Downs screening - yes or no?

I refused as it would not change anything and after seeing so many woman on here with false positives it is not something I would want to endure.

I refused as it would not change anything and after seeing so many woman on here with false positives it is not something I would want to endure.

Just to clarify, there's not really such a thing as a "false-positive" in regards to this test.

The initial test can indicate a *potential* heightened risk, and additional non-invasive testing these days can rule either way :thumbup:

I didn't have it with my son and I won't with this baby either x

Bad word for it, meant how many come up high risk for their age group. For the ones who would NOT get further testing I think it would just cause that pregnancy to be stressful the entire time.

Then until they get the next round of testing they are freaking about the numbers and analyzing the pregnancy/US/risk factors.

BTW I do opt out of routine US. I have not had one and do not plan on having one. I do not see point for ME to have it done given I will not use that info to abort. I do understand there are a few conditions where it may make difference at the time of delivery but I also understand the chances of a healthy baby FAR outweigh one with one of the conditions that needs emergency surgery or a csection to safely come out in first place. I also know that even in US there are times it is wrong(babys spine is not correct/not visualized so mother is sent for a rescan or higher scan at hospital, or some other part is the same-appears missing or misshapen, baby is really small or large at a late scan they induce or csection to find baby is lbs lighter or heavier then scan)

Just wanted to add my experience of Down's screening.

We had the usual NHS screening at 12wks with #2 - bloods and nuchal fold measurement combined to give us a ratio. The nuchal fold measurement was well within 'normal', but combined with my bloods I got a ratio of 1:90 which was considered high for my age then (29).

The midwives totally overreacted in my opinion, calling me lots and asking me to come to the hospital to discuss our 'options'. 1:90 is 1.11%. So I had a 98.89% of having a baby without Down syndrome. I had a higher risk of msicarrying, yet it was being treated as though it was the end of the world.

Anyway. We decided to go private and had a very detailed scan on Harley Street which looked at 13 (?) different markers for Down syndrome. Putting all those measurements together, my risk dropped to 1:1300-ish. They commented however that my bloods were 'weird' and that my risk would have been much lower without my bloodwork being included.

Basically my blood goes funny in pregnancy which affects the results. When only two things are being measured, as with the NHS test, this disproportionately messes up the results.

So with #3 I will not be having the test, simply because I know it will come back high risk (I'm obviously older, so my odds are 'worse' anyway) and I'll be pressured into further testing.

Tests are never fullproof too. A good friend of mine had totally clear tests, ultrasounds everything, and it was discovered after birth that her son had Down syndrome. Not to scare people with this, but just to point out that there is never a total guarantee (amnio comes close but that brings with it other risks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->