Dopplers...Impossible to hear baby's heartbeat at 16 weeks????

wanababy

Me, OH & bubs No.1
Reaction score
I've just come back from my 16 week appointment (in such a bad mood!) with a stand in Midwife (mines on holiday), I asked if we could listen to little ones heartbeat and she said you won't be able to hear it as the baby is still behind the pelvic bone, I told her that some people can hear the heartbeat from 9 weeks and she laughed!!! She said the dopplers are a falicy and I'll have to wait until my 25 week app to listen to it.....

I have bought a doppler and have been using it for about 3 weeks, thinking we were listenening to LO as the heartbeat was really fast. I feel such a total fool as my family and friends have heard it! The midwife said it was probably my own heartbeat I was hearing. God - how embarrassing....

Has anyone else used a doppler and is the midwife right??

I'd appreciate any comments or opinions, thanks.....

:hugs:

Liz
x

That's rubbish, duno what she's going on about but its not true, ur not a fool course its lil bub its sooooo fast and i listen to babys and watch my heartbeat going up and down and it cudnt be anymore different, i'm so sorry u had this terrible woman i can't believe she laughed at u she shud be sacked! Don't let her get u down that IS ur bubba *Hugs* xxxxxxxxxx

Mine was crystal clear at 16 weeks. Some of the really good (but expensive ones) you can hear from 12-13 weeks. She's talking crap basically.

You do, however have to be careful that it's not your own heart beat you're hearing, but the two are very different. LO's should be twice as fast as yours.

i heard and recorded my babys heart from 10 weeks! i think your midwifes talking poop, when i first heard my babys heart beat and it was 170+ bmp if it were my own heart beat id imagine id be slightly poorly.

dont let her upset you

Thanks girls. Mine is a Hi Bebe one, they're about £65 new but I paid £40 off ebay, I think I'll try it again but get OH to feel my pulse at the same time!!

:hug:

Liz
x

Don't listen to her hun, I had a bleed at 14 weeks and the midwife checked my baby's heartbeat then with a doppler to check he was ok, it probably is your baby's heartbeat you are hearing with your doppler, don't let her make you feel daft xx :hugs:

iv heard mine since 12 weeks... its bollocks babe. There is no mistaking the heartbeat babe, you definately heard it. Ignore her, shes obviously new! LOL
xxxx

My midwife listened to mine at 15 weeks... so I have no idea what your midwife was doing?

what a crock of poo poo, i hate it when midwives say patronising remarks like that.
bet she's never been pregnant,
my mw heard my lo's hb at my 16 week appt, and i heard it with my own doppler around 12 weeks.
you get three beats the placenta, which is a kind of woo woo woo like a lazer gun lol then your own which is alot slower than babies.
then babies which is a fast thumping noise.

mention it too your mw next time say she wouldnt try to even listen to it.

she's just prb useless at finding heartbeats thats all, incompetant woman lol

Just got back from my midwife - heard Bubba's heartbeat @ 150bpm. Definately not mine!! My midwife even put it on my notes! Try not to let it stress you hun, the stand-in sounds like a meanie! Hope you're usual one is nicer... xx :hugs:

U can pick it up that early with the hi bebe so ur probably right. They say a babies hb sounds either like a horse or a train, it's a really fats beating. If u look on youtube theres a few videos that people have uploaded that might help u recognise the difference in sound. Personally i think that mw was jus bein a bit of a cow tbh!

You should make a complaint, or tell ur midwife as soon as possible cos she could be making alot of women feel like u did for no reason. She needs correcting. xxxx

My doc's been checking the heart beat since 12 weeks. Just count the beats (it should sound like a fast train or horse galloping) and if you count the beats for a minute there should be approx 140 - 170 beats per min (so well over double what your heart is doing)

Your midwife could learn a thing or two!

I dont even have a midwife thats how crap they are here! so i havnt heard mine yet but its there and kicking.
I was going to buy one off ebay then I thoght it would make me paranoid if i couldnt hear anything as this one was suppose to pick up from 12 weeks on and then i see you cant hear till 28 weeks on? so I decieded i wouldnt go near one or waste my money and have panic attacks if i got one.

I had a hi bebe one and heard it from 11 weeks. It was really low down and had to angle toward the pelvic bone but I can assure you it was baby and not mine as I listened to both heartbeats!

What a load of twaddle!

I dont even have a midwife thats how crap they are here! so i havnt heard mine yet but its there and kicking.
I was going to buy one off ebay then I thoght it would make me paranoid if i couldnt hear anything as this one was suppose to pick up from 12 weeks on and then i see you cant hear till 28 weeks on? so I decieded i wouldnt go near one or waste my money and have panic attacks if i got one.

I thought I'd go a bit nuts with a doppler, but tbh, I have to remind myself to use it as I'm only renting it for 2 months and I want to get my money's worth out of it. You won't go crazy with it, honestly!

You're right - i love my doppler too, and amazingly for me, it hasn't had me panicking or worrying, even on the odd occasions i can't hear anything. I just like to touch base with Peanut every couple of days, especially as i'm not at the kicking stage!

heard peanuts heart beat last week at 15 weeks 1 day at the midwife appt. And she said I could come in if i needed to hear it again. So the stand in is years out of date!

My last pregnancy they started listening to his heartbeat at 10 weeks.. so she's crazy and needs to be laughed at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->