Dont know what to do for the best :(

Laucu

Reaction score
Urgh, where do I start?

To summarise, I hate hate HATE my full time job and want to go part time. My flexible working request was rejected so I have been looking for a part time job for MONTHS.

My job is awful, the workload is hideously unrealistic. I was open and honest with them, told them that I miss Emma like mad and don't know how much longer I can work full time...they have told me that they can see I am struggling and HR will take it down the disciplinary route if I can't meet my role requirements. Nice. Oh and a few weeks ago, a customer apparently complained about me so I am now under investigation.

I am now at the stage where I am crying every day before I leave for work. I desperately want to quit, but am pretty sure I can't get JSA if I do. We can't afford to survive on 1 income because we are in debt...if I quit we could afford to live but wouldn't be able to pay our loan off.

What to do for the best? Be miserable and exhausted from work? Or risk defaulting on the loan and quit?

Not sure if anyone has any useful advice....I think I know the answer to it all really - it is my fault I am in debt and I just have to soldier on until I find a part time job...otherwise I am going to make life harder in the long run.

Sorry for the rant.

Hiya. I'm sorry that you hate going to work. I know the feeling and I've only got just under 3 months maternity leave left and then I'm back to my hellish job. The dread has already set in and its going to ruin my time left....the only redeeming thing is that I have got 33 days holiday to take within 6 months. Anyway, you're right that if you quit your job you wont be able to get JSA...i think that is for a period of 6 months after and then you can apply and the same applies if you get sacked. In my past I have been on the dole at points and only sometimes do they ask why are you unemployed and only once did they contact my last employment to see if I left. You could always go to the job centre and speak to someone and tell them that your current job has made things totally impractical for you and that you are searching for another job. They might be able to offer suggestions that help.
I firmly believed that if you were not happy then walk away but I have become used to having a wage each month that I will put up with sexism, ageism...all bloody isms until I find another job that pays as good.
Trust your instincts always...things always work out.

It says on the citizens advice website that:
If you're responsible for a child under 16, you may be able to restrict your availability for work. You may be able to restrict your availability so that you're only available to work 16 hours a week. If your child is under 13, you may also be able to restrict your availability so that you're only available to work during your child's normal school hours.

You may be able to do this even though you aren't available for work because of your childcare responsibilities. But you'll need to show that it's not reasonable for you to make other childcare arrangements. For example, this might be because there's no suitable childcare available in your area, or because it's too expensive.
https://www.adviceguide.org.uk/inde...#available_for_work_and_actively_seeking_work

So i suppose you may be able to say that as your flexible working request was refused that means you would need to pay for full time childcare. If you can try and prove that the childcare would be too costly and you can't afford it even if you did work then you may get away with being able to claim jobseekers straight away?

I'd go and see citizens advice and see what they say :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies :flower:

I will give the CAB a call and see what they say.

I'm going to try to hang in there as long as possible....and continue my search for a part time job. If push comes to shove I will just have to quit and try for JSA on the grounds that I can only work part time and not full time.

Don't get me wrong, I want to work, just not full time! I got made redundant from my last job when I was pregnant, and it was never the plan to go back full time. Unfortunately I ended up taking a FT role as there was nothing PT about.

Anyway thanks again,

I know it's difficult - but I was bullied when PG with my LO and I vowed at that point that if a job made me cry again I would hand my notice in that day. Life is too short and too hard to put yourself through that everyday. I've coem close in my present job (call centre) but I've managed to stick with it for 8 months now.

Could you not contact some agencies and see if you can find an alternative job that way? I work 4 days a week. it started out as a FT position but as I'm an agency worker I asked if I could cut hours. I'd already been through training and done 3 months hard graft, so they said yes.

I would give the CAB a call and see what they say about your rights, and speak to them about your debts too as you may be able to plead circumstances and ask for a couple of months payment holiday to give youself some breathing space. :shrug:

Good luck hun. :hugs:

If you quit, would you still be able to make at least the minimum payment on your debt until you are able to find something part time that you would be happy with? If you can work your budget to do that, then I would quit. Being unhappy at work is only going to carry over to being unhappy at home. Take a good hard look at your budget and see if there is any way to work it with just one income for a bit. Good luck, I know this must be hard. :hug:

If you quit, would you still be able to make at least the minimum payment on your debt until you are able to find something part time that you would be happy with? If you can work your budget to do that, then I would quit. Being unhappy at work is only going to carry over to being unhappy at home. Take a good hard look at your budget and see if there is any way to work it with just one income for a bit. Good luck, I know this must be hard. :hug:

Sadly not...our budget is extremely tight as it is. My husband went PT when I started working FT, and would go back to FT if I quit and whilst it would be enough to live off, it wouldn't be enough to pay off our mammoth debt.

I know, it is my own fault!!!!

I know it's difficult - but I was bullied when PG with my LO and I vowed at that point that if a job made me cry again I would hand my notice in that day. Life is too short and too hard to put yourself through that everyday. I've coem close in my present job (call centre) but I've managed to stick with it for 8 months now.

Could you not contact some agencies and see if you can find an alternative job that way? I work 4 days a week. it started out as a FT position but as I'm an agency worker I asked if I could cut hours. I'd already been through training and done 3 months hard graft, so they said yes.

I would give the CAB a call and see what they say about your rights, and speak to them about your debts too as you may be able to plead circumstances and ask for a couple of months payment holiday to give youself some breathing space. :shrug:

I'm sorry to hear you went through something similar. You're right, life is too short....I just keep thinking that I am going to be effing stuff up even more if I quit because I really do want to pay those debts off so I can forget about them. I don't want to default or drag them out longer than necessary.

Sigh. I would probably have come to terms with working FT by now if the job wasn't so horrendous. But 9 months of crying everyday... it's become more than I can take.

I'm sorry to hear you went through something similar. You're right, life is too short....I just keep thinking that I am going to be effing stuff up even more if I quit because I really do want to pay those debts off so I can forget about them. I don't want to default or drag them out longer than necessary.

Sigh. I would probably have come to terms with working FT by now if the job wasn't so horrendous. But 9 months of crying everyday... it's become more than I can take.

You have to do what's right for you hun. Yes, ok you may 'eff things up' but sticking with a job you hate is only going to eff up everything else. The bank manager isn't going to lose any sleep over 1 missed payment, but if you're suffering then you will be losing sleep.

I know it's easier said than done, trust me I really do as it took me a lot to stand up to my boss about the treatment. What does your OH say about it? Would he support your decision if it all got too much?

Seriously hun, just put your CV out to all and sundry, see what comes back, take a couple of days holiday if you have to, and put yourself back at the top of the priority list. I'm not saying go in tomorrow and tell your boss to take a running jump, I'm saying to give yourself a bit of slack. I really hope things get better for you hun. My blood boils when I hear of people being bullied or mistreated in the workplace, and being told 'I know your struggling so we're going to start investigation' is just that. It happens and it's the most soul destroying thing. :hugs: hun, you deserve so much better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->