doppler

kosh

proud new mum!
Reaction score
hi ladies :hi: first post in this section
i was wondering if i could have your opinion. i know lots of people in the mainstream forum:winkwink: use fetal dopplers, but what are your views on this? i'm not against routine (12w, 20w) scans, etc

thanks!

Hi. I don't know of any studies that have been done on the doppler, in honesty. Though (from an engineering perspective) it must have some effects. :shrug:

My knowledge base isn't great on this subject :blush:, but it appears to be a firm favourite here when compared to constant monitoring of baby. Though the good old fashioned ways (ear trumpet and stethascope) where possible have got to be a better idea - no sonar transmission to baby that way.

Some babies react very differently to the effects of a dopler with the sound up. They experience a type of echo feedback to hearing their own heart beat played back to them. Often babies movements will increase in response causing accelerations in FHR- they are more used to hearing your relatively slow HR and intestinal sounds being the loudest sound. Not their fast 150-160bmp played loudly back to them. So you might not get the reassurance wanted from the dopler.

Also the Dopler uses Ultra-sound, and ultra-sound hasn't been proven to be safe or unsafe for use on pregnant women and their babies - there hasn't been enough time since it's routine introduction for any long term studies.. and as the demand for the technology to be advanced, so the frequencies and amplification of the ultrasound have increased, as more clarty in the products have been requested... so we are now using US which are much more powerful than even 10years ago. You have to decide how you feel about that.

SO I would question what benefits, advantages or re-assurances you are going to get to listening into baby "on-tap"? Or would it just make you more anxious?

I personally think that it can offer a women little benefit.. and I also think it is a little out there that so many women on the main forum seem to be ok with using these almost everyday? It would only worry me more - and I have plenty of assurance that baby is fine with my continued growth and fetal movements.

I do know where you are coming from though! I have just got a home birth kit delivered from my MW and in it is a dopler, so I could listen in allot if I wanted, but I think for me it would be more damaging than good... so I'm resisting temptation.

I'm strongly against continuous monitoring in labour, (CTGs), as the only effect this has been proven to have is to increase c-section rates, without effecting outcomes for mother or baby. So intermittent monitoring is enough for me! ;-)

What do you think about it all?
XxX

I do not agree with doppler for home use. And women who don't know what they are looking for or what warning signs are shouldn't be using them. They are untrained and that can cause a problem.

Dopper radar is very loud. My DH is a Pilot and uses it and does not agree with it being used on pregnant women. It is not proven to be safe or unsafe, same as ultrasound. The only time I will allow doppler is if the MW cannot pick up HB with fetoscope or there is an emergency and doppler may confirm it.

I also only get a u/s once. There is no reason for a 12 week and a 20 week. I just do the 20 week. And I use only fetoscopes for heartbeat. There is no risk to that and it's the actual beat and not the echo from it.

how early can they use a fetoscope instead of a doppler?

many thanks for your very informed replies! :flower:
i think i'll give it a miss. it'd be nice to hear the heartbeat, but i deff do not want to cause any stress on the baby. my DH is convinced our LO does not like scans, as s/he started to move his/her arms during the procedure.
plus i'm one of those persons who worry all the time at the time, so prob not good for me either.
i was not aware of fetoscopes, can you actually use them yourself?

many thanks again!

Ask your MW to use her pinard :) they should be able to do either. Our consultant MW only ever uses pinard and lots of inde mws do too. :)

how early can they use a fetoscope instead of a doppler?

Usually around 20 weeks with a fetoscope (doppler is around 10 weeks, but doesn't always pick up until closer to 15 weeks). But it can be different for everyone. I was able to hear a good fetal heartbeat at around 16-18 weeks.

From 14 weeks til I could feel regular movements I used a home doppler with earphones for reassurance after having 4 m/cs. If I had not experienced these losses I would not have considered using one, however the benefit of reassuring me and reducing my stress levels outweighed the risk. I minimised the use, limiting it to 2/3 times per week and only for a few moments at a time.
I experienced the effect of baby hearing it's own hb recently after reduced fetal movement the mw turned the volume up on the CTG and instantly baby started moving lots!!

:hi: , coming in from the mainstream forum ahmmm! Fifi, this is exactly where I am with Dopplers. I have recently suffered 2 losses, so to have the reassurance once a week, where I can listen in has been wonderful. Once I feel more movement then I am sure I won't feel the need to use the Doppler at all. I am not a medical professional so would not use this over the advice from my OB.

i personally have nothing against them in terms to worry about any effects... i happily had 3 uss during my pregnancy and doppler at each MW appointment.

My reason for not getting one was unneccssary worry when/if you can't find the heartbeat. a few times at my MW appointment it took her a while to find it or i'd hear a beat and not know it my my heart. i felt for me i'd be using in constantly and if i couldn't find his HB would have paniced

I posted on a thread over in second tri about this and there is a really interesting post from a lady who's an engineer too. I'm amazed it didn't turn into all-out war, I was a bit worried it might, as sooo many ladies seem to think they are fine and are using them for fun, so am glad so far that nobody's gotten too humpty about what I said. I would really like to see more ladies thinking very carefully about their use before going onto ebay and buying the damn things. I know for one it would make me paraniod and obsessed pretty quickly and the temptation would probably be hard to resist, to use it all the time, especially if I'd "been told it could do no harm".

Here's the link: https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-second-trimester/657267-often-can-use-my-doppler.html

I have a doppler (though its only a cheap angelsounds one so im not sure if its actually a proper doppler iykwim) and use it occasionally from 10 weeks...maybe once a month and ive not used it for at least 2 months.

I dont see a problem with them when used responsibility and sensible, when i read about people using them every day i think there is a problem there as its just not necessary.

Also when i read threads about reduced movements and they say "but its ok iv listened on my doppler" i do just want to be able too shake them and shout that means nothing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->