Doesn't want to sleep in cot

SuperMummy

Reaction score
My LO won't go down to sleep in his cot! He is 3 weeks old, and is good as gold during the day, really content, except when hungry, but the minute we go upstairs, he turns into a demon child.

We have the room dimmed, with only a night light on, the temperature is perfect according to our Gro Bag Egg, but nothing seems to work. He will only go down in his cot once he has fallen asleep for at least half an hour on us. He won't just go to sleep and then we put him down - that doesn't work. He has to be sleeping for ages before he'll stay asleep - and even then, it's only for usually an hour!

The last 2 nights he has slept in the bed with us - we have a massive bed, and we put him in between us in a V pillow so we can't squash him. I don't mind it, but obviously dont want to make a rod for my own back and it's not the safest thing to do I know. He seems to go to sleep no probs when he's in with us, so sometimes we just feel it's easier.

I know he's only young, but if anyone has any tips - that would be great. We have tried leaving him, but he screams and screams and screams which drives us mad also - he has the LOUDEST cry!

Thanks v. much

Hey hun, dont worry about that whole "making a rod for your own back" malarky. I have co slept with all my lo's from birth and the older 2 took to their own beds with no trouble.
We are currently sleeping with our new baby and he sleeps really well.
If you are happy doing it then carry on Xxx just remember baby has spent the last 9 months snuggled up inside you with the sound of your heart beat and breathing etc its only natural that he is most settled when with you xXx

Thanks for that. We had a much better night last night thankfully - although we are thinking of upping his feeds as he still wakes v. often!

Cheers

hi there! just though id share how i got my lo to sleep in her cot, she has been since 5 weeks. as she's used to the moses basktet/pram cot etc i found that putting her in that and putting the basket into the cot helped as she was waking up in the same place as she would if in the cot. i did that for about a week and then put her in the cot with one of my n ighties in with her so there is something familiar in there with her, took a few attempts and had to keep putting dummy in and rocking her when she was in it but shes used to it now and have no problems! xx

hi there! just though id share how i got my lo to sleep in her cot, she has been since 5 weeks. as she's used to the moses basktet/pram cot etc i found that putting her in that and putting the basket into the cot helped as she was waking up in the same place as she would if in the cot. i did that for about a week and then put her in the cot with one of my n ighties in with her so there is something familiar in there with her, took a few attempts and had to keep putting dummy in and rocking her when she was in it but shes used to it now and have no problems! xx

That's what we did also and it seems to work. We had the same problem as you for about the first 3 weeks then progressed to a travel bassinet then the travel bassinet within her cot. I also found that the sound of the hairdryer calms her down when she's screaming. I then bought a cd of white noise and have that playing and that helps her get to sleep as well. It has vacuum cleaner, fan heater and other sounds on it. So if certain sounds help calm your little one I would suggest you get the cd. x

Jasmine has been in her crib since a week old... if he will sleep in it once he is asleep I wouldn't worry. he will be able to put himself to sleep soon enough. What i've always done is give the last bottle in her room in the dark and I guess she just learnt that this is nighttime and bedtime, I can put her down awake now and she is asleep within minutes.

Lola didn't want to either.

It took about a week till she managed to fall sleep there. A sleeping bag really helped with it and I would be by her side the whole time rubbing her tummy, winding her Ocean Wonders, humming songs, stroke her hair. When it would seem that she fell asleep I would wait at least half an hour before leaving the room.

We haven't put Poppy in her cot yet, we are keeping her in our room in her moses basket as long as possible :blush: But maybe one tip you could try is to put something you have worn in the cot with him ie a T Shirt or even a breast pad as your baby will hopefully be comforted by being able to smell you. Worth a try :shrug: xx

no real advice here... except to say to not worry - he is so small and young, he just needs reassurance and to know mummy is near. I'd say to give LO as much cuddles as possible and to co-sleep where needed as it allows you all to get some good sleep. makes for happy mummy. and happy baby!

We have been having the same problem with Olivia.....she will go to sleep on us, but the minute we put her down, she is wide awake. Our mw suggested something that is (for now) working well......
When she is going off to sleep on us, we cuddle her in her blanket....so that when we put her down, she is nice & warm, has something familiar with her plus it smells of me or my OH. Olivia now will sleep about 4 hours straight, and it's getting easier to settle her after her night feed. I imagine that using a sleeping bag thing would have the same effect.

xxx

Sorry - I should have written - he won't go down in his basket, not cot, as he is only 3 weeks old and not into his cot yet.

The sleeping bag is a good choice - we dug one out (we have so much baby stuff) and it's a perfect size, so we've put him in that the last two nights and he seems much more settled. He is going 4 hours now between feeds which is much better (for the last two nights) as we have upped him to 150 ml of SMA. I am still BF, but during the night, he needs a bigger feed. I think he is just a hungry baby.

Will definitely try and put something of mine in the cot with him, that is a great idea.

Thanks all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babygiftcoll
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->