• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Double Pushchair!! Tandem or Side by Side??

terri21

Mother of 2
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a double pushchair for my baby and my niece as my sister will be childminding when i go back to work, they will be 8 months 14 months.

I am unsure whether to go for a tandem or side by side and when i do decide which type i havent got a clue which is the best ones to go for lol!

It has to have 1 seat suitable from birth also as i intend to use it for my baby and when i have another baby xx

oh and it also has to be good for use on buses :-/ xx

For buses I'd definitely say tandem!! I had trouble enough trying to get a single on the bus and hate seeing people struggling with doubles.

i agree with above post, can recomend phil&teds, it's been a lifesaver for me as we walk lots and molly can just hop in when she's tired whilst charlies all cosy and snug underneath! side by sides are a nightmare becuase you can't get through doors!! good luck choosing x

My choice would be governed by how it folds down and can I get it in the car or on public transport?

We just bought a side by side buggy. Really nice but only just fits in our boot - and the dog has to stay at home!

Stu

MACLAREN TWIN TRIUMPH FOR SALE EXCELLENT CONDITION BUT HAS A SLIGHT RIP ON HANDLE £50

•Compact umbrella fold.
•5-second one hand fold.
•5-point harness for added security.
•Removable, washable seat.
•Height adjustable shoulder harness.
•Lockable front swivel wheels.
•Foot operated linked braking system.
•Water resistant hood.
•High-performance aluminium frame.
•Handy mesh shopping basket.
•Carry strap or handle for easy portability.
•Fits through standard doorway.
•Includes Raincover.

Hood

•Two independent square hoods.
•UV protective viewing windows.
•Argyle pattern on back of hood.

Maclaren Twin Triumph Specifications:

•Suitable from birth.
•Multiple seat positions with adjustable straps.
•Reflective accents.
•Carrying capacity: Up to 30 kgs.
•10.6 kgs/23.4 lbs. (without hood, basket or raincover)
•Wheel size: 14.4 cm/4.5 in.
ling a maclaren twin triumph in red for £50 im in washington x

I'm also looking for a double. I eliminated side by side instantly for tge reasons above buses doors small shops and getting it in the house, I also feel my daughter who will be 20 months when blueberry arrives will just want to play with her new 'toy' my friend has the Icandy peach its compact easy for buses shops doors lightweight looks nice this is all her words as I can't find a shop that has the double on display she also mentioned that you can change from double to single with a few clicks. So far its the only one that sounds right for me hopefully when I see it up close it will have the same effect xxxxxxxxxxx

the tricky decision of side by side vs tandem... You need to consider where you will be using it. If you live in a small village it's possible the shops wont have nice wide entrances and aisles which could make a double a bit of a 'mare.

Tandems tend to be longer though. One of the previous members mentioned public transport, if you use buses and trains etc you'll need to look carefully at how easy to fold it is and how compact it is. The zoom tandem for example is great, but for public transport it's not ideal bacause to fold it you need to detach the seats! If you drive most places this obviously isn't an issue.

Options worth considering Jane Powertwin, Maclaren Twin Techno, Baby Jogger City Mini, Cosatto do some funky doubles too. And as someone else mentioned the ever popular Phil and Teds

I have a Babyjogger City mini twin pushchair. It does fit through most doors as it isn't much wider than a wheelchair however there are some shops (usually older ones) that have narrow doors and sometimes the aisles in shops are too tight for me to get down.
I paid just over £300 for the pushchair which is quite a good price for a double. I can steer the pram with just one hand, it is so easy and light to manouvre. Getting up and down kerbs is easy too. It is not as light as the manufacturers make out when you have to pick it up, in and out of the car but not that heavy considering it's a double (and it's lighter than the single loola pushchair I recently bought!)
The best thing about the pushchair is the folding down mechanism. I take the kids out and just pull the straps on the seats and it's folded. It's soooo easy. Putting up is pretty easy too. Shopping basket isn't that easy to get to from the back but is ok from the side although you can't fit bigger things in but lots of room for lots of little things. There are also two shopping bag nets on the back of the seats.
The seats lie back completely or sit up quite straight and it's easy to change - just slide the strap at the back. Seats are independent of each other so one can lie back and one be sat up. Great for bigger kids as the seats fit my chunky 2 year old easily with plenty of growing space.
The hoods on the seats are great. They cover in 3 or 4 stages so you can have a little shade or a lot. The hoods are so big you can actually get away without having a raincover as they cover the kids fully. There are view panels so you can see the children any time even when the hoods are up fully.
Pushchair folds in half from top (hood) to bottom (footrest) so still quite bulky but you don't have to take anything apart to fold it down.
So good points and bad points for the Babyjogger for you to consider.

I went to Kiddicare and tried out various ones. I definately prefered a tandem, i found a nice lightweight one thats easy to steer by Babyweavers. I personally, hated side by side.
x

i'm different, i'd say side by side is easier..
and also i don't like the thought of one child looking at the back of the others head etc...

tbh, most places seem to have disabled access now, and as for buses.. i've not had any major difficult getting my side by side on..

sounds silly but we went to the shops with a tape measure and the measurements of an average wheelchair and most of the doubles are about the same size..!!

I'm quite a small person though, and i find tandems more difficult to steer and go up and down kerbs etc..

i'd say go and try a few!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlzsmuzaffar
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"