Don't feel like a 'real' adult

I don't feel like a grown up either, I'm 28, married, own a house and have a 3 year old and a baby on the way. I graduated 6 years ago and have worked ever since.

However, my lovely parents help me a lot and as much as I appreciate it I think that makes me feel like a child sometimes. I've had hyperemesis this pregnancy and they've kept my house running and taken my son out several times a week. But even on a normal day when my mum visits she will do the dishes, vacuum my floors etc! I'll tell her she doesn't need to, but she'll pop into the kitchen to put the kettle on and I'll walk in 5 mins later to see my cooker is sparkling!:haha:

I cannot complain though, I really appreciate if, and to be fair that's just who she is, she's very kind. She is the same at her sister's house!

I said this to my mum recently, her reply was pretty much 'me neither love, and i'm 55' so i've just stopped expecting to feel like a grown up!

Oh goodness no! I am 29, have a toddler, mortgage, two cars, a good job and I still phone my mum for pretty much everything that requires advice!

I also go to my mums and wait to be fed and watered, I guess we will do the same for ours when they get to that age...maybe! :haha:

My mum will text me, its cold outside make sure you put gloves on LO. Things like that make me feel like a child! I know she doesn't mean to she is just being a mum and grandma.

I have never hosted Christmas either. The thought terrifies me.

I just remembered.. When I was pregnant with ds2 oh went away for the weekend for a stag do so it was just me and ds1 for a long weekend. Sat morning wake up went to do some washing up and no hot water, the boiler had gone! Well for 1 I call my dad, who had a quick look to see if he could get the pilot light on. Called the letting agents who said someone can come tomorrow. So my dad tells me I'm staying the night. They still live in the same house I grew up in. Ds1 slept in the spare room and my step sister slept downstairs so I had her bed. In my old room. It felt so weird as the bed was even in the same place I had mine. I felt 14 again texting boys (my oh lol!) in bed late at night.

Phew I'm glad I'm not the not one!
I mean I can function as an adult, pay my bills, get the kids to play group etc etc I just kind of feel like I'm playing house sometimes

I thought it was just my mum who come round and cleans for me and txts me to remind me to wrap up because it's cold out. It realy annoys me sometimes but I do try to remember she is just being a mum. I love that woman. She gave me a hug today because I was realy upset, and I felt like a child. It was lovely, hugging my mum, not being upset. Made me feel so much better.

Well, ladies I don't know when of if it ever happens. I'm 48 with a 2 year old. I've already paid off my house. I've got 2 college degrees (mid life change of career) I have a couple friends with grand kids already. And I don't feel adult most of the time LOL I'm actually surprised when I look in the mirror....how did I get to be so old?? hehe I certainly don't feel it! My mom is still my go to person for advice, and I called my dad last week because my washer was leaking. So, idk. But seems to me, from this thread at least, that it's somewhat normal, or maybe just not as uncommon as I thought.

I have 11yr old at secondary,9yr old and 2 year old and nope don't feel like an adult at all. Doesnt help I still climb trees and skip!

I'm not sure if I feel like an adult but I do feel old(er) some times.
I'm 23, have a mortgage, I've worked full time since I left school, moved out of home quite young, I have two kids who are 5 and 4 whilst half my friends only worry is what to have for breakfast :lol: I mean, I still like to go out with my friends etc and do all that but I have so many more responsibilities than most of them that it makes me feel old before my time!

I don't feel like an adult either. I'm 28, I've been married for two years, together total for 7, have one baby a second due in January. We just bought a house, and a bigger car, but nothing.

It doesn't bother me so much that I don't feel like an adult, it bothers me that I feel others don't treat me like an adult, which I feel so very often from family, especially dhs family!

I'll feel like an adult when I can open the post without it looking like a dogs savaged it and can cut cheese without tiny pieces being the result and almost breaking my knuckles... :haha:

I'm 33 in a couple of days and don't feel like an adult yet!

Im 23.

In some ways I feel ancient. In a lot of ways I act and have a completely different lifestyle from my peers- but in some ways I find things that a normal 23 year old would find totally normal completely overwhelming.

And I feel for the poster who is the youngest in her work place by 20 years. I have the same but by 30 years and im treated like a child. It drives me potty sometimes.

Haha, this thread explains why I often feel I'm the only adult in the room. :rofl:

I think my son is like me; he's three and just about seems responsible enough for a mortgage.

I think I felt like a real adult when I moved out, my mum comes for dinner at mine, I do all the housework, shopping etc.

I don't have kids, but I graduated last year and have been in full time work for 8 years. I have built my career from the bottom, am where I wanted to be salary wise, saving for a house/mortgage and planning to start trying for babies next year.

And tbh I am loving every minute of it.

xx

We have lived in 3 properties and had to do the buying,selling etc. No help from parents in that respect. I don't really phone my mum at all, mainly because she STILL refuses to get a mobile and his never in to answer her house phone.
Iv had several different 'adult' jobs but at the minute I'm doing a part time job full of teenagers.
Feeling a little tiny bit more adult today when iv had to send away Xmas cards and buy postage stamps haha. First time iv had to buy stamps!!!

Oh gosh! I've still not moved out and I'm 30! Just bought a car and plan to move out early next year into private rent. I'm a single mum working part time so my mum and dad help a bit with child care. I do all my own washing and cleaning and have done for ages, I have a pretty huge savings so that's a benefit of staying home til now. I am so ready to 'grow up' and have my own house now though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->