dogs and babies!?!?!

Holy p

Reaction score
HI All, we're expecting our 1st LO and i'm currently 23weeks.

We have a large dog called Murphy 36 kilos (72pounds) who is lovely and playful and 2 in October (just before LO is due).

My worries are that he doesn't play well with little children at the moment. But he's never really been given the chance as he's so big and his bark sounds very bad so people get scared - but he's never bitten or scratched (on purpose) anyone so i don't think he'll be a threat in that sense. but he does growl and bark and 'chase' after young children when they wave their arms and run around like small children do!

do i have reason to worry or do you think he might calm down a bit when given the opportunity to be around our baby all the time (obviously he will always be supervised). he's extremely loving and calm when around me and my OH and our parents just needs the odd mad 5 mins running around as he's big and still a young dog!

thanks for any advice :) xx

Personally I wouldn't risk it.

If he's growling it's just one step to a bite. You can't watch them 24/7 and it would be tricky to separate them all the time.

As hard as it is I'd try to find a new home maybe try some friends & then you can see your dog.

I think you must be worried to be asking so your babies needs come first..... Also your dog could get extremely jealous with lo causing more stress !

Sorry might of not been what u wanted to hear but it's just not worth the risk ( in my view ) I've owned 3 dogs myself and around babies I don't trust them and I do like dogs

Hi... Well I just want to say, I trusted my dog and he was very good around my baby but my baby went to grab one of the dogs treats that was left on the floor and he bit my baby in the face :( worst time of my life.. I was in the same room but it was too late, he already done the damage, thankfully it wasn't a major bite but he is still left with a mark on his face, it happened a month ago!

You can put your dog in a separate area of the house, as long as you can see him when you are alone and then when you have your partner there then let the dog out as it won't be as stressful on you concentrating on both of them all the time. My dog didnt take much notice of the baby until the baby was more active and definitely became more jealous of the baby as he got older.

It's good your thinking of this now, take action and get him trained... Crate training is meant to be good and it actually makes the dog feel more secure because he knows the crate is his and will go in there for some peace and quiet when he's feeling tense and tired and just wants some alone time.

Give the dog a chance, see how he goes once the baby gets here. All the best.

https://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/8snap8/CB279FA3-DB16-4007-83C1-AA4C8B7FB0FF-2695-000002EC26EAAE23.jpg

This was out family dog with my son when he was 2 weeks old. The dog was 2 at the time as well and very excitable , however most animals have instincts about babies and know how they néed to act around them. If you haven't already it woul be good to start training to dog to sit when you come in the door and when your going up and down stairs so he doesn't knock you over with baby .

Other then that I wouldn't worry :)

Please don't get rid of your dog, there's so many in shelters etc as it is, plus you never know he might be a big old softy with the baby, like PP said, they tend to know how to act around babies xx

I had a conversation with my 40-pound dog earlier today. She had her head resting on my belly, so I explained that her Baby Human was in there, and she was going to be just like me, but smaller and louder, and maybe a bit smellier, haha.

I know it won't make any difference since dogs don't talk, but you really can't know how a dog will react to a baby until it's here. A loud, rambunctious child or toddler being thrown in their direction is different than a baby that sleeps most the time and stays in one place. Some dogs don't adjust, but most do.

My cousin lives with her mom and they have 6 dogs. When my cousin brought her baby home all of the dogs were curious but none of them ever did anything and learned very quickly what's appropriate and what's not. In all honesty it's not like your throwing a screaming running toddler into the mix, they start out as baby's and the dog will grow loving of that child over time. If your dog is really weird and anxious now and snaps easily I would be worried but as far as how your dog acts around kids should not be THAT big of a deal. Because that's not your kid. That's just some screaming running small thing near your dog that they don't know what to think of. You could always try to let the dog stay at a friends house and come over to slowly introduce the dog to the baby if that makes you more comfortable.

Having been attacked in the face by my parents-in-law's dog a few years ago, I went off dogs right away. OH is desperate to have one, but I would not let a dog anywhere near a baby. Unfortunately the dog who attacked me was not PTS as i did not take things further - I was so lucky to have minimal damage, considering the visciousness of the attack. So when we visit my in-laws I get very stressed and panicky even though the dog is locked up during our visits.

If you're unsure of your dog's reaction, then don't risk it. Can he stay with someone so that he could get used to seeing the baby regularly?

Huge dilemna and I don't envy you xx

Hi, We're in a similar situation . We're expecting our first in September and have a very excitable 33kg dog whose only experience is occasionally being around a very noisy and active toddler which we've alway kept a close eye on as the toddler use to slap him on the nose and shout at him and our dog reacted by barking at her. I'm not too worried as I agree with other posters about most dogs being able to sense how to behave around a tiny baby and will be gentle. I think our dog is showing evidence of this as even now he is more gentle around me, in the past even though he's a big dog he was always trying to sit on my lap but now he just lays next to me with just his head on my lap.

My only real concern is how I'm going to manage to walk our dog whilst pushing a pram and how I'm going to stop him from stealing all of baby's soft toys as he loves his teddys!

In my opinion I would give your dog the opportunity to meet your little one and hopefully amaze you at how gentle and caring they can be. When you first bring baby home make sure you let him meet your little one and have a good sniff whilst giving your dog lots of love and attention, and praise his good behaviour.

My close friend is a dog trainer. She advised me that I must never, she made it very clear never, leave my 100 pound chocolate lab (or any dog) and baby alone - because you just never know. I LOVE my dog, my first baby who's 10 now and am convinced knows I'm pregnant and sleeps by me or with me every night.

I think your pup has some adjusting to do, either with crate or baby gate to be in another room if baby isn't in a crib etc....hopefully you'll have enough love to give all of your babies as they are our family too.

Hope it works out.

I've had numerous friends who have had aggressive (with others) dogs, hyper dogs, or just unpredictable dogs before their kids came and all of the dogs realized that this was just a new member of their family and were actually very protective of the babies and didn't try to harm them at all.

My friend's husband who is also a veterinarian, said that to get the dog used to the idea of the baby, have someone bring the hospital blanket home to the dog and give it to him before you come home with the baby. Also, to act very normal, not nervous and casual around the dog and baby and everything should go fine.

One of my friends brought in a trainer who also did basic commands with her dog (sit, stay, etc) and then played a recording of a crying baby so the dog would become normalized to it.

I think you'll be just fine though. :)

Thanks everyone, i appreciate what the people who said to rehome our dog are saying about safety however that is simply not going to be an option for us. there are things that can be put in place to ensure our dog won't harm our baby. we will NEVER leave them alone together and if he needs to be put in a different room to us then that's what we'll do.

people have dogs and babies under the same roofs all the time and they manage it. i feel a lot more relaxed now after spending this afternoon with my OHs 11 month nephew and our dog. they both pretty much ignored each other and other than that he behaved perfectly! :)

like most people have said, it will just be a case of be careful at the time and make sure he's introduced and included from the offset.

thanks again :) xx

What I would suggest is getting the dog used to feeding from your hands if you can. Our toddler has in the past taken food out of the dogs bowl while the dog was eating and grabbed and prodded him while he's eating. The dog I had when I was growing up wouldn't have stood for this, he was quite territorial over food so he was rehomed, whereas our dog (3 now) has always been used to eating out of our hands, or having things taken out of his mouth if needs be. We knew we were going to have children when we adopted our little jack Russell so he's used to these little annoyances now, he actually prefers an audience when he's eating the little oddball!

I would be extremely careful. If it were me, I would have the dog gradually become an outside dog, because baby gates are not really high enough to contain a dog if he wants into the room. Most dogs will be fine, but it only takes a second for a dog to do irreversible damage to, or even kill, a baby. I love dogs, but they are animals, and are never 100% trustworthy.

Some breeds also tend to be gentler than others; next time I get a puppy it'll be a lab or golden retriever mix, since they have much less predator instinct than, say, a German Sheppard.

That said, we had 4 big dogs (mostly retriever mixes) at my parents' house, and never any problems with the little kids wandering around petting and playing with them. Of course, they were outside, so never inside with any small babies.

We have a deerhound, he is around 36kg and is wonderful with our son. However, I knew he would be before our son was even born, he has NEVER bared his teeth or even let out a growl in his whole life. I 100% trust him with my son, I alsways have done - besides the clumsyness of a big bog, so when they were little I never left him alone just incase he sat on baby!!

My sister on the other hand had a dog (an alaskan malamute -- big dog again) who wasn't happy around children and was a growler who liked to chase, so after a few months of her son being born she decided that it was not safe to keep him, esp as LO started movng more.... she didn't just give him up though, she really looked in to who could take him, she finally found a brilliant home for him! He LO is 2 now and she now has a springerdor who is amazing with her son, if a little clumsy!

If I were you I would think very carefully about whether it is a good idea to keep your dog. Your instincts will tell you x

I would have a cage set up for when you need peace if he is not used to one now is the time to get him used to it. Get him used to eating at meal times if free fed to prevent any food issues down road. Baby gates are good-they do sell pretty tall ones. Or add a door if need be for peace of mind if a jumper.

If you have not yet done basics go through a class-or even just as a refresher go to a group class.

2 is still young and goofy. Give him a chance to run often-dog park or backyard if large enough. Mentally keep him drained-good for any dog at any point in life.

I have a 30lb pit and 50 lb mix of...something:) My pit concern is her food issue she has had since 2 months old. She eats crated and the crate will be moved into a room when baby arrives with a locked door. Both are spending some time in crate to get used to it(they normally are not crated at all but feeding time. They get a chew few times a week in crate to build up good things happen in crate.

never trust a dog with a baby/child.

my dog was v placid until dd come along he is very weary of her and im sure given the change he would bit her.
i dont give him the chance. his an old dog and just wants a peaceful life.

i decided not to put him down.]/get rid of him. he hasnt done anything wrong. just wants a lil love

it takes ALOT of awareness as to wear my dd and dog are. i think he wouldnt just bit her i think he would have to be forced into a corner.

Do you watch Ceasar the "Dog Whisperer"? He has a whole thing about how to introduce a dog to a baby.

Basically he says, respecting dogs give their owners "space" being they wont come right up to the baby and lick it or smell it. They will give it a few feet and sniff from far away...this is in the wild how they treat the "alpha". So his suggestion is to create the baby room and make an invisible line that the dog cannot cross in preparation for the baby. So he cannot come in the room but can smell from the outside. Practice this, not letting him in the room, before the baby comes and a couple weeks after the baby arrives. In addition, when the baby arrives command the dog to give the baby space, whether its in your arms or on the floor, like a couple of feet. Ceasar says practicing that for 2 weeks when the baby arrives will basically message to the dog that this baby is alpha and you are to respect it and after the 2 weeks, you can allow the dog to get closer and monitor him to make sure he is behaving well with the baby but that should lay the ground work. Also, walking the dog with the stroller in front and making sure the dog is behind the stroller with you will also tell him the baby is "leading the pack" and will help reinforce that as the weeks/months go on.

I honestly would be more concerned about an older dog then one that is only 2. Most young dogs do pretty well with some basic work to mind space, like not jumping up or plowing over people. I don't have any experience with babies and dogs as I am only pregnant now, but I work with dogs for a living so have seen all sorts. Whereas older dogs, as wonderful as they are have pains and things that hurt, so they are quicker to snap or get uncomfortable. Not to mention as dogs age their minds change, they may get more uncomfortable about certain things.

I also think breed has nothing to do with this, In all respect to what some have said. ANY breed can be prone to biting if not trained or respected as all dogs should. It is true that SOME breeds are breed for a certain purpose, but with the proper training can be just as safe. In fact Golden retrievers have a high bite rating out of many breeds like pit bulls and such because they are so common and many assume they are loving, soft mouthed, family dogs, but many can and do bite because they were never given training or the respect they deserve.

I have an older(8ish years) rescued GSD. Hes very sweet and I love him very much. But he has back pain, and sometimes gets uncomfortable with small children, doesn't like them being down on his level. But I won't rehome him, we will wait until baby is here and see how he does. He has basic obedience and although he likes to be with us he is quite used to being by himself in his room, and he will never be alone with baby at all. So although I am cautious and wondering how it will go, I am ready to do whatever it takes to keep everyone happy and safe. As long as you are careful, and you also make sure as you baby grows you teach them to be respectful and smart about dogs you should be fine, but trust your gut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->