Doing the Deed ???

I think I would wait as well. At your 6 week check they can tell you if you've healed and if it's save, which it likely will be.

I totally understand the desire to be intimate. It's a big part of my relationship with my husband for many reasons and it's hard to go without!

In terms of sex and co-sleeping/room-sharing, I think it's fine until the baby is more aware. I think I would have begun to feel uncomfortable around the 6 month mark, but it's different for every family. I think you will *know* when it's time to DTD in your own private space. Just trust your gut.

Wait until your 6 week pp appointment. Your dr needs to give u the ok. While you are bleeding u are at risk for infection.

Wait until your 6 week pp appointment. Your dr needs to give u the ok. While you are bleeding u are at risk for infection.

How are you at risk of infection? The bleeding is only the uterus lining coming away while your uterus is contracting back to normal... The actual wound is in the uterus and that wouldn't be bleeding last time I checked a penis doesn't go in there hahah...
It's only creamy brown now so I think it's finally stopping...

I ended up dtd this arvo ... We used protection anyway coz we have to... It was like I was a virgin again but we took it really really slow and after a few minutes it felt really good...
I feel totally fine...my wound isn't sore at all but dh was careful to not bump it or lean on it ...

It was really nice to be with him again!

Thanks for all your advice ladies :)

The bleeding is from the uterus lining shedding, just like a period but longer as there was much more of it, no open wounds from the placenta! Promise! (I'm a midwife). The infection risk is mainly for vaginal stitches. Whenever people feel ready is okay. X

Pretty much everything I've ever read states that the area the placenta was attached is left as an open wound. There's lining shedding too, but that doesn't mean there aren't open blood vessels where the placenta was attached :shrug:

Do you have anything I could read that says that the uterus doesn't have a wound immediately PP? I'm interested to know if what I've read is wrong!

Hiya, the bleeding is from the placental site and the other areas of the uterus but is not an open wound. When the placenta detatches the oxytocin in the body released after birth seals all the blood vessels at the placental site and so it is no longer an 'open' wound. It builds a layer very quickly to heal it over which then sloughs off over the next week or so. A uterine infection is usually caused by bits of the membranes being left in the uterus which causes infection as the body tries to reject it or from bacteria etc at c/s. Dtd should be fine :)

The bleeding is from the uterus lining shedding, just like a period but longer as there was much more of it, no open wounds from the placenta! Promise! (I'm a midwife). The infection risk is mainly for vaginal stitches. Whenever people feel ready is okay. X

Pretty much everything I've ever read states that the area the placenta was attached is left as an open wound. There's lining shedding too, but that doesn't mean there aren't open blood vessels where the placenta was attached :shrug:

Do you have anything I could read that says that the uterus doesn't have a wound immediately PP? I'm interested to know if what I've read is wrong!

Hiya, the bleeding is from the placental site and the other areas of the uterus but is not an open wound. When the placenta detatches the oxytocin in the body released after birth seals all the blood vessels at the placental site and so it is no longer an 'open' wound. It builds a layer very quickly to heal it over which then sloughs off over the next week or so. A uterine infection is usually caused by bits of the membranes being left in the uterus which causes infection as the body tries to reject it or from bacteria etc at c/s. Dtd should be fine :)

But surely that's like how your skin heals, and there's still an infection risk while the skin is damaged. I know a uterus isn't like skin, but surely the body doesn't just instantly heal? Why wouldn't you be able to use tampons immediately PP if it's basically just a prolonged period?

Genuinely interested, thanks for indulging me! :)

I would wait until bleeding stops.

I wanted to do it at 5 weeks but DH insisted we wait until 6...so it was really 7+ because we hardly get a chance.

We co sleep. We have a crib sidecarred, but he sleeps in our bed. We put him in the sidecar portion to DTD. One time he was asleep, and he woke up during :blush:. The other time he may have actually been in the bouncer. He sleeps well in the bouncer/glider combo, and the bouncer moves to the bedroom quite handy so we can keep an eye on him.

Doing a bit of googling this morning, the NHS says this:

You shouldn't use tampons until you have had your postnatal check, which usually happens six weeks after giving birth. This is because you will still have a wound at the site where the placenta joined with your uterine wall. Inserting a tampon can increase the risk of you developing an infection in this wound. Avoiding tampons will give your body a chance to heal itself.

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2511.aspx?categoryid=118&subcategoryid=121

Fair enough :)

Apologies for questioning - I'm just genuinely interested :) I think it's probably fair to say that it isn't an 'open' wound, and that there is a layer that forms quite quickly, but I suppose it'd be like a wet scab, so a bit porous and tender.

I just genuinely hadn't considered it further than bleeding=open wound before. It's been an interesting google session!

I guess even if there isn't a wound and your cervix is still open its a nice warm area for bacteria to grow...and giving birth makes a lot of changes so the vagina is still recovering from the shock. The potential is there even if healing is going well.

As for DTD my pregnancy book says the same for a vaginal birth...when you feel ready. But if there have been any issues then to wait until 6 week check.

In my area they do an 8 week check! There was no way I'd be able to wait that long. I understand your desire to be intimate again; I was desperate for my bleeding to stop, and just when it looked like it would, I got fresh bleeding from having the implant put it so I was going nuts. It stopped Saturday and OH and I DTD (5 weeks pp). Bit sore after but apart from that it went really well! We did it in the living room after LO went to bed but I think it's fine to do it when they are really small as they don't know what's happening. Once they are able to stand or sit up and then look at you...well that would be just weird and time for their own room!

Also my Dr said whenever the bleeding stops and when we feel ready.

I thought sex post c section would be fine, but it totally wasn't even though I was feeling very ready to go after six weeks. Personally, I'd wait and give your body a chance to get more settled. At the very least, if you do go ahead, go slow, use lots of lube and don't be too disappointed if you have to stop.

As for sex with baby in the room, I've done it. No big deal.

As per page 3 I did dtd over a week ago...

Everything is still fine!!!!

Other than still being ridiculously tight down there everything is totally normal and my bleeding has nearly stopped :)

Thanks again for all the advice ladies

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"