Doula interview advice

Mya209

Reaction score
Newly pregnant with my second but I'm certain ill be going for a home birth this time and I'm interviewing a birth doula (who will also coach me for a hypno birth) in a few weeks.
Any hints or tips on essential things I should ask/ consider when interviewing her?
She's a 'recognised' doula.

I would want to know about her experience, how many women has she doula'ed for that wound up transfering to hospital etc... but mainly you need to be 100% comfortable with her

Yes, mainly go by comfort level. :) I'm a birth doula, and one thing I've learned is that certification doesn't mean very much. I think it's important initially, but experience and whether you two connect is the most important thing. For instance, some people think that DONA training is the best, but it really comes down to philosophy. I didn't choose to go the DONA route because I disagree with many of their policies, but I went through a training program that was just as rigorous but with philosophies with which are more important to me.

In choosing my doula for my current pregnancy (and planned home birth), I just met her, we hung out, and I asked her a few questions that were important to me. We connected, so I hired her! :D

You could also ask about services she provides. Some doulas also do placenta encapsulation, some are skilled in massage, and others will have a birth pool for you to use. My doula is lending me a birth pool, but I hired a placenta encapsulation separately. Good luck!

I'd also ask about her back up policy. Like if she for some reason can't make it, what happens.

I would definitely find out about her backup policy. I had a doula become unavailable a week before my due date, it was a disaster. Thankfully it was not my first child, and I got along without her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->