Down's syndrome test

I had it with Olivia but spent a long time worrying about what the results might be, as if I were high risk I wouldn't have had an amnio.

So this time I've declined the screening blood tests.

I had it with Ella, TBH I wasnt asked they just did it lol, but I would have it again, I couldnt have a termination, but if you know in advance you have time to prepare, also mentally, it wouldnt be so much of a shock as you would have known for a while.

I think the thing to remember is that the blood tests can only give you a risk rating - high or low risk. So you need to ask yourself - would you have further invasive tests such as a CVS or amnio done if you came back high risk? As these carry a small risk of miscarriage.

I totally agree about being prepared would help you if your baby does have a condition or is extra special etc.

i never had it with chloe but did with callum, as with them being so close in age i wanted to know :D

Quite worrying Lucy based on knowing that I don't think I would fancy going through further tests but would be prepared it could be A or B I guess.

I'm changing my mind with MW Tuesday to get the test & hopefully 20 week scan is all good

x

I have not had nor been offered the test yet. I think they will ask about it during my next visit in a couple weeks. I would opt for it as that is certainly something I'd want to know. Only to minimise the shock if it should happen, and also give me time to do the necessary research on children with special needs.

I can understand why moms to be would worry, I certainly would. But as mentioned, if it won't make a difference in how you feel, then perhaps it's not a necessary procedure for ya. who knows

i had it done twice cause they check it twice here to confirm that there isnt anythign and both times came back good..i would recommend it because it was reassuring to know that i wouldnt have to worry about having a baby with down syndrome (though i would have kept this baby either way) ---cause i think people should be prepared for it just in case..kids with down syndrome really have more health and learning problems than kids who dont so it would give the parents at least some time to learn up on it and prepare if they were at high risk for having a baby with it..especially since they check it so early anyway in like the 2nd trimester.

I wasn't offered it with my first,and with this one I was offered it but my doctor said that considering Michael is ok and I am still young he wasn't worried and chances were slim so decided not to get it

we got told ours was high risk, so ended up having the amnio.
OMG was that painful! Baby decided to back up and sit on the needle which was quite unhelpful :dohh: So she had to mess about repostioning the needle. owwww
Anyways, the results came back: no Downs syndrome which we are thankful for.

I had the test with Tia and with this one. The nucal fold scan doesn't only detect Downs Syndrome, it can also detect Edwards Syndrome... which is what I was worried about as my sister had it.. Every baby eventually dies from this it's just a matter of time and are born incredibly handicapped. I would have teminated the pregnancy if that happened. I wouldn't have been able to put my daughter through what I went through... As for Downs well that's nothing, both my brother and sister have Downs (they are adopted) and it's not that bad.

My risk level was really high 1/1000 this time round, but it was good enough for me as the scan's all look good.

we got told ours was high risk, so ended up having the amnio.
OMG was that painful! Baby decided to back up and sit on the needle which was quite unhelpful :dohh: So she had to mess about repostioning the needle. owwww
Anyways, the results came back: no Downs syndrome which we are thankful for.[/quote
Poor you how uncomfy

I hates that "pop" as needle went in but other than that ok,but you do feel like fragile as glass after dont you?

I would never have it done again tho
Bex

Didnt have the test offered to me on the boys but was asked with angharad and same as imi it made me feel better knowing x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->