Dog behaviour help

vickytoria88

Reaction score
Hi,

A week and a half ago i was walking my dog when it was attacked by another dog. My dog was on its lead and the other dog was not. Dureing the attack i ended up getting bitten on the knee, but that enouogh about me.

My dog is a collie x mountain dog so he's a big boy, he is 8 1/2 years old and we rescued him. Dureing the attack he sustained a wound to his neck and a wound to each of his front legs.

During the attack I screamed alot and people came to see what was going on but couldn't do anything incase they got hurt.

My husband takes our dog out in the mornings for a walk and i take him out in the evening, he will not wee or poo in our garden. He is fine when he goes for a walk with my husband. When i take him for a walk he does one wee and then wants to come home all the time. So thought i would take him out in the car for a walk but still he does one wee and wants to go back to the car all the time. If i say walkies at home now he doesnt move. If we see another dog when were out he shakes like a leaf and lays on the floor.

My main reason for this posst is how do i get him to be normal when i take him out. I used to love walking him but now i get fed up because hes dragging home all the time.

Oh my goodness! I get nervous taking our lab x out because so many people around here don't leash their dogs.

Do you have any dog parks near you? I think that maybe he is afraid to go out with you is because something bad happened, you were there, and it didn't stop. That's no fault of your own, by the way, but from doggy mind that may be what he's thinking, so he doesn't feel safe.

Anyways, a dog park might be a good place, so that he can get used to other dogs again. Or, maybe have your husband come with you on night walks so that your pup feels a bit safer?

What did the owner of the other dog say? Did you report the incident?

Hi.

We don't have dog parks in the UK, they can really go where ever. I take him out in the evening so my husband can rest after work and spend some alone time with our daughter.

See i don't let my dog off its lead because he is unpedictable himself. The lady should never of had hers off the lead as it barks at everyother day, she is elderly and could never keep up with it. She was playing ball with her dog and it must have smelt my dog because we were the otherside of a mound, but i saw she had it off the lead so turned around to go another way but it came round and got us. She is one of our neighbours so has since been around and appologiseed and says she will never have it off the lead again.

I just want to be able to enjoy walking my dog again. To be honest i have lost my confidence in taking him out so only take him where i 99% know there will not be any dogs off their leads.

I guess Like with any kind of dog training you have to go slowly never punish them but reward any positive behaviour. How is he with letting you put the lead on him in the hosue? If even that is a problem then reward him for letting you even put it on.

Go back to having a pocket full of treats like cooked chicken when you have to take him out, keep walks to being really close to home and if you see another dog turn around and walk away and when ever he's walking well give him a reward.

You could buy a clicker so within a few days/week or two you can get rid of the food and use the clicker instead maybe

He needs to learn that going out with you is safe and a good thing.

He probably has PTSD. Just keep going, maybe try to find some friendly dogs for him to "meet" while you are walking him.

The other thing I have been told is that if your dog is on the lead and another attacks it you should let the lead go, the dog will be much better able to run or defend itself that way adn you are less likely to get hurt.

By the way of this dog bit you and your dog are you going to report it to the police?

I guess Like with any kind of dog training you have to go slowly never punish them but reward any positive behaviour. How is he with letting you put the lead on him in the hosue? If even that is a problem then reward him for letting you even put it on.

Go back to having a pocket full of treats like cooked chicken when you have to take him out, keep walks to being really close to home and if you see another dog turn around and walk away and when ever he's walking well give him a reward.

You could buy a clicker so within a few days/week or two you can get rid of the food and use the clicker instead maybe

He needs to learn that going out with you is safe and a good thing.
Being highly nervous it is VERY unlikely he would be the least bit interested in any kind of food. Nervous dogs will normally not take anything (even bits of steak or chicken).

Worth a try though, it seems the dog isn't intrinsically nervous as he's fine with the husband. The root of the majority of dog training is based on conditioning and the ultimate reinforcer is food.

He's clearly associating you with the nasty experience and needs to build up his trust again.

Are you able to walk him together with your hubby at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->