to see girls in casual clothes knowing they are comfy and feel no need to be "girly "

DD has always been a leggings and top girl and saves dresses for special occasions and when she is on holiday in the winter. In the summer its a mix of shorts and summer dresses.

We always dress for comfort even at school 2-3 times a week she is in trousers. Why would you wear a dress to soft play anyway even soft play parties we tend to wear leggings a skirt and a top as its far more practicable

What horrible people. My DD is still a baby but she wears a lot of 'boys' clothes. She looks really cute in her brothers old dungarees and hoodies. She has a fair amount of girly stuff too but no skirts and only one dress as she's still only crawling so it's not practical. She wears mostly leggings. I expect she'll wear more boys stuff as she gets older as most of her brothers stuff from this age had to be thrown out because it was all stained from weaning but he has some lovely t shirts that I've kept for her to wear, including a batman one.

That's ridiculous. Gender stereotypes really annoy me. My 3 year old has started saying 'it's a bit girly' which horrified me. I can only think he must have picked it up at nursery. Also, I recently had to replace his bib and so I bought him a pink one which he loves! My dad had to make the comment 'why on earth did you buy him that'. Grrrr...

Мost girls already wear jeans and pants and rarely dresses.

At me too it is more comfortable than skirts and dresses :) Оtherwise I like dresses.

It's them.with the problem not you!
I hate this gender stereotypes, people should just wear what the feel.comfortable in!

My son is 3.5 and he's chosen girls.clothes loads of times, he lives anything Frozen related which is mainly aimed for girls but I have no problem with him wearing them.

It's great your daughter is independently chosing her own clothes.

I also feel so angry for you that they would even dare say that to you!

I hate dresses. I hate them for myself and for my baby. It's a strong word but they're so impractical! They get caught up when I'm trying to put her in her car seat etc. People have bought them for her so occasionally I put her in them but I really prefer trousers and top. People have mistaken her for a boy lots of times. However I've bought her all new girls clothes so her clothes are for girls they're just not all pink. Those people are rude. Your daughters outfit sounds adorable!

My daughter might wear a dress for Christmas or her birthday and if we're going to a wedding. That's literally about it. They aren't practical. Whether she's at nursery or home, she's outside most of the day every day and we live in the country, so it's muddy and there's horse poop everywhere because we live along a bridlepath. If she wore a dress, she'd be covered in mud and god knows what else within about 5 seconds of going outside! :dohh: So no, she wears a dress maybe a few times a year when I know she's mostly going to be inside or we'll be somewhere nice, like an outdoor garden wedding where it won't automatically get dragged in the water and dirt. I think it's weird that anyone would comment on your LO's clothes. I would just chalk it up to people having too much time on their hands and never getting their kids outside, which is bad all around for their kids.

I find it even weirder that you were at soft play.. I can't imagine anyone trying to clamber about soft play in a dress/skirt!

My wee one is quite a bit younger but we have lots of clothes in bigger sizes already as we had to exchange loads of the young baby stuff as we got so much. Yes, she does have dresses, and yes, she does have pink, but she also has other colours and leggings and soft jeans and other types of trousers.

Right now, her pram is red and she often wears white/cream/grey and she has a few blue/green dummies, she is frequently mistaken for a boy which admittedly sometimes annoys me, but only because I'm a bit socially awkward and I hate when people ask HIS name and then they get embarrassed when I tell them her name.

Admittedly she does wear a lot of pink, mainly because it really suits her, and she wears a lot of dresses with tights as she has tiny feet and still wears newborn socks and tights despite being 5 months old, tights stay on better and no pram shoes fit her yet as her ankles are so narrow. So wearing a dress is far more practical than trousers or leggings!

I don't judge anyone for what their child wears. My sister thinks babies should be immaculate in a pretty dress every day, most of the dresses we have are the soft cotton kind!

3 girls here and no they dont wear dresses every day. Both my 5yr old and 2.5yr old have gone through phases where they would only wear a dress but they are over that now.
They do have alot of dresses, but dd2 is at nursery mon-fri so usually wears leggings and a tshirt. Dd3 does wear a dress most days, but not always. I just think she suits them and looks rather cute wearing a little dress!

My LG often wears the Jersey cheap dresses from asda/tesco because she likes pulling the skirt up and down but she leggings on underneath and often wears jeans and a jumper. She has loads of boys t-shirts because I don't like glitter or sequins much and the boys t-shirts are usually more fun. I think anyone who makes snarky comments about what a child is wearing is a tosser and clearly needs a personality reform!

Wow, what judgmental jerks. Do they have nothing better to do than sit around making rude comments about people they don't even know? Sometimes I'm amazed by people's complete disrespect for others. OP, no, there's absolutely nothing wrong with your daughter not wearing a dress 24/7. Honestly, I would think that would actually be pretty uncomfortable for a child that age at a soft play to try and maneuver around the toys in. Dress your daughter in what she's comfortable in, and what she likes. And yourself. Good grief, I rarely wear dresses. I'd hate to think what they must think of that. LOL. I like dresses; they just aren't practical for most occasions for me.

My 3 year old hardly ever wears dresses, they tend to be a special occasion type of thing. And she's really girly as well, but I just don't find dresses that practical.

They just sound like idiots. Sounds like even if you showed up in a dress every week they would find something else to bitch about.

If I had a girl (I have a boy) she would not be wearing dresses much at all.

My lg wears dresses about twice a week, on a Sunday and when MIL has her as she is quite old fashioned. It is cute though and she has casual jersey dresses for the summer not just party ones.

Other thank that it's joggers/ jeans etc... And a top as she loves outside and it's too cold for tights. I don't even put leggings on her in the winter as its too cold. I do pick her a mix of plain and e.g. Flowery joggers just for variety

I have bought her boys clothes quite often as when she was little the bottoms fit her better and just because they were cute. She has a lovely red elmo jumper. Her dad loves planes so I have bought a few 'boys' things with planes on.

I tend to avoid buying pink because personally I hate it and everyone else buys pink as gifts so she'd never wear another colour otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->