Dr wants natural but I want section

Jkelmum

Reaction score
Bit of history apart from my first my babies always go into destress in labour. I've given birth 4 times naturally one at 24 weeks a angel. Katie in the corridor on the way for a section and Ethan was a close call and lily was emergency section. So labour petrifies me and the chances of a distressed baby is high ... In uk can they refuse me a section ? I have PTSD and my anxiety is super bad so worrying more then normal

Sad to say in the uk you have to argue robustly for a section. I hope you get your wish.

I don't have any advice since I don't live in the UK but I really hope you get your C-section hun :hugs:

Yes they can refuse a section in the uk if they don't think it's appropriate. However, you've had a baby via c-section so it is highly likely that you will be allowed an elective section this time. I had a emergency section with my daughter and I am having an elective section in June. When you see the consultant just stand your ground, explain you have done all your research regarding vbac and Because of anxiety surrounding your previous deliveries and the risks around uterine rupture you feel quite strongly about wanting an elective section this time. My consultant didn't even try and talk me out of it. Xx

I'm in the UK, first baby, and I told my midwife I'd like a section. She told me that the NHS do not refuse anybody. She said that as long as I was made aware of all the possible complications and was still happy to proceed with one, I would be given one, regardless of my reasons. She said the NHS has no issues with providing them to anyone who wants one as long as they are educated about their decision.

The NHS cant refuse a CS. You dont even need a medical reason. They can require you to do counciling and need to explain carefully the extra risks involved but they cant refuse you. Sometimes you need to be very persistent to convince them though. Seeing as you has a cs before I would have thought they would just give you a choice. I haven't heard of someone who had a cs before being given a hard time over it.

You should be able to get a section on the nhs based on your history i couldnt see a problem or even having to argue it with them

No they can't refuse hun. Even without medical grounds.
They will give their opinion on what they think the best decision for you n baby is but ultimately it's your choice.

I work in nicu for the NHS and also have some experience of obstetric theatres and if an NHS consultant doesn't feel it's appropriate and feel the risks out weigh the benefits they WILL and can refuse to do a c section. They will likely just refer you to a different consultant who you will then have to push your case with. So I'm afraid you can be refused a section - however like I said previously in your situation and with your history I really feel you won't have an issue at all. You will see your consultant usually at around 20 weeks (depending on the trust) tell them your wishes and get booked in for an elective. Don't worry You will be fine xx

That's not what the nhs website says ^^

Anyways op I would just stand your ground, you know your body better than anyone x

I work in nicu for the NHS and also have some experience of obstetric theatres and if an NHS consultant doesn't feel it's appropriate and feel the risks out weigh the benefits they WILL and can refuse to do a c section. They will likely just refer you to a different consultant who you will then have to push your case with. So I'm afraid you can be refused a section - however like I said previously in your situation and with your history I really feel you won't have an issue at all. You will see your consultant usually at around 20 weeks (depending on the trust) tell them your wishes and get booked in for an elective. Don't worry You will be fine xx
An individual consultant has every right to refuse to do a CS themselves if they dont feel comfortable doing it but they are required to refer you to someone who will if it is still what you want.

^^ Yes which is exactly what I just stated in my previous post. Someone who has absolutely no medical or psychological requirement for a c section will have a mission on their hands to convince a consultant to do a c section just because they want one. x

It's odd we have all been given such conflicting information.
My conversation went like this:

'I'd like a section.'
'That's fine.'

I didn't have to do any pleading or begging or even much explaining of my reasons.

Never heard of that happening in my whole career but good for you I guess if that was your wish.
I can only share experiences from my own trust and it just wouldn't happen. I know ladies who's pregnancies have been ruined because they've been fighting for c sections and haven't been given a straight answer for months and passed from consultant to consultant and not really got anywhere. I'm not saying I agree or disagree but I do think people should be careful advicing mums that they can just book in for a section as they wish when it simply isn't that straight forward, but I will reiterate that in the OPs case - she has a perfectly valid reason for having a section and I'm sure she will certainly have no trouble getting an elective this time. I'm not going to be saying anymore about this as I feel we are beginning to go off topic with the OPs original question. Xxx

I appreciate your real life experience jessiebella. I agree that it might not always be easy. I was just stating what you have the right to under the NHS. It is useful to know your rights even if it turns out to be a battle. I'm sure the level of coporation varies from trust to trust and doctor to doctor. I agree though that the OP is unlikely to have any issue as she had a cs before.

It wasn't my consultant hoping that my consultant at 22 weeks will agree ... Thanks everyone x

The NHS can not refuse a section, however you may have to see a few different consultants to get one to agree however, in your case, i think they will lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->