Doggie accidents. How can I disinfect my carpet?!?!

ds0910

Mom; 2 angel babies
Reaction score
Ok, so me an hubby have just moved into my old house that I was previously renting out and have completely redone the place from renovating a bathroom to new paint and NEW CARPET. So here is the thing, last week my DH (who doesn't like the little dogs anyway) grabbed one of them kinda rough because he was running from him and it scared a little pee out of him:growlmad: which was actually hubbys fault....anyway. Well I soaked it up and cleaned it with just a wet rag (it was just a drop and we didn't have any carpet cleaner, so then a few days later I catch my older male right after he had "remarked" the spot with 3 more spots:trouble: so I spank him and put them both in the back yard till I could get a carpet cleaner formulated for pets.

So when I get the money I go and get Natures Miracle and clean the spot as directed and everything was fine...............until about 45 mins ago. This morning me and baby got up and I put baby in the highchair for breakfast and then go let the dogs out (they are crated at night) and let them out to go potty. I always stay outside and watch them because our front yard isn't fenced, and thank God because this big dog spots them and starts charging them from about 50 yards away. So I go charging at the dog which runs him off down the street a bit. And of course during this whole thing my little dogs get scared and run behind me and then we go in. So now to 45 mins ago I go in the kitchen, then start back to the livingroom and there is POOP over the initial spot. Luckily it was firm and I could just pick it up and I have sprayed some more Natures Miracle on it and am letting it sit, but my little man walks and crawls on that carpet and I just feel I need to clean it better. Any help is appreciated, and keep in mind our finances are not where we can rent a professional cleaner or anything. Any ideas? PLEASE HELP!!

The best way be would a carpet cleaner. Does not have to be a great big one as you don't need to clean the whole carpet. They do make smaller ones, we have the Bissell Green Machine and its great for pet messes, spills, extra

A wise old dog trainer once said to me that any bleach products attracts dogs to remark somewhere, because even though we cannot always smell the urine after cleaning, it actually enhances the smell of urine for dogs.

clean with carpet cleaner (i have one for pets) and go over with washing powder/bicarb of soda to get rid of the smell. When i did this my puppy stopped going in the same place./Inside.

you need to fix the reason they are doing it.

If out of fear, this will keep happening until your dog has no reason to be scared. Not judging, but did you think it was a good idea to 'spank' your dog who pees/poops out of fear?

With a new place it could take a while for them to stop marking.

Or, did your renters have pets you didn't now about that your pets are scent marking over? My dog sometimes marked a new place we lived in.

Also, maybe you could get one of those markers for the garden that attracts dogs to pee on it.

I was always told to use washing powder and bicarb too, though I use the gel stuff not powder, so I would put a little of that on neat and then rinse it off. When our dog was a puppy she had a favourite spot on my kitchen rug to pee and that was what I used and she never did it again. I also used it for other little accidents she had when I was training her.

A wise old dog trainer once said to me that any bleach products attracts dogs to remark somewhere, because even though we cannot always smell the urine after cleaning, it actually enhances the smell of urine for dogs.

clean with carpet cleaner (i have one for pets) and go over with washing powder/bicarb of soda to get rid of the smell. When i did this my puppy stopped going in the same place./Inside.

you need to fix the reason they are doing it.

If out of fear, this will keep happening until your dog has no reason to be scared. Not judging, but did you think it was a good idea to 'spank' your dog who pees/poops out of fear?

With a new place it could take a while for them to stop marking.

Or, did your renters have pets you didn't now about that your pets are scent marking over? My dog sometimes marked a new place we lived in.

Also, maybe you could get one of those markers for the garden that attracts dogs to pee on it.

My older dog is not a timid dog and that was actually the first time he had an incident with submissive urination and he is 8 years old so yes I spank my dogs if I catch them in the act and when I caught him in the act he was marking the previous spot. And that did come off as judgmental because it felt as though you were insinuating my dog is living in fear which is not the case I assure you. I know the reason he did it, I'm looking for ways to disinfect the spot so I'm not worried about my baby walking and crawling on it. Thanks for the bleach info, I had no idea.

I have already used a carpet cleaner specialized for pet odors and is supposed to eliminate the scent ( I think the pooping on the spot might have been coincidental because it happens to be right in front of the baby gate ), I just didn't know if their might be something to better disinfect the area.

Sorry - i didn't mean your dogs were living in fear. I meant rather if they did it that time out of fear it wouldn't be positive to hit the dog in that situation, because it may only reinforce the negativity it was feeling in that instance and possible create further problems when you are trying to resolve them to keep your carpet clean.

That probably sounds the same, i can't explain it any better. i'm sorry it offended you.

I understand what you are saying but I also know my dog and the entire situation surrounding the instance where there is no way that you could. He is not a "submissive urinator", I just want to clear that part up. I know it appears that way with the way I explained the situation and that is my fault. When this happened my husband had just let him out of the crate after being crated all night so he had a full bladder, so when my husband told him to go outside he started to go to the livingroom and when my husband went to go get him he ran so my DH grabbed him up, causing him to dribble a little from being startled a bit and having a very full bladder. My other shih-tzu on the other hand is more of a timid dog and WILL submissively urinate. Like the other day, almost same situation only I was giving them their baths and it was his turn. He didn't want a bath [ of course ] so he started to run from me and I reached down and grabbed him quickly when he tried to run by and.......pee. Which he did NOT get spanked for because yes that would be counterproductive. It did however teach me that he needs to be bathed first and " surprise attacked " if you will, like call him up in my lap and then go put him in the bath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->