Donating or Storing Cord Blood

mwel8819

Reaction score
Have you read up on it and what is your opinion and why?

I haven't read up on it recently, but with dd I wanted her to get all the blood because I've read it is really good for them and reduces the risk of anemia. So I let it all flow to her before cutting the cord.

I didn't even know this was a thing! Thanks for posing the question. I have no clue what I'll do. I have to do some research about the subject. I didn't even know this existed.

I just found out about it this morning and I have no idea what to do. I mean if the stem cells can save a life then who am I to take that away but then again if it can save my child's life one day then it would be worth it. BTW it's $2000 up front and $125/year to store it. Changes things, doesn't it?

I need to look into it again, but I remember reading that there were only a few things that you could use it for regarding you LO, and chances were slim that you would actually use it. I'm going to research it again as its been a few years!

Is this something that is specific to the usa because I am in the uk and have never heard of it!

Not specific to the USA as you can do it in South Africa. I def want to do it with this pregnancy.

Can deffo donate cord blood in the UK, did it with my LO x

Donating is a really good thing to do, but many hospitals don't as it costs too much, and as a pp has said, I'd prefer my baby gets all the bloody they need. That's why I delayed cord clamping with my youngest

We donated my son's cord blood and will be donating my daughter's as well. I know you can reduce the risk of jaundice in your baby by letting the cord stop pulsating, but the way I thought of it when he was born, and still do, is that my child will restock their blood volume in the few days after birth and if his/her stem cells can be used to save lives then surely the choice is clear (to me at least). My son was never jaundiced and was very healthy when he was born; he never lost weight, just gained from the moment he started feeding (all the time!). Perhaps if he'd been unhealthy and had suffered severe jaundice then I might have a different opinion.

Undecided. For the very few instances that a child could be their own donor of stem cells, they can harvest the stem cells if/when they need them. Most situations, however, that involve stem cell transplants are cancers that you can't be your own donor anyway. I go back and forth and haven't decided what to do yet. Leaning towards donation because like I said, if you can be your own donor, its because its a cancer that is a solid tumor and there is nothing wrong with your stem cells (unlike leukemia) and they can harvest the stem cells when they need them. There are many children whose family members aren't a match for them, and if by some chance our cord blood was a match for someone, I'd rather they have a chance at life then preparing for something that most likely will never happen.

Great question! Thanks for bringing it up. Being a pediatric nurse, I thought I was the only one thinking about this.

I researched it during pregnancy, but didn't donate or pay to store it.

Great question! Thanks for bringing it up. Being a pediatric nurse, I thought I was the only one thinking about this.

Not sure where you're located, but my doctor's office gives out pamphlets about it, iirc.

We are considering it after reading about new studies where it is showing effectiveness in treating autism and diabetes. My doctor said when his son was born (now in college) he didn't do it due to cost (twice as much as it is now) as well as limited uses and only speculation on future uses. During his career he has seen the number of proven treatable diseases jump to 70 and feels strongly that the new studies and technology being used will allow for stem cells to treat double the amount of conditions in 10 years.

The one thing that caught my attention was the ability to also treat any siblings for the same diseases. He said any siblings (shared mother 100% shared father 50%) can use the stem cells and even I could if I got breast cancer or one of the other diseases listed. He said some families save cord blood for all there kids to have a safeguard for the family "just in case". It has me thinking about it for sure..

Pandi do you have a link of possible things it can treat? I think maybe the stuff I was reading is out of date now as I read it only helps with a few things (like certain cancers) but if the child has those types of cancer he really can't use his saved cord blood because it is tainted. It sounds like maybe they are coming up with more things that they can use it for now?

Here are some articles I remember reading when I was pregnant last time. They're news articles (BBC is usually quite reliable though), not scientific studies, so take with a pinch of salt, but this is what convinced me to donate.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/5075248.stm

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6044106.stm

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8485106.stm

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8556359.stm

I also remember one about many private companies not following correct procedures and the blood getting contaminated and therefore being rendered useless. I don't know if it's the last article or if it's another one I can't find...

And another I found just now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-26150300

Pandi do you have a link of possible things it can treat? I think maybe the stuff I was reading is out of date now as I read it only helps with a few things (like certain cancers) but if the child has those types of cancer he really can't use his saved cord blood because it is tainted. It sounds like maybe they are coming up with more things that they can use it for now?

Hey hun most of this information was provided to me verbally by my reproductive endocrinologist as he's been doing a lot of research and going to a lot of seminars lately since the subject had become frontline for him at his job. :wacko: I felt confident in his feelings on it because he admitted to regretting not doing it for his kids because of the same concerns I have had about the process (storage procedures, chances of actual usage, etc). I will ask him next time I see him if he has any literature or sources as I'd like to feel 100% confident in what decision dh and I make as well :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->